GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,475
3 members and 1,472 guests
flirt5721

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I just sent NP a Facebook message (it showed she was on): GC is under siege from SpamBots! Send help soon!

Hopefully it's SuperMod to the rescue!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I suppose we could all PM John and ask.

I would vote for DrPhil, but that's kinda like letting the wolf guard the henhouse.
Actually, if we thought she would actually do it, it wouldn't be a bad choice - not like she's gonna get offended and go on a banning spree like many other posters we know.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM

We have four supermods, which is plenty. The degree to which they wish to participate in GC has nothing to do with anything.

Meanwhile, please, please, PLEASE stop the mindless bumping. Like Jen said, at least if you see "penis enlargement xoeijoiuf" you KNOW it's spam and can skip over it. When you see a real topic at the top, you think it might have....real new responses. It's wasting everyone's time to do this. There were something like 3 pages worth of "bump" posts yesterday, which was probably worse than the actual spam situation it was intended to remedy. STOP. CEASE. DESIST. NOW.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
We have four supermods, which is plenty. The degree to which they wish to participate in GC has nothing to do with anything.

Meanwhile, please, please, PLEASE stop the mindless bumping. Like Jen said, at least if you see "penis enlargement xoeijoiuf" you KNOW it's spam and can skip over it. When you see a real topic at the top, you think it might have....real new responses. It's wasting everyone's time to do this. There were something like 3 pages worth of "bump" posts yesterday, which was probably worse than the actual spam situation it was intended to remedy. STOP. CEASE. DESIST. NOW.
Actually, one of our Super-mods is no longer participating in Greekchat and has not been for some time now. The degree to which the remaining Supermods do or do not participate in Greekchat does have an impact on the spam.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I would have found it acceptable to have ONE thread in each forum titled something like "bump the spam" which people could have posted in repeatedly if no one was making new posts or a new spam thread appeared and they wanted to keep it away from the top. Unfortunately if there were any posts that may have interested me, or a lot of other people yesterday, we're likely not going to see them.

This isn't the first, or the last time, there has been a spam attack.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

This is an ongoing issue that we're dealing with. For those who have been around awhile, the administrator has taken several major steps in curtailing spam. First, the Supermods, second, the introductions page has been pretty good at filtering out a lot of bots.

The discussion on how to improve things is ongoing. I don't think we've seen the last of our remedial measures against Spam.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Actually, one of our Super-mods is no longer participating in Greekchat and has not been for some time now. The degree to which the remaining Supermods do or do not participate in Greekchat does have an impact on the spam.
I heartily agree with the bolded. What good is a Supermod if they're not watching the board and/or readily available by email?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

GC is free. I'm sure we can scroll past the spam until they've had time to check in. Supermods have lives outside of GC, too.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
GC is free. I'm sure we can scroll past the spam until they've had time to check in. Supermods have lives outside of GC, too.
Liar.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Liar.
Please stop slut shaming.

Signed,
k_slut

Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think that anyone was criticizing the Supermods. They definitely have their hands full with these spammers, and as you said, a life/jobs outside Greekchat. They are doing the best that they can.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think that anyone was criticizing the Supermods. They definitely have their hands full with these spammers, and as you said, a life/jobs outside Greekchat. They are doing the best that they can.
I was mainly responding to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
I heartily agree with the bolded. What good is a Supermod if they're not watching the board and/or readily available by email?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
PLEASE - may we have more supermods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Do you know if there's a plan (or a need?) to increase the number of super-mods?

It's just frustrating to not have a way to battle them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What FSUZeta said. The question was raised (by several folks) if we could have more/more involved Supermods. Not that the ones we have are bad necessarily, but if there are folks that are trusted and more involved on the boards, that would be helpful in these crazy situations.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I was about to ask whether you had lost your mind. I have no good intentions.
Well you're obviously not paving the road to hell with those intentions.

I see you as more of a hand basket type anyway, like the really nice picnic baskets that have dishes and wine glasses inside.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This is an ongoing issue that we're dealing with. For those who have been around awhile, the administrator has taken several major steps in curtailing spam. First, the Supermods, second, the introductions page has been pretty good at filtering out a lot of bots.

The discussion on how to improve things is ongoing. I don't think we've seen the last of our remedial measures against Spam.
Raise your hands and holler. Seriously people, it'll get fixed. Chillax. Use that adorable little bar on the right side of your page and scroll down. If there's crap on the first page, go to the second. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-18-2012 at 12:37 AM.