GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,172
1 members and 2,171 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Can anyone help?

Our sorority held a function last weekend with alcohol present on a dry campus. There were thirty MIP's given and three individuals were taken to jail for procuring. We self-admitted to the school and they are giving us the chance to come up with punishment suggestions. They really pushed the fact that creativity goes a long way. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them.
Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-12-2005, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Do a Greek-wide presentation on Alcohol Awareness.

KLTC
Old 03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

sounds like a mess, and you're very lucky that the school is being so lenient with the punishment and not trying to get you kicked off.

Alcohol awareness presentations aren't all that complicated to put together and could work. I'd probably also add in a lot of community service...maybe specifically target something that involves alcoholism
Old 03-12-2005, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

April is Alcohol Awareness Month

19th Annual Alcohol Awareness Month

Theme—April 2005:
TOGETHER, WE CAN STOP UNDERAGE DRINKING

The NCADD has a nice kit put together with grassroots activities, press releases, op eds, PSAs, Letters to the Editor.

All of the materials may be reproduced or adapted to your own needs and distributed within your community without permission. An acknowledgment that the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. is the sponsor of Alcohol Awareness Month, and identification of our website (www.ncadd.org) as an information resource would be appreciated.

Other Awareness Activities
Fact Sheets
Old 03-12-2005, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I have problems with community service punishments that I have seen. The chapter then uses is like "Look what we did. We are so great to have sponsored this wonderful Alcohol Awareness Forum for the campus." Their name is everywhere and then it looks like they were doing it out the kindness of their heart. Oh how sweet. How about a scarlet letter? A sign in front of the house that says

We are drunks. We don't listen to the rules because we believe that we don't have to.

Or at least in the PR for the event there is a disclaimer that this is a punishment for blatantly disobeying the campus rules.

Come to the Alcohol Abuse Awareness Forum sponsored by XYZ who just sent 3 members to jail and received 30 MIPs because of violations to alcohol policy!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
I have problems with community service punishments that I have seen. The chapter then uses is like "Look what we did. We are so great to have sponsored this wonderful Alcohol Awareness Forum for the campus." Their name is everywhere and then it looks like they were doing it out the kindness of their heart. Oh how sweet. How about a scarlet letter? A sign in front of the house that says

We are drunks. We don't listen to the rules because we believe that we don't have to.

Or at least in the PR for the event there is a disclaimer that this is a punishment for blatantly disobeying the campus rules.

Come to the Alcohol Abuse Awareness Forum sponsored by XYZ who just sent 3 members to jail and received 30 MIPs because of violations to alcohol policy!
How very true.

You can do all the community service you want, have alcohol awareness programs till kingdom come, but all of that won't mean anything if shit like that continues to happen.

I know you guys are still college students out to have fun, but an official sorority function with alcohol on an obviously dry campus? Come ON.

Community service and AA programs really don't fit the crime. I like roqueemae's ideas -- show your campus officials that you guys REALLY learned your lesson.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
How very true.

You can do all the community service you want, have alcohol awareness programs till kingdom come, but all of that won't mean anything if shit like that continues to happen.

I know you guys are still college students out to have fun, but an official sorority function with alcohol on an obviously dry campus? Come ON.

Community service and AA programs really don't fit the crime. I like roqueemae's ideas -- show your campus officials that you guys REALLY learned your lesson.
While as OTW said Dont do The Crime if it is against the rules.!

You got busted, so you screwed up, Period. Dont cry now. You did it, True? Do so pay for it! Just dont do it again.

roqueemae, ah She is not a virgin when it comes to problems.. Listen and heed to many People on GC. Learn or lose. Your Chose or not it isnt it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-12-2005, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
on a more positive note...

a mistake was made. now, by your mistake you will serve as an example of what NOT to do during on-campus events.

on the punishment side, a scarlet letter? how very vintage.

the group has admitted to the mistake, and as a person who ran a chain of liquor stores for over 5 years and has held events and parties with alcohol present, I find the "we are drunks" statement harsh and offensive. frankly, whether sisters are drunks or not is not the issue.

the issue is that a rule was broken, and it is being reprimanded. i agree with community service and the alcohol awareness ideas. also, you may want to think about about doing some kind of service for the school proper. like maybe stuffing envelopes, assisting with a school sponsored event or something like that.

that's my 2 cents.....best wishes....
Old 03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by jennie3576

the issue is that a rule was broken, and it is being reprimanded. i agree with community service and the alcohol awareness ideas. also, you may want to think about about doing some kind of service for the school proper. like maybe stuffing envelopes, assisting with a school sponsored event or something like that.
But is a reprimand enough, though?

I see a reprimand as a temporary thing. A slap on the wrist, if you will. The services you mentioned probably won't have an effect on the sorority, so who's to say that it won't happen again?

30 MIPs and 3 arrests are a serious issue. Just having a function like this opens a pandora's box of things that could have happened, as we've seen in the many alcohol related deaths that have hit the Greeks recently.

Stuffing envelopes and the like is not a good enough punishment for a serious infraction.

These girls are lucky that they're not being kicked off campus. I think they need to show their campus admin how grateful they are for that, even if it means subjecting themselves to public scrutiny like that.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jennie3576
I find the "we are drunks" statement harsh and offensive. frankly, whether sisters are drunks or not is not the issue.

You are right maybe that is a little harsh. I do still believe that community service makes them look good and this is supposed to be a punishment.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A well written mea culpa in the school paper - full page ad style.

All events Alcohol free for the next calendar year.

A new education program implemented in the chapter to educate all members on responsible alcohol use.

Trip to the county jail (womens facility, obviously) to see what happens to the more serious offenders who break the law.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
A well written mea culpa in the school paper - full page ad style.
I think this one definitely needs to be done. As for the rest, I think community service can be a good thing, but if the entire campus knows that you're doing it because you screwed up royally, then you don't look quite as good.

If you don't think the community service will be effective, then maybe you girls should suspend all social events for the rest of the semester, and write an apology in the campus newspaper. But then again, I think that's the bare minimum that should be done.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 03-12-2005, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think community service can be a good thing, but if the entire campus knows that you're doing it because you screwed up royally, then you don't look quite as good.
In all fairness, there is no way out of this that is going to make this house "look good"... for breaking the rules, you should be held responsible for your actions, and personally I believe that these women should be upfront about what happened and what they're being punished for.

Obviously it will be embarassing for you girls to come out to everyone and say "Hey, we thought we were above the rules and guess what? We weren't." But you know what?? I think it could be a positive thing. Too often GLOs (and I know it only takes one chapter at one school to make Greeks EVERYWHERE look bad) think the rules don't apply to them. Unfortunately, there's always parties going on when there shouldn't be... for you to step forward to your campus, specifically your Greek community, and be honest could prove to be a huge reality check to other organizations that there are consequences to your actions.

As for this sorority in the first place... (not to spread the negativity) but if you went to my school, best case scenario you would be on social probation for the next year. And you're lucky nationals (or whoever your governing body may be) aren't pulling your charter. I find it disappointing that your school is even letting you come up "punishment suggestions"... what's the purpose in a campus being "dry" if the guilty parties come up with their own punishments?? You might as well just not enforce it at all...
Old 03-12-2005, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL Kappa
[B]In all fairness, there is no way out of this that is going to make this house "look good"...

Come on i know people who think that the tobaco companies are great because they do all those educational programs on TV about the dangers of cigarette smoke. (if you did not know the ONLY reason the commercials are done is cause the tobacco companies lost a court case where they had to pay ou tlike 8 some billion dollars). Any thing can be viewed as good expecially if there is a spin on it. I think that if they have to do anything, ie community service, letter to the school paper, that a statement in bold should be included about why they are doing what they are doing. Or more than that. The school newspaper should do an article saying why they got in trouble and how they are being punished and how any other groups caught break the rules will be punished as well. I am sorry if this upset people, but i get soooo tired of groups getting good PR cause of a punishment that was forced upon them, ie the tabacco settlement shelling out billions to get the "Good" PR on how much they care about educating the public.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Not sure why you quoted me... I agree with you.

Kind of straying from the topic.. but in my opinion it's unfortunate when groups (not just Greeks... anyone) get positive attention for doing "good" things as a result of punishment.

There are tons of organizations out there doing great things because they want to that go unnoticed.