GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,278
2 members and 1,276 guests
g41965

Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Guest1

another stepping group

i'm pretty sure that jersey city university steps- or at least they did at one of the conferences a few years ago
Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Agreed, Title IX and IRS designations have nothing to do with each other, but it is the Title IX regulation that forces groups to either be Social Fraternities/Sororities or not Social Fraternities/Sororities. Only Social Fraternities and Sororities have the exemption in Section (A)(6)(a). Not professional F/S, not Honor F/S and not Service F/S. If Delta Sigma Theta were to legally claim to be a Service Sorority rather than a Social Sorority, they would be placing themselves in the legal situation of having to admit men to the collegiate chapters inside the United States. The text of Title IX is at http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/cor/coord/titleixstat.htm . You may want to work through the text of the "Iron Arrow" case http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...l=464&invol=67

As for 501c3 vs 501c7, Alpha Phi Omega is 501c3, but that largely has to do with the fact that when Alpha Phi Omega applied for that status, it was more strongly tied to the Boy Scouts of America. I've seen other service groups that are 501c7.
And my point is Title IX did not force us to declare ourselves as a social sorority. We did that when we were founded. So for us Title IX was moot.
We are first and foremost a sisterhood founded for public service. The sisterhood is what makes us social.

And I don't need to work through the text of anything. As a member for 38 years, I know the inner workings of my sorority--you don't.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Shrug, what makes a BGLO then?
The things that cancel groups like APO out.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
And I don't need to work through the text of anything. As a member for 38 years, I know the inner workings of my sorority--you don't.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And my point is Title IX did not force us to declare ourselves as a social sorority. We did that when we were founded. So for us Title IX was moot.
We are first and foremost a sisterhood founded for public service. The sisterhood is what makes us social.

I think what the question that will eventually be asked is this:

What is the difference (other than Title IX) between Delta declaring themselves to be a service sorority and Alpha Phi Omega actually being a service fraternity? Is it a matter of substance over form? Just curious...
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't see where naraht said or implied any different. In fact, it sounds like you're in agreement.

I remember when I had this discussion with GC people before I was an Alpha.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't see where naraht said or implied any different. In fact, it sounds like you're in agreement.

I remember when I had this discussion with GC people before I was an Alpha.
Reread her last post and then reread my response. Delta was not forced to make any declaration because of Title IX. That is my point.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My apologies for misreading. I thought that you were claiming that Title IX didn't apply to you based on IRS status. A6a certainly applies!

I sort of wish you had been over on Wikipedia, I've been dealing with this overthere for quite sometime, with an Alpha Phi Alpha brother declaring that Alpha Phi Alpha is a service fraternity. Information from the NIC (which APhiA also belongs to) bylaws hasn't been incredibly convincing to him. And for some reason Alpha Phi Alpha's constitution and bylaws aren't published online...

Any suggestions for gifts for our Elementary School Principal (who is a DST) for taking a promotion to Title I director for our school system (Montgomery County Maryland)

Randy
Old 05-29-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
The things that cancel groups like APO out.
Could you be a *tiny* bit more specific?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post

What is the difference (other than Title IX) between Delta declaring themselves to be a service sorority and Alpha Phi Omega actually being a service fraternity? Is it a matter of substance over form? Just curious...
Why will this question be asked? As I said what Delta is, is a sisterhood. What she does is public service. And we believe that the quality of our service is only as strong as our sisterhood. So it is first priority.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post

I think the primary differences are probably Title IX and mutual exclusivity. All of the rules for mutual exclusivity I've seen have been for social greeks though I think someone said they affect some of the music professional groups (Sigma Alpha Iota?, Delta Omicron? a few others?)
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I sort of wish you had been over on Wikipedia, I've been dealing with this overthere for quite sometime, with an Alpha Phi Alpha brother declaring that Alpha Phi Alpha is a service fraternity. Information from the NIC (which APhiA also belongs to) bylaws hasn't been incredibly convincing to him. And for some reason Alpha Phi Alpha's constitution and bylaws aren't published online...
Tell him I SAID APhiA is not a service fraternity! You don't need our bylaws to prove that.

Social fraternities and sororities have certain hallmarks. Who is that guy, anyway?

Anyway, I'm going to bed.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My apologies for misreading. I thought that you were claiming that Title IX didn't apply to you based on IRS status. A6a certainly applies!

Any suggestions for gifts for our Elementary School Principal (who is a DST) for taking a promotion to Title I director for our school system (Montgomery County Maryland)

Randy
A beautiful ebony elephant with ivory tusks!
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Get her what you would give her if she wasn't a Delta.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Could you be a *tiny* bit more specific?
Naraht, I don't think you wanna ask that question to her. Trust me, let it go...