GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,244
3 members and 1,241 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

A social re-build?

Hey guys!
Im new to all this, so Im not so sure what Im doing, but I need some help.
I just got handed the responsibility of social chair in my sorority. The old social chair went inactive, and then it was passed to me. In my sorority we have some problems with cliques. Girls are hanging out with the same sisters, and they arent inviting them to hang out with each other, so sisters are getting left out, and people are getting hurt. I want to have a social re-build, being that I am social chair, to try and let sisters talk and get their feelings out, but Im not really sure how to do this. I have some ideas, I thought about doing this on a Saturday afternoon, we would sit in a big circle and have a sort of "talking stick", so only one person can talk... after that Im not sure where to go, Im not sure how to set it up. Should I ask questions, or should it just be a kind of "hey, if you have something to say, then say it now..." and then take the conversation from there? Any ideas and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Shana-Sigma Alpha Iota.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should talk with a couple of members (the ones that probably need the talk) about what kinds of questions might be helpful. They probably know better than anyone what needs to be addressed. Tell members to try to be constructive and to focus on issues that are affecting the group and not the types of personal one-on-one issues that are better addressed in a different setting. Talk to some of your chapter leaders to see if they have other suggestions for ground rules.

Start out with a couple positive questions (like asking people to talk about the chapter strengths or people they think have done an exceptional job or people that have been incredibly supportive sisters). Then get into some more heavy questions after people have relaxed. Keep the format casual and let it morph if it needs to, so long as no one is crossing the line.

Make sure you have a "forward-looking" question to end the event. Something hopeful, like "after hearing everything we've talked about, what is something you're looking forward to in the future or something you think is going to be better?"

Oh yeah, and have snacks or something. I think it makes it more of a casual non-intervention-like atmosphere.