GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,421
2 members and 1,419 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thinking back...I did see a very new-looking KKG sewn-letters shirt at the Salvation Army years ago. I had forgotten all about it. I bought it and sent it to one of the old-time Kappas here, I think iamsohappythatiama.

Last edited by carnation; 10-10-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2023, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Something that bounced in my mind...

If this is a shirt that is worn by a 7 year old, it is *very* unlikely to be surplus, since those would be in adult sizes.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Something that bounced in my mind...

If this is a shirt that is worn by a 7 year old, it is *very* unlikely to be surplus, since those would be in adult sizes.
You would be surprised by how big some children are in elementary school. I certainly have worked with youngsters who could wear adult sizes. And also children whose families didn’t have much would put clothes on them that may be too big.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
It's a shirt on a 7-year-old. Who cares?
We care.
Old 10-10-2023, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a homeless client who wore a donation shirt with Greek letters (like an event tshirt) on it in a facility I worked at. She literally only owned like two shirts, so I wasn’t about to go bum-rushing over there and ripping her shirt off when she was already dealing with enough problems in her life. And anyone who would is…a word that’s probably not very polite to use on a forum.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
A teacher in Nashville saw that a child in her class was wearing an AKA shirt. Since the child is not a member, the teacher confiscated the shirt and gave the child a new shirt. Complicating matters...the child is white and got the shirt as a hand-me-down from the mother's friend.

I would think that, because "AKA" are Latin letters, which don't read as "Greek", the mother didn't know it was a "Greek" shirt. Plus, a general member of the public wouldn't know what the significance of 1908 is anyway. They probably thought it was just the logo of the clothing brand or something. The teacher could have addressed it differently than to take the little girl's shirt from her and sending her home in a different outfit.

Link: https://www.newschannel5.com/news/wh...-letters-on-it
I tend to believe that the second grade girl and her mother had no knowledge that this shirt was related to a Greek letter organization. It was sparkly and that appealed to this little girl.

From watching the news story in the link, the shirt has been returned to the girl with an apology from the school administration. The reading intervention teacher has been instructed to alert administration should this situation arise again. That seems like an appropriate resolution to me.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

If I dropped my kid off at school with the shirt I put on her that morning, and when I picked her up from school she was wearing a different shirt? I’d ask her why she’s wearing a different shirt. And where is the shirt she had on this morning? Where’d the teacher get the other shirt from? I don’t know who was wearing that shirt. After my kid told me what happened, I’d get out of the car, go into the school and raise all kinds of hell. You mean to tell me you took a shirt off of my kid’s back, and then turned around and put somebody else’s musty ass shirt on MY kid? Have you lost your mind?!!! They’d have to call the cops on me. I’d clown on the teacher and principal. I’d try to get that teacher fired.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 10-10-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
If I dropped my kid off at school with the shirt I put on her that morning, and when I picked her up from school she was wearing a different shirt? I’d ask her why she’s wearing a different shirt. And where is the shirt she had on this morning? Where’d the teacher get the other shirt from? I don’t know who was wearing that shirt. After my kid told me what happened, I’d get out of the car, go into the school and raise all kinds of hell. You mean to tell me you took a shirt off of my kid’s back, and then turned around and put somebody else’s musty ass shirt on MY kid? Have you lost your mind?!!! They’d have to call the cops on me. I’d clown on the teacher and principal. I’d try to get that teacher fired.
The total irony of your signature line.....

"A MAN’S STRENGTH IS DEMONSTRATED BY HIS GENTLENESS AND HIS KINDNESS"
Old 10-10-2023, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post

😂😂 That would be an exception. I would NOT be kind in that situation.
Old 10-10-2023, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

When my daughter was in middle and high school, she would sometimes wear my husband's old Pi Kappa Phi sweatshirt (not to school though). It's a comfy big shirt. She's obviously not a brother.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hollered! The mental of this made me Lmao!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post

Lmao!
Old 10-10-2023, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
LOL!! You clearly articulated what I was thinking, but stated it so much better!

Surely this could have been handled better initially. It didn't sound nice. Or compassionate. Or like it preserved the dignity of the child involved and possibly the parent(s). And I'd say the same thing if they were my letters.

Letters are outward symbols of teachings and values that are supposed to make us better people.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Any time there was a potential violation of the clothing policy at any of the schools where I taught, I referred the potential violation to admin, figuring it was above my pay grade. This school doesn’t seem to have a uniform requirement, so there probably wasn’t a clothing violation committed. Teacher doesn’t have a leg to stand on.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Any time there was a potential violation of the clothing policy at any of the schools where I taught, I referred the potential violation to admin, figuring it was above my pay grade. This school doesn’t seem to have a uniform requirement, so there probably wasn’t a clothing violation committed. Teacher doesn’t have a leg to stand on.
Yes, there was a clothing requirements issue. From the article, a quote from the school system: " While the shirt was not in accordance with the school’s dress code due to having writing"...

But as part of that the *teacher* shouldn't have handled that, she should have been sent to the office.

Now the bizarre question is if the shirt had been for Delta Sigma Theta or Omega Psi Phi, would they have considered the letters to be writing given that they were entirely made of Greek Letters that don't look like letters in the Latin Alphabet.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
And over a damn sorority shirt! I wouldn’t give a damn if it was a Nupe. Nobody is taking anything off my kid without calling and asking me first, or some furniture WILL get moved in that camp. Period.