GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,911
0 members and 1,911 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I'm waiting for the Sweeney Todd revival.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE musicals. Used to do local theatre when I was in junior high and high school.

I've seen:
Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
The Life
Gypsy
Cabaret
Bye, Bye, Birdie
Phantom
Hello, Dolly! (with Carol Channing, no less!!)
Poor Little MatchGirl
How to Eat Like a Child
The Music Man
Oklahoma!

going to see the Lion King when it comes here in the fall---looking forward to that!

I love musicals!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
I'm waiting for the Sweeney Todd revival.
I'll be on the real Fleet Street in London next month, but I'm not planning on a hair cut.

Other than that, I want to see "Brooklyn: The Musical." It had it's "trial balloon -- shakedown" here in Denver and the music and voices are spectacular.

I want to see it on NY to see what changes have been made.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got back from NYC and saw the following:

Avenue Q

Wicked

My husband also saw:

Spamalot

Good Vibrations

He's a high school drama teacher and we took 38 kids to NYC for a theatre trip...how insane was that?? LOL

For those of you able to get to NYC or Las Vegas by the end of the year, go see Avenue Q!! It's hysterical!! You'll never look at muppets the same way again!! Wicked was also wonderful...it's coming out to California in June 2005...another "don't miss!"

I also love RENT, Phantom, Chicago and many of the classics..

We're going to London in the Summer and already have tickets for "Mary Poppins." Can't wait!!
Old 04-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I'll be on the real Fleet Street in London next month, but I'm not planning on a hair cut.

Other than that, I want to see "Brooklyn: The Musical." It had it's "trial balloon -- shakedown" here in Denver and the music and voices are spectacular.

I want to see it on NY to see what changes have been made.
The reviews are bad for Brooklyn. I herd snips of the soundtrack and wasn't impressed. But it's not as bad as Carrie (yes, I had the misfortune of actually watching that montrosity).

I am, however, suprise how good The Woman in White sounded. Rumor has it that the Broadway opening will not have Michael Crawford. Instead, Michael Ball will take the lead (who is a better actor and singer anyway).
Old 04-08-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
The reviews are bad for Brooklyn. I herd snips of the soundtrack and wasn't impressed.
Yeah, I know -- which is disapointing. I have the CD, and I think they really dulled down the music which I don't understand.

However, listen to Once Upon A Time:

http://www.brooklynthemusical.com/themusic.htm#

You can stream it from the link above.

Eden Espinosa, who I think is one of two left from the Denver cast is amazing. Man, can she belt!

I saw Idina Menzel in Wicked in NYC, (Espinosa was her understudy (and heir apparant to the Elphiba part) and played the part on Broadway for a while before going back to Brooklyn (how could anyone do that?), and I really think Espinosa has the stronger voice -- which I can hardly believe I said.

So, I'd still like to see it.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 04-08-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JupiterTC
Four years ago I saw Phantom on Broadway. I've been involved with a few musicals myself, but with the pit orchestra, so our job was easy compared to what the actors were doing. There's no way that I would ever sing, dance, and act. That takes talent.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I saw Idina Menzel in Wicked in NYC, (Espinosa was her understudy (and heir apparant to the Elphiba part) and played the part on Broadway for a while before going back to Brooklyn (how could anyone do that?), and I really think Espinosa has the stronger voice -- which I can hardly believe I said.
I agree with you totally. I personally think Menzel is overrated. I've seen her during her stint at Rent and thought she was an average voice for Broadway. I'm impressed with Espinosa's voice though.

Another voice that I'm loving right now is Maria Friedman. She is just brilliant in The Woman in White. I do believe that that musical is ALW's best since Evita.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I, too, am I huge musical theater geek.

I've been in:

The Music Man
The Wizard of Oz
Fame
Oklahoma
Crazy for You
Anything Goes

I've Seen:

Cats
Aida
42nd Street
Phantom of the Opera
The Lion King
You're a Good Man Charlie Brown
Rent
West Side Story
Oklahoma
Once Upon a Mattress
Lil Abner
The Sound of Music
WICKED!

Wicked is by far my favorite of the show's that I've seen. I agree that I wasn't completely blown away by Idina Menzel, BUT I think that Kristin Chenowith is the CUTEST thing EVER! And she is SO talented. I was really impressed with her.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Another voice that I'm loving right now is Maria Friedman. She is just brilliant in The Woman in White. I do believe that that musical is ALW's best since Evita.
Just booked tickets for Woman In White next month in London.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

all broadway all good.
there's a channel of broadway musicals on my digital cable. it's wonderful. sometimes the best on television.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wicked is by far my favorite of the show's that I've seen. I agree that I wasn't completely blown away by Idina Menzel, BUT I think that Kristin Chenowith is the CUTEST thing EVER! And she is SO talented. I was really impressed with her.
My sister and I are going to see Wicked in July. I was a little upset that we were never able to see it with Idina and Kristin, but I'd rather see it without them than not see it at all. I read the book almost three years ago and absolutely fell in love! Then I found the soundtrack to the musical and fell in love all over again!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just booked tickets for Woman In White next month in London.
A friend who have seen it, and he's not a big ALW fan, actually liked the show. He said it was a dark musical and Michael Ball is amazing. I know he's on his way out because of prior commitment.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I know he's on his way out because of prior commitment.
Yeah, according to something I read (Playbill online maybe) Michael Crawford is supposed to return May 2.

That's OK, haven't seen him live since Phantom.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, according to something I read (Playbill online maybe) Michael Crawford is supposed to return May 2.

That's OK, haven't seen him live since Phantom.
Latest rumor is that Crawford and Friedman (the leading lady) can not get along. ALW is also getting pissed off about Crawford's Prima donna attitude. It also doesn't help Crawford that Friedman's sister is one of the producer. I've always like Michael Ball as Phantom better than Crawford anyway.