GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,484
1 members and 1,483 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I refuse to believe that the majority of people don't know who Katy Perry is. What the problem is-is that people see a black girl in a blue wig and their minds scan their limited racial categories instead of recognizing the larger picture of what they are seeing. Don't tell me when I am wearing head-to-foot candy print and have a blue wig and heart on my head that I'm Nicki Minaj. My skin tone has as much in common with Nicki as it does with Katy. Go *#($ yourself.
When I think Katy, I don't think blue hair because I've seen her in pink, purple and blue wigs, but mainly see her with her normal black/very dark brown hair. I think it is really hard to dress up as a singer/person unless they have a really signature item (like Michael Jackson's glove) that everybody knows.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I refuse to believe that the majority of people don't know who Katy Perry is. What the problem is-is that people see a black girl in a blue wig and their minds scan their limited racial categories instead of recognizing the larger picture of what they are seeing. Don't tell me when I am wearing head-to-foot candy print and have a blue wig and heart on my head that I'm Nicki Minaj. My skin tone has as much in common with Nicki as it does with Katy. Go *#($ yourself.
This is totally tongue in cheek, but maybe you should have gone for the whiteface.

In all seriousness, people can be really narrow minded and dense. I'm sorry that what should have been a fun and lighthearted costume hasn't turned out so great.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
When I think Katy, I don't think blue hair because I've seen her in pink, purple and blue wigs, but mainly see her with her normal black/very dark brown hair. I think it is really hard to dress up as a singer/person unless they have a really signature item (like Michael Jackson's glove) that everybody knows.
She has blue hair very frequently actually and dyes her own hair blue frequently, although she dyes is purple too sometimes. My baby sisters and I are huge fans. I went with the blue wig with the heart because it Nicki Minaj usually has her hair pink and I thought the lavender wig was pushing it.

If you saw a picture I think you'd get it very clearly. Even my shoes had candyprint all over them. It didn't look anything like Nicki Minaj. At all. I wasn't wearing some awkward body suit or anything. I would have taken "Candyland" over Nicki Minaj...

*ETA I bought the OFFICIAL Katy Perry wig that SHE put her name on.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 10-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
This is totally tongue in cheek, but maybe you should have gone for the whiteface.

In all seriousness, people can be really narrow minded and dense. I'm sorry that what should have been a fun and lighthearted costume hasn't turned out so great.

Thanks for the laugh. It was much appreciated. I guess people really think no one will get it unless they paint up! I usually don't do it and I don't have a problem. I've been Britney Spears without a blonde wig and people still got it!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I'm sorry your costume wasn't received the way it should be. I second what Dee said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I think it is really hard to dress up as a singer/person unless they have a really signature item (like Michael Jackson's glove) that everybody knows.
Ditto. I was Hermione Granger last year and everyone got it because of the Gryffindor tie. Without it, I probably would have been "Black girl in a school-girl skirt." Though, if this were 1997, they might have guessed "Britney Spears." Well, come to think of it Hermione is usually in robes or Muggle clothing. My skirt and shirt was modeled more after an outfit I saw Janet Jackson wearing than Hermione anyway so...

Okay, maybe the situations are totally different. Ignore me.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
First time we went away for the weekend since we got the cat. She is hardcore ignoring us now lol
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
FWIW, I wouldn't associate Katy Perry with blue hair or candy prints. I wouldn't recognize Katy Perry if I saw her. I would hazard a guess that there are lots like me in an . . . older demographic range . . . who wouldn't have a clue. (And who wouldn't have a clue who Nicki Minaj is either.)

Of course, we may not be your target audience.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She has blue hair very frequently actually and dyes her own hair blue frequently, although she dyes is purple too sometimes. My baby sisters and I are huge fans. I went with the blue wig with the heart because it Nicki Minaj usually has her hair pink and I thought the lavender wig was pushing it.

If you saw a picture I think you'd get it very clearly. Even my shoes had candyprint all over them. It didn't look anything like Nicki Minaj. At all. I wasn't wearing some awkward body suit or anything. I would have taken "Candyland" over Nicki Minaj...

*ETA I bought the OFFICIAL Katy Perry wig that SHE put her name on.
Well at least no one thought you were dressed as Lil Kim
#itcanalwaysbeworse
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

That does it. I am ignoring the Cowboys for the rest of the season. They're no good for my blood pressure or the baby's. :-p

And I can't even drink afterwards.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I was Katherine of Aragon one year.

No one recognized me.

But I ended up married to a man who did his M. Div thesis on "Sacrilege in the Tudor Church", so there you go.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Well at least no one thought you were dressed as Lil Kim
#itcanalwaysbeworse
Trrrruuuueeee.

Ironically enough, when I searched "Lil Kim blue wig," pix of Katy Perry AND Nicki Minaj showed up in my search results. :shrug:

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been decided my company will open two locations in the DC metro area tomorrow.

Guess whose location is one of the two?

We will be running the restaurant with only salaried managers, AKA my boss will be picking us all up in the morning and driving us into DC where there are virtually no offices running and will be no people since metro is down. Yay.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I will never regret taking a break from work to watch Once Upon a Time. This show has yet to disappoint me, and that makes me happy

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Just got back from the Tigers game not too long ago. I mean, it didn't matter to me which team won, but for the most part, I thought it was an exciting game all the way to the end. Oh, and downtown was a madhouse.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 AM

Lions game then a tigers game.. awesome