GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,789
0 members and 1,789 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2015, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Academic Disqualification

Hello, I had a few questions about my current situation. I was academically disqualified from a UC during my freshman year, and I was in a Panhellenic Sorority. Since then, I have been able to raise my GPA at a community college, and I am planning to transfer to a California State University. My question is, are there rules against joining another sorority? What is the proper way to join another (different) sorority? If I was disqualified from the school, does that mean I was essentially kicked out of my sorority as well? I was really overwhelmed my freshman year, and I am not very familiar with the regulations. Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you in advance!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends. Were you initiated in this panhellenic sorority?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Newbie, you can never join another NPC sorority if you were initiated. If there isn't a chapter of your sorority at your new school, contact your sorority's national office to make sure you have alumna status.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie93 View Post
Hello, I had a few questions about my current situation. I was academically disqualified from a UC during my freshman year, and I was in a Panhellenic Sorority. Since then, I have been able to raise my GPA at a community college, and I am planning to transfer to a California State University. My question is, are there rules against joining another sorority? What is the proper way to join another (different) sorority? If I was disqualified from the school, does that mean I was essentially kicked out of my sorority as well? I was really overwhelmed my freshman year, and I am not very familiar with the regulations. Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you in advance!
Assuming you were initiated before you left school you cannot join any other NPC sorority. After you left school you may have been changed from "active collegiate" to "alumnae" status.

Before your school "disqualified" you did your chapter have any talks with you about your GPA? Were you on academic probation with the chapter? That could impact what your current status may be with your sorority. You should email your National HQ to ask about your current status. If you owed any money to your chapter when you left school that could impact things too.

If your new school has a chapter of your sorority and you are in good financial standing you may be able to request reinstatement of your active collegiate status. This process varies between NPC groups but in general you'd get to know the chapter, they would take a vote, then you'd become a regular member again. If you do that you'd owe chapter dues, etc but also be able to attend social events, and must attend required events. You'd have all the same responsibilities of any other chapter member until you left school or graduated.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi! Thank you all for the informative responses. I do believe that I was changed to alumna status, but I will definitely double check. Also, my new school does not have a chapter of my sorority so I will not be able to request a reinstatement. Just to be clear, even if I am an alumna from the sorority, I cannot join another sorority at my new college? It's prohibited regardless of being active or an alumna? Thank you again for your responses!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
That is correct. If you have been initiated into an NPC sorority you can not ever join another NPC sorority. If there is no chapter of your sorority at your new school, you should check into joining an alumnae group.