GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,206
0 members and 1,206 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Stories of Sisterhood

Let's share stories of what sisterhood means - I'll go first.

My grandfather died almost two years ago, leaving my grandmother in Tyler, TX with a great deal of yard work (he was a master gardener back in the day).She told me she was overwhelmed with a number of small jobs that she physically just could not do. I knew we had a Gamma Phi Beta colony in Tyler, so I got an e-mail off to the consultant.We talked on the phone, and the next thing you know, 26 Gamma Phis were at my grandmother's house, mulching the yard, cleaning out the pond, etc.
I had never met them; they had never met me. But they are my sisters, and I am so grateful to them for helping my grandmother. Love, labor, learning and loyalty - personified.

What's your story?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Trisana58 Send a message via Yahoo to Trisana58
That's beautiful...

Old 06-17-2007, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Yesterday, as of June 16, 2007 and a long year of planning, my city culminated with the 2007 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. My sorors and I sat on the Race Planning Committee and worked Registration and Survivor's Breakfast.

It was a lot of work, such as getting up at 4 AM and staying around until 2 PM.

Here are some pictures below:

and

I am truly happy as a result. Good idea!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 06-17-2007, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

That is great! Y'all rock!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM

I love these types of stories! AKA_Monet, congrats on a great event and gorgeous pictures. Same goes to the Gamma Phis at Tyler, because if that isn't living your ideals I don't know what is.

As for me, I was hit by an drunk driver while I was in college. The driver was older and not a student. Luckily, I was only in the hospital for a week but spent the next few years recovering and going through various surgeries and so on. As soon as my sisters heard about the accident, they came in and decorated my hospital room with get well posters, AOII letters, and pandas and roses *everywhere*. In addition, a lot of my friends in other sororities came in and did the same, so my room was not only AOII but Panhellenically decorated!

Virtually my entire chapter came to the hospital on Sunday afternoon after Canoe Regatta (a big intramural thing at my school). My parents, who never really “got” the whole sorority thing, were so impressed to see such an outpouring of love and support from AOII. Same goes for the guy I was barely starting to date at the time (now my DH). Even 20+ years later my mom still comments about how the AOIIs supported me during that time.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ladies!

More pictures posted here

Oh, we worked closely with the ladies of Zeta Tau Alpha alumni and undergraduate; as well as the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 06-17-2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad everything worked out for you, AOIIalum - and how wonderful to have the support of not only your AOII sisters, but the Panhellenic community!
I hope PNMs read these stories - it is often so hard to portray the strength of our sisterhoods.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 PM

My chapter moved into a new house in fall of 2005.

We were pretty excited to be in our new house, mainly because of the dramatic staircase in the foyer. It was really beautiful, but it was also hardwood and slippery.

That summer was hectic because all of our House Tours party plans were made for our old house. So we were working twice as hard during Refinement Week to basically put together a whole new party to fit the new house.

This particular day, we'd all been up since 8am trying to work on the line up for House Tours. We were trying to figure out how to arrange girls on the top of the staircase.

Background: I have CP, so I am extremely accident prone.

My Big asked if I wanted to just stand on the bottom, but I'm stubborn, so I insisted that I could line up at the top like everyone else. I made it up to the top just fine. But while I was standing up there, I sneezed, slipped and tumbled all the way down (that's 25 hardwood stairs folks)!

When I hit the bottom, I was so shocked that I didn't move, but I remember mumbling that I was fine. Over their screams of "Oh My God", I guess no one heard me. Before I could attempt to get up, my Big and 2 other girls were like "DON'T MOVE". They picked me up, put me in a car, and drove me to the ER.

I figured that the rest of the girls would stay behind and finish working on recruitment since classes started the next day. Nope. Everybody got in their cars behind us and came to the hospital too.

I was in the ER pretty much all day waiting, getting x-rays and making sure nothing was broken and was pretty sore and miserable. They all stayed as long as they could (before the hospital told some of them to leave). It was nice to know that I had them to hold my hand and take my mind off of the annoyance and misery of being in the ER. I remeber a nurse telling me "Wow, those girls sure do care alot about you to stay here all day."

I ended up with a few stitches and sprains-nothing major. The Dr said it could've been WAY worse.

I was released later at night and they ALL came with my Big to come pick me up. Over the next couple of days, I had plenty of phone calls, texts, and dorm visits to see how I was doing.

When you talk about sisterhood, that's one of the days that sticks out in my mnd.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-18-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I love stories like these! Makes me glad I've decided to throw my hand in in recruitment.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post

Are these alumnae or undergraduates? When I first saw it my thought was along the lines of "Those junior high girls are gonna get a beat down!" Then I realized if you're posting it they're not perps. They look sooooo young!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Are these alumnae or undergraduates? When I first saw it my thought was along the lines of "Those junior high girls are gonna get a beat down!" Then I realized if you're posting it they're not perps. They look sooooo young!
Yes, these undergraduates are sooooooo young to me... Ironically, some of their mothers are my age. They do attend the State colleges in the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

My story: My linesister (a girl in my "pledge class") is my "Back" (the girl who walked behind me while we walking in a straight line/queue) had lost contact over the years. But, last year, she found me and emailed me to say she will "always have my back!"

I know. But that's my story.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, these undergraduates are sooooooo young to me... Ironically, some of their mothers are my age. They do attend the State colleges in the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

My story: My linesister (a girl in my "pledge class") is my "Back" (the girl who walked behind me while we walking in a straight line/queue) had lost contact over the years. But, last year, she found me and emailed me to say she will "always have my back!"

I know. But that's my story.
I liked the subtitles for the NPHC impaired. Sincerely, I thought it was thoughtful of you to include the additional explanations.

And it can be really powerful to be reminded that the close relationships you had can carry over in the present even when you have been out of touch.

I can't think of any stories with the depth of the ones here, but they are definitely inspirational.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
It was a lot of work, such as getting up at 4 AM and staying around until 2 PM.
Great job! I am impressed with your dedication & commitment, because I must admit, on the weekends,
I <3 sleeping! You did GOOD!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Those stories are all so wonderful!

My group is a local, so we're all we have (w. alumni of course) and there are so many times when I was sick (I had severe strep throat more times than I can count, and had to be rushed to the ER when my throat would close) and my sisters would check on me every hour, literally sit and feed me soup and water and watch movies with me for hours on end. When I was so far away from home, that was the best thing that they could have done for me.

We've had a few sisters that have lost parents and close friends suddenly and all of my sisters banded together and helped out, went to the funeral, etc....

I feel blessed everyday to have these wonderful girls in my life.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This has been one of my favorite threads!