GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
0 members and 1,394 guests
No Members online

Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Buckeye:Wow, I am so sorry. We're at 45 days today and at lunch I got a not so fun call from my fiance.

It seems that the hotel where my future MIL made reservations for our Rehearsal Dinner will be closing its doors on Oct. 1. The parent company has decided to close it due to revenue issues.

Did I mention invites went out Monday for the RD?

The parent company has said we can utilize a sister hotel and they will honor the contract. It's still in the same general location, but not nearly as close to the venue as the one before. Future MIL has a meeting on Monday to check it out.

We're going to see if we can see it tonight after our florist appt since we'll already be up there and that way future MIL won't have to waste her gas on Monday if it's a total waste.

I'm doing my best to be calm and not panic. At least it's not the wedding reception, I couldn't imagine if that happened.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
eloping is looking better and better...!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
Hey B, you know that some family member always has to act a fool at a wedding
For REALZ.

If I ever get married it is going to be destination style or Las Vegas style b/c there are several family members that are ALL ABOUT DRAMA.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
For REALZ.

If I ever get married it is going to be destination style or Las Vegas style b/c there are several family members that are ALL ABOUT DRAMA.
WORD.

If I ever got married, my family already knows the deal.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

When you marry in Vegas do you have to go early for blood tests and wait several days or is it just real easy to "show up and get married"? That link above is awesome. The Paris (Vegas) weddings sound great.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 View Post
When you marry in Vegas do you have to go early for blood tests and wait several days or is it just real easy to "show up and get married"? That link above is awesome. The Paris (Vegas) weddings sound great.
Nope. That's the 'draw' for getting married in Vegas for some. There are no tests or waiting periods. You can go down to the couthouse and get a license fairly quickly.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 View Post
Nope! You can get married before the ink is dry on the marriage license. We were married in Las Vegas

When we got ours, we had to fill out a form, they typed it we looked over it, signed it, got the license and went about our business (we didn't marry until months later). We were in and out in less than 30 minutes

They didn't even check our IDs or DH's divorce decree
Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone "banned" someone else in their family from attending their wedding? How did it all shake down? Were others offended?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Has anyone "banned" someone else in their family from attending their wedding? How did it all shake down? Were others offended?
I can't think of anyone personally other than a few "I hope my boyfriend from college doesn't show and do something embarassing." And the whole "no kids thing" can be a dealbreaker for a lot people.

I will say that I have a family member with some issues. It has yet to be decided if they will attend the wedding. Those who are involved understand the reason and are aware of the situation. If anyone might be offended, I could care less, the people that know what's up and why they're not at the wedding are the ones that matter.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
One of my friends from HS banned her aunt (mom's sister) from attending her wedding, after she repeatedly made some comments about her weight (she's not a skinny girl, but not fat by any means). She'd say things like "wow you'd better have just one piece of pie or you're never going to get into that dress" at Sunday dinners every week. She tried to ignore it but she told me that it woul make her cry sometimes.

The final straw came when the aunt came over to see her in the dress when mom was doing alterations. She came out and her aunt gasped and said "Becky, honey, I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but I think you overdid it a little at Christmas. Your dress looks a little snug." My friend waited for Aunt to leave, and cried. Mom called Aunt later to tell her that her comments had hurt her daughter's feelings, and she just said "Oh, well somebody had to tell her. I hope they're serving low fat cake at the reception."

They later decided that it would be best if Aunt did not attend the wedding. Funny thing, Aunt called crying when she didn't get an invite and saying that she loves Becky and is so offended by her childish decision. They stood their ground, but there was some fallout. Her 2 other aunts didn't show because they were mad, and now none of her mom's sisters will speak to either of them.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-11-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

We have banned said uncle mentioned above. Everyone seems to agree to the banning. Seriously..how could you not...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Okay, I am out the door to do last minute wedding prep items. I want to thank everyone for all of their advice and encouragement. It really helped! YEAH! This ZTA is going to the chapel tomorrow!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes and hope the leg feels better. We all want to see pix when you get a chance.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't invite my nasty uncle (My Dad's Brother), but since my family is so scattered, I don't think anyone really noticed. Plus none of my Dads other siblings attended my wedding (he is one of six) since my Grandma died 3 days before my wedding and her funeral was the same day as my wedding (only in a different state). Needless to say, I'm not really close with any of my Dads siblings.

My husband's great aunt wanted us to ban one of my MIL's friends from our wedding. But I told her that it wasn't up to me and she would have to talk with my MIL about it.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAMich View Post
Did you get any kind of insurance on the ring? You might want to if the warranty is no good. We have for a few items of value we own (watches, wedding rings, etc)

http://www.jewelersmutual.com/
Luckily, yes, I have insurance on the ring. Just went through last week!