GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,045
2 members and 1,043 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Is YOUR NPHC Sorority Enough?

OK, with several NPHC Centennials coming up, I have starting having some very interesting philosophical discussions about the future NPHC sororities.

I was chatting with a few folks recently about why they desire to join other selective membership organizations after they join an NPHC sorority (i.e. Links, Jack and Jill, Chums, Moles, Girlfriends, etc.)

All of the folks present at this discussion are members of at least one other selective membership organization. Reasons for joining other organizations included frustration within their sorority, family tradition and legacy, and desire to network with a larger group of women.

I shared that some older members believe that their respective NPHC sorority should serve all of our organizational need states and; that we shouldn't seek to join other selective member organizations.

Is your NPHC Sorority enough?
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 08-30-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't mind a fraternity man's response....

PERSONALLY, I have thought about joining other social/fraternal orgs that were SMALLER than Alpha in that I was looking for a more intimate fraternal experience.

I decided against it because, well, who has the time??? I'm in Alpha Phi Omega as well as Alpha Phi Alpha and currently sit on a local board for each, with national elected or hired aspirations for each. Right now, APO and Alpha are all I need and serve very different purposes in my life personally and professionally.

Now I know a woman who is an AKA, Gamma Sigma Sigma, Alpha Wives, Link, Archousa (sp?), Red Hat Club, and a few more I can't think of. I guess she has the time and resources to do all that, but I don't see the point. Do one or two things really well, not everything kinda okay.

(I don't think she's in OES that I think about it.)

ETA: I wanted to respond to something else you said.... I guess for me, I needed to pledge Alpha after APO because I knew that neither org would fulfill ALL my needs. To paraphrase what Jitterbug said about OPhiA.... in APO I gain brotherhood through the service... in Alpha I serve because of the brotherhood.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

NPCer throwing in a thought here:

The people who join Greek Orgs, tend to be all-around "joiners". It's not that one group isn't "enough", it's that they LIKE being involved.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Senusret... who has the time? If you're serving in your NPHC org to the fullest, then there really isn't much time left over for other groups. I know that after joining AKA, I was initially a little overwhelmed (in a good way, of course!) by the sheer number of service activities and committees in which I could participate.

While I think all of the orgs you listed are valuable, if you're devoted to your sorority or fraternity, there just isn't time for them.

But I'm just a neo, so what do I know?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Soror,
This is an interesting question. Personally, the Sorority serves all of my needs. I have neither the time nor do I want to shell out any more money being a member of this group and that group. I also have friends that serve the needs that I have for friendship (in addition to sorors who are close friends). Because I have my needs for service, interacting with elite AA women, friendship and the lack of any idea that I must join other orgs to be elite, all of my needs are met through the Sorority or just everyday life. Further, I have my fill of positive dealings with women through my Sorority and my other everyday life so I really don't have a desire to add any social/service orgs to my plate. I would only consider joining an org that complemented my other interests (career, dating, etc.).

It is also not feasible for me because I try to keep things in balance and if I join any other orgs, then my org life is taking up the time that some other portion of my life could have, such as dating, family, career, which are also important to me. I do notice that some women who join this group and that group don't do as much in the way of dating, don't spend as much time with family or have a career that provides them with much more free time. I prefer to have a balance and to still be able to sleep a sufficient number of hours at night, which is hard to do if you are running from this committee meeting to that planning meeting, trying to date, working late sometimes, etc. It is tough, at least it would be for me. So that's my preferred approach.

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post
OK, with several NPHC Centennials coming up, I have starting having some very interesting philosophical discussions about the future NPHC sororities.

I was chatting with a few folks recently about why they desire to join other selective membership organizations after they join an NPHC sorority (i.e. Links, Jack and Jill, Chums, Moles, Girlfriends, etc.)

All of the folks present at this discussion are members of at least one other selective membership organization. Reasons for joining other organizations included frustration within their sorority, family tradition and legacy, and desire to network with a larger group of women.

I shared that some older members believe that their respective NPHC sorority should serve all of our organizational need states and; that we shouldn't seek to join other selective member organizations.

Last edited by SummerChild; 08-30-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally, all orgs/groups I joined (or am considering joining) post-DST initiation were not because of a void left by Delta. For the most part, I was asked to join said groups because of the leadership and committment I've shown to Delta. In reference to those that I joined on my own (as in it was my initial idea, not as result of a suggestion/nomination/outside encouragement), I did so because I felt that my experience within Delta would be benefit that org, or because, as Summerchild stated, it highly complemented another personal interest.

ETA: Which is not to say that DST does not have some sort of small group of Sorors with the same "other" interest. Delta is about scholarship, service and sisterhood - things that I engaged in pre-DST, support through DST, and outside of DST. If I limit all those interactions to just within Delta, I'm gravely robbing my community of the gift that is me.

Corporate Thuggin'

Last edited by Infamous12; 08-30-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Good question.

Personally Delta takes up most of my discretionary time.

On the other hand, my mother who was also a die-hard Delta was also in Jack and Jill (which was for the sake of us kids,) TLOD, and the Association of Business Women. And she held leadership positions in all. Plus she was in two bridge clubs.

As someone mentioned above, my mother was a "joiner" and needed all of those interactions.

I treasure my alone time.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous12 View Post
ETA: Which is not to say that DST does not have some sort of small group of Sorors with the same "other" interest.
I started the Alpha Renaissance for that purpose. We are a group of Alphas who are in artistic professions. Although it's a pain in the heiney to organize, it's worth it to professionally network with brothers who understand the arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
I treasure my alone time.

So does my mom! Although I'm not quite the exact opposite, I do value the notion of making plans to "do nothing." I am no good to Alpha or APO if I am too burned out to work! Plus, with 182 financial brothers, I'm sorry, I REFUSE to be at each and every program.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I would not say that Alpha Kappa Alpha is not enough for me, I am very active in my chapter and I even serve on the exec. board, but I am a joiner.

I am in several other organizations, such as MO Black Legislative Caucus, National Association of Black Journalist, NAACP to name a few and I do take a lesser role in those orgs because I do spend so much time with Alpha Kappa Alpha.

As I get older I want to join other women's orgs because I love the networking opportunities and I also like to align myself with like minded, success women.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
At this point in my life, Alpha Kappa Alpha is enough for me. I am educated and professional, but I am not in a profession that would put me at the income level I think you need for the Links, Girl Friends, etc., and I'm not married.

AKA keeps me wonderfully busy and engaged!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not joined other orgs besides DST (other than NSBE when I was still in school). I am an introvert, so I also treasure my alone time, which is not much when my mother, grandmother and husband/children demand so much of my time.

I have, however, pursued educational opportunities which fulfill other goals (career advancement, networking, learn new skills, leadership opportunities, etc.). IF I join another organization, it will be professional in nature specific to my business/career. I have explored several business sororities, co-ed fraternities, black and/or female orgs as well as geographically and industry-specific orgs. I haven't found 'the' org yet...
Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yes.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. to get the leadership, exposure and training for interactions I normally do not develop in my career. Such as, budgets, organizing a 501c3 non-profit, interacting with other non-profits in my local area, people connections. My career, is about exactness, as a scientist, I have precision, I only interact with co-workers who are introverted by nature and I read very complex articles that are sometimes boring.

I like just serving my Sorority because it gets me out of that shell of my work life. And I feel good by serving others. I am sure you can get that elsewhere, i.e. church, etc. But I like to keep my faith separated from my politics...

Of course, realistically, I know I cannot serve as a representative of my sorority in everything because there is too much. I can join other groups for that purpose. So, slowly, I am joining my college alumnae association that has different kinds of rules of interactions than my Sorority. I did join a church, but I found that they did not want to be an example of Christ by choosing which Sundays to serve communion... Or argue with various groups of people about their lifestyles rather than feeding the homeless. I felt became a waste of my time.

With Alpha Kappa Alpha, I know where I will always stand. Her perpetual body is unwavering. And through the years, we find that things are worthwhile to allow me to have truly lived my day...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 08-30-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Yes.
[hijack]

Where have you been Miss Missy or Dr. D?!? Hi!!!

[/end hijack]

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta is more than enough for my social service and sisterhood needs.

I have friendship ties for other social and sisterhood needs. I join other organizations because they are professional memberships.

I don't like people enough to always be in meetings and stuff. Some people feel they have to have a hand in everything. I'd rather sit back and let others help the community and kick it without me.

I know that I'll reap the benefits from many other organizations' social networks and service projects directly or indirectly.