GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,370
1 members and 1,369 guests
asamathattso539

Old 09-14-2004, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

My school's band is in trouble...again

O.K. my school (Stanford) played Brigham Young University (B.Y.U.) last Saturday, and it was actually a good game. That is, not counting halftime, when the band came on the field. Now, maybe a lot of you don't know about the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band (LSJUMB for short), but here are a few facts:

We don't march.
We are very undiciplined.
We are extremely UN-P.C.
Musically, we suck (although we really have very talented musicians).
We laugh at bands like USC and all of the other precision bands.
As a undergraduate, it was fun to be different, but as an alum, it's now kind of embarassing.

The band changed back in the 1970's, after Stanford changed from the Stanford Indians to the Stanford Cardinal (the color, not the bird). Thay wanted to be "the world's largest rock-and-roll band", so they became very rowdy. I am sure that those of you old enough to remember have heard of "The Play"-stunts like that make it very hard to be a good fan (and also the fact that for the most part, we are NOT a football school-not like USC and others).

So anyway, the band comes out, and they do a halftime show making fun of the Mormons, with dancers wearing wedding veils, and making jokes about polygamy. This did not sit well with the BYU fans. We have done this before against Notre Dame, when we had a guy dressed as the Pope riding on the field in the "Popemobile", and believe me, people were not amused. Sometimes the skits can be funny (like USC being called the University of Spoiled Children), but more often, they are just barely on the line of being distasteful. With the traditional rivalries, it's fun because they make fun of us as well, but when it comes to the religious universites, then that's a problem, because they also have God on their side .

Maybe we should stick with tennis, golf, swimming, and water polo...
Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't know people from Stanford had the ability to be un-PC. There are easier ways to make fun of Catholics and Mormons, but geez.. this wasn't funny. This was just making fun of someone's religion. Kind of a low blow.

That being said, your marching band could eliminate some of the distasteful stuff and be a really kickass band. It's always nice to be something that's original. I always enjoy watching A&M when they come up here. Their band's precision drills were amazing.

I was there for 77-0 last year and if you're an A&M fan, you should know your band received a standing ovation from around 85,000 OU fans.

Being an original is a good thing though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-14-2004, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

oopsie...taking on religion is not a good thing.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds a lot like Rice's MOB (Mighty Owl Band). Some schools get really upset about some of the things they pull. They make fun of UT all the time when we play, but we laugh at them. We look forward to their halftime shows because we never know what they are going to do. It can be some pretty funny stuff.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

HAHA - okay, I'm sorry its not really funny - but it kinda is, b/c some poor soul thought up this "great idea" and who does it?? - the band!

Stanford's band has some great stories
Old 09-14-2004, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, so I was looking for pics of the "pope mobile" -God, I'm going to hell for laughing at all of this- but, I found these.....

Old 09-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Eh...I find the Stanford band funny.

Everything from the uniforms, to the football game were the players went into the band, and how they're banned from an airline because they all got up and jumped on one side.

-Rudey
Old 09-14-2004, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I think this is hilarious. It's sad when people take religion so seriously that they see no humor in anything surrounding it.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

The First Amendment: Live it, learn it, love it.

This is pretty typical for the bands from "good schools," which often have the tendency to be really PC...except for the band. The Columbia Band (CUMB) has gotten a LOT of people upset in the past year...most notably when the Lions were playing Fordham, which is a Jesuit school:

“Fordham’s tuition is going down like an altar boy.”

This probably isn't going to change for a while. Most of the student bodies of the schools in question don't complain, and it would take more upset from the inside...and not just from a competing school.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy
That girl rocks.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer
Sounds a lot like Rice's MOB (Mighty Owl Band). Some schools get really upset about some of the things they pull. They make fun of UT all the time when we play, but we laugh at them. We look forward to their halftime shows because we never know what they are going to do. It can be some pretty funny stuff.
I was just about to say this.

My favorite MOB routine was the Kamikaze Armadillo Death Squad. (For the non-Texans in the audience, armadillos have an annoying tendency to become speed bumps when they're dumb enough to hang out on a freeway. For a dinosaur that forgot to die, it's amazing they've lasted this long.)

As long as you're not poking fun of someone's religion or race - ie, or any stuff that would get a fraternity suspended, or anything someone has the right to call sacred - you can come up w/ some great offbeat stuff.

If all a group/band can do is reinforce religious stereotypes, then they're not as creative or even as good as they think.

-add
Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Meh, BFD. I've seen worse mocking elsewhere.

I love those select few who bring the "Sex before Marriage" signs whenever we play BYU.

Stone Cold Sober......................booooooo
Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan

If all a group/band can do is reinforce religious stereotypes, then they're not as creative or even as good as they think.
The point with some of these organizations is that they're not supposed to be good in the way that the USC Marching Band or the Marching 100 are. They're supposed to be jerks.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Deleted because I really do not give a rat's ass about this topic as much as people think, or the snarks who still belong in highschool.

Quote away.....

Last edited by adduncan; 09-14-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

Why do people who aren't Greek speak for Greeks so often?

-Rudey