GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,135
4 members and 2,131 guests
John

Old 10-02-2000, 12:51 AM
wonderingsis

Post Oregon State

Can someone tell me the reputations of the various sororities at Oregon State? I've looked everywhere to find info on them, but only 2 have websites, so it's hard. I especially would like info on Chi Omega, Tri Delt and Delta Gamma.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-02-2000, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I've learned on this site, I've found that it is best for you not to focus on the reputation of a sorority at a particular school. Rather, focus on the sorority as a whole. You are joining a chapter, but you are also joining a much bigger organization as a whole. Study the different sororities. Learn about them and find one that is most in line with what you believe and want from such a huge committment -- also make sure they want what you are willing to offer. Consider what you want both during your undergraduate experience since a sorority is a life long committment. Then, if you truly love your sorority, you won't care so much about the local reputation. If anything, you will love your sorority so much you will do what it takes to repair the sorority's reputation if that is called for. Take on a leadership position and work to realign the chapter with the national goals that brought you to your sorority to begin with.
Old 10-02-2000, 06:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

**WOW** Asia! That was AWESOME! Very well thought out and put into words! Thanks for summing it up in a very POWERFUL way!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-02-2000, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Asia has given good advice. If you read these boards regularly, you will see letters from girls who joined something they thought was the popular thing to do, rather than the sisters that would be best for them. Look at each house from the perspective of how they get along, what their philanthropy is,and how you fit in. Be less concerened with who is popular and the best in someone elses eyes, and more with what is a great fit for you. This is a lifetime experience that can go on way past college. The three you mentioned are big nationally, but that is no guarantee that the chapter where you are is right for you. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2000, 06:26 PM
wonderingsis

I think I've been misunderstood~

I don't go to Oregon State and I'm not joining a sorority, it's my sister that goes there and is joining (or has joined...I don't know when they do it...we don't exactly talk much). I just wanted to know what the reputations were. I just want to know what she's getting herself into.
Old 10-02-2000, 07:47 PM

Smile

If you are worried or concerned about your sister, here's an idea - go visit her for a weekend and hang out with her and her new sisters (that is if she's already pledging). Anything someone from outside the sisterhood tells you won't put your mind at ease as much as meeting them in person.

If she still needs to go through the rush process, which is where the sororities pick their new members and vice versa (sorry to condescend if you already know that), just be there for her to vent or get her feelings out. Rush can be a very confusing time and sometimes it helps to have someone to just vent it all out to.

Campus "reputations" are usually unfounded stereotypes, with about as much reality as 90210 or Melrose Place. If your sister finds a group she is comfortable with, that's the most important thing.

If you are worried about hazing or anything along those lines, contact the greek affairs office at OSU and ask if any of the sororities are on probation. (I believe this is public info and they can tell you this - someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old 10-04-2000, 01:29 AM
wonderingsis

I'm not exactly close to my sister, actually she's more not close to me, so she'd only see me asking as butting in where i don't belong. I was just wondering if anyone here went to Oregon State and could tell me about the sororities, just so I know. I won't get a straight answer out of her, that much I know.