GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,549
1 members and 1,548 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

As my user name suggests, I still live in Indiana and have a few ties to the university still. The housing situation is not actually as it's being portrayed by the university. For example, they want the land where the FIJI house is currently to expand the law school. They know FIJI won't make a deal unless they are guaranteed land somewhere else on campus. There are two lots for sure and possibly a third. One is next to AXO, one is next to DTD on the extension and there is room past the cul-de-sac that ADPi is on. There is an empty fraternity house on the extension right now and there are three fraternity houses leased to other organizations right now that when these leases are up, they could be leased to a new sorority. Ashton residence hall is being totally torn down and rebuilt, a chapter could be housed there temporarily until a lease can be negotiated. There are two non Greek organizations also living on Jordan. So, there are housing options for a group who can plan strategically. A friend of mine works in Greek affairs at another university but works with her chapter at IU during recruitment and she overheard that the university has contacted a couple of sororities about the possibility of presenting in the spring. She did say that the figures from the last two years do support the need for expansion. I can't say much else because I don't want to reveal her identity.

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 01-17-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Awesome. I hope it works out well for one or more additional sororities in the coming years!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

We know Panhel is looking into expansion this spring semester and will hopefully have a new chapter here in the fall. We voted to support expansion as a greek community last semester!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
As my user name suggests, I still live in Indiana and have a few ties to the university still. The housing situation is not actually as it's being portrayed by the university. For example, they want the land where the FIJI house is currently to expand the law school. They know FIJI won't make a deal unless they are guaranteed land somewhere else on campus. There are two lots for sure and possibly a third. One is next to AXO, one is next to DTD on the extension and there is room past the cul-de-sac that ADPi is on. There is an empty fraternity house on the extension right now and there are three fraternity houses leased to other organizations right now that when these leases are up, they could be leased to a new sorority. Ashton residence hall is being totally torn down and rebuilt, a chapter could be housed there temporarily until a lease can be negotiated. There are two non Greek organizations also living on Jordan. So, there are housing options for a group who can plan strategically. A friend of mine works in Greek affairs at another university but works with her chapter at IU during recruitment and she overheard that the university has contacted a couple of sororities about the possibility of presenting in the spring. She did say that the figures from the last two years do support the need for expansion. I can't say much else because I don't want to reveal her identity.
This all sounds potentially super duper, but there are a lot of "maybes" and "ifs" and conditionals in there.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you 33girl, but they will continue and to be maybes and ifs until someone actually can begin negotiations. If someone were allowed to actually sit down and work on it and put some deals in place then the 7 chapters not at IU could figure out if colonizing would be feasible. But the university wants to make it difficult.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

We discussed in the other IU thread (and some current IU students confirmed) that that's exactly the point - the university doesn't want the Greek community to grow or have any more influence than it already does. What they don't understand is that if they changed things to Q/T and brought on more groups, some of the "elitism" inherent in the current system might disappear, and make the Greek system less intimidating.

As much as Panhel is able do on its own, when it comes down to it we are all guests of our host institutions and have to put up with the way they want to play - in much the same way as we put up with crazy Uncle Herbie who never bathes and has a giant taxidermy collection (but who also has 300 million dollars in the bank).