GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,473
0 members and 2,473 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at UGA as a transfer?

Hey I just transferred this semester, went to a small school before and their wasn't really a Greek life. Is it weird at UGA to rush in the fall if you are going to be a junior ? Do only freshman get bids ? I have heard of some schools were they don't care but could be more competitive here.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully some fraternity men familiar with UGA can help you out. I am familiar with sorority recruitment, but not the guy's side.

Last edited by greekdee; 04-04-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

FRATERNITY, Greekdee!!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Oops -- deleting my comments because I'm an idiot.

(To the OP -- I did initially give you a long answer...thinking you were asking about sorority recruitment. My "duh." Best wishes to you!)

Last edited by greekdee; 04-04-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that I understand you are a guy and not seeking a sisterhood, I will say that I am in the North Atlanta area -- my oldest son has quite a few friends who are in fraternities at UGA and I have friends who have sons who are active in UGA Greek Life. The majority did begin at UGA and pledge as freshmen, but we know a few who were upperclassmen when they received bids. I don't know if it's normal or likely for that to happen...just saying I know some cases where it has.

If this is something you want, by all means give it a shot.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Oops -- deleting my comments because I'm an idiot.
Happens to the best of us It was a REALLY good sorority answer, though!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

During the first week of school I met a junior guy who was pledging a fraternity here. It's doable.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

To the O.P.: since I feel like I kind of screwed up your thread by initially thinking you wanted to join a sorority, I figured the least I could do was ask someone who has a good knowledge of the UGA fraternity system. I'm Facebook friends with most of my son's UGA friends and run into them out there all the time...so I just asked one of them. (Known these guys since kindergarten, been their Team Mom, Den Mother, still see them some during breaks, close friends with their parents...nothing creepy about me FB-ing them with a question, really

So I asked one who is a UGA junior and in a fraternity that is very active on campus. He, in turn, is very active with it. Here's what he said: You should most definitely rush. He said that yes, it's a little uncommon for juniors to rush fraternities at UGA, but there are some who do and fraternities don't perceive there being anything wrong with doing so. His advice:

1. Register for formal fall recruitment as soon as possible.
2. If you know anyone in any fraternities, let them know you are rushing
3. Make every effort to attend summer rush events hosted by fraternities. He said that at UGA, most of the fraternity recruitment process does take place over the summer. He also said there isn't a master calendar announcing these summer events and that the only way to really find out about them is through people you know. This is why he said it's important to contact any men you know who are already in fraternities...so...

Do you know anyone in any UGA fraternities?

Now, you aren't necessarily out of luck if you can't make it to summer events, and some people can't because of distance...but if you can, do. Son's friend also said if you do know people in fraternities, the sooner you let them know your plans, the better. If you don't register and let them know until July, you might miss a great opportunity being held in June.

Anyway, juniors rush, some receive bids and you will never know if you don't try.