GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,267
0 members and 1,267 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2002, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

rush stuff

i wanna rush this semester but i am really busy with school and everything...and plus my parents dont' really want me too...any advice...like as far as how much time it would take or anything like that..thanks...oh yeah and it was cool to read all of the other people's rushing threads to get information...
Old 09-24-2002, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Don't feel like you're alone- anyone who's Greek will tell you that it's tough making time for everything at once! If you decide to go through recruitment (and you should, even if it's just for the experience), be sure to ask questions about time commitment, how important academics are, and how to manage your life outside chapter life. Sincere Greeks will always tell you that academics come first (which is why I'm missing my lil sis so much right now... she's taking a quarter off for school)- academics are the reason you're in school! And if you're working or anything, there's always a way to make time for it! I can't imagine what I would be like, or what most of my sisters would be like, if we weren't carrying a full class load, working 20-30 hours a week, getting involved in other organizations, AND being involved in the sorority!

Just ask questions, get to know people, and figure out how you can budget your own time! You only have 4 years of college (well, usually) and by the time you're about to graduate (which I'm nearing... ) you'll be able to look back and see all those wonderful things you did... if you go Greek, you'll have it for the rest of your life...
Old 09-24-2002, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks

thanks for the advice...probably the main reason is my parents though..for some reason they were willing to let me do it last year but this year they are like no....and i don't want to do it behind there backs but it is something i really wanna do..
Old 09-24-2002, 07:27 AM

I certainly understand wanting to honor your parents' wishes. I'll go out on a limb and ask, though: are you paying your college and living expenses or are your parents paying for it? If your parents are footing the bills, it would be very difficult to join a sorority without their physical, emotional and financial support. If they are paying for your school, would you be able to afford all of your sorority expenses? Would living in a sorority house be comparable to (or in some cases LESS!) than living on or off campus? Do your parents have academic concerns? If so, there's usually plenty of information to show that GLOs are consistently at or above the all-campus GPA averages. Most sororities offer scholarships to undergraduate and graduate members as well, so let them know about that!

As for time commitment, that will depend on the sorority. There will be those things such as meetings, ritual occasions, recruitment events, philanthropic and intramural events and such that everyone will be required to be at. You'll get a calendar of events so you'll know in advance of what's going on and what you absolutely have to go to. But there will be lots of other stuff to do so time managment is really important. The sororities will be used to that, and many groups actually have education sessions about time managment to help its members make the most of their time!

Ask your parents why they are hesitant, so you can help them to understand why it's so important to you. Parents respect it when their child can present facts to them. Get them the website of your school's greek life or Panhellenic Council so they can learn more about what the sororities are about. Good luck and if you have questions ask! We don't always have the answer but if someone does, they will!

Christin
Old 09-24-2002, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks again

i have been asking my friends for advice about this and they have been saying around the same things.... it's good to know that people care...thanks for the advice