GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,338
3 members and 1,335 guests
aolgaushuzea327, Bioxtrim, Cookiez17

Old 09-26-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

greek going to graduate school question

Hi, I had a question I was hoping could be answered. I'm a recent alumni and founding father of a fraternity chapter and graduated in 2010 after only a year as a FF.

I am going to graduate school and the school I want to attend has a chapter as well. Is it possible to be involved in the chapter there with more of a brotherly rather than alumni role. Also my small greek system doesnt have greek housing, so I don't know much about it, but is there a possibility of living in this chapters house, as it is something I've really wanted to experience.

Lastly, although I graduted I only had one year as a brother. Does that matter or are all undergraduate graduates alumni no matter the time in the fraternity.

Thanks for all your help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You need to check with your fraternity to see if this is a viable option. In my organization graduate students may be active members of a chapter, but this is not so for all organizations. Check your constitution/by-laws/regulations.

Your time in the fraternity is irrelevant to your ability to become an active alumnus. For example the Executive Director of my Fraternity was an active member of his chapter for only a semester before it was closed, and that obviously hasn't hindered his extraordinary alumni involvement.

Now why someone would want to be an active member in grad school is beyond me, but you do you.

(And next time, no need to make two threads!)
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry about the double thread, didnt see the alumni involvement section until now

Thanks for the response, I will reach out to my national fraternity staff and the chapter to which I may be heading.

If I can do the same things as an alumni that I did as an active member I will be happy to assist the new chapter in any way as an alumni. I just want to have the same brotherhood support I has at my undergrad institution.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoff10 View Post
If I can do the same things as an alumni that I did as an active member I will be happy to assist the new chapter in any way as an alumni. I just want to have the same brotherhood support I has at my undergrad institution.
If you're going to an appreciably larger school, with an appreciably larger Greek system and chapters, this may not be the case even if you were still an undergrad.

I'm not saying you won't find any bonds with a new chapter, but realize it's going to be a LOT different.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm not saying you won't find any bonds with a new chapter, but realize it's going to be a LOT different.
As will his focus as a grad student. Unless I'm way off, I doubt he'll have time to do the same things with a chapter as grad student as he did as an undergrad.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

This is very common for the NPHC. It is often frowned upon if someone comes to a school as a grad student, faculty, or staff and does not reach out to the chapter at that school.

As a graduate student, I was involved with the chapter at the new school (as well as my chapter of initiation and alumnae chapter involvement) within the capacity that nonchapter Sorors could fill. I was among a group of Soror graduate students who did not participate at the level of collegiate Sorors but at the level of alumnae Sorors who are on the chapter's campus.

You should've already known to contact your organization and see what the policies and protocol are.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
As will his focus as a grad student. Unless I'm way off, I doubt he'll have time to do the same things with a chapter as grad student as he did as an undergrad.
I realize grad school is much harder than undergrad and requires much more time and ommittment. I just want to continue with the experience and brotherhood I had with my fraternity brothers and contribute to the new chapter, in whatever capacity possible.

The grad school I am looking at is MUCH larger and is an SEC school. Our greek system, and way of life, for that matter is much different as a small school. But it is something I'd like to experience and be a part of. I will be in contact with nationals.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoff10 View Post
I will be in contact with nationals.
Yes. Please don't ask and explain to nonmembers ever again.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

My big brother was an associate member (in lieu of 'pledging') at another school as an undergrad, and ended up having to leave the fraternity. He went to graduate school later at my school, just happened to meet some brothers, and to his surprise was invited to recruitment. He ended up being initiated, serving as both secretary and vice-president during his active years, having two different little brothers, and holding a part-time job. All of this was while he was a graduate student.

If you still have a strong passion for your fraternity when you leave undergrad, I think that it can be done. There is absolutely no way the Greek system could survive without the daily support of alumni. Also, I wouldn't get too caught up in the cultural 'differences' at other schools. At the end of the day, you're a brother, and you're entitled to all of the privileges of that bond.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitheta376 View Post
My big brother was an associate member (in lieu of 'pledging') at another school as an undergrad, and ended up having to leave the fraternity. He went to graduate school later at my school, just happened to meet some brothers, and to his surprise was invited to recruitment. He ended up being initiated, serving as both secretary and vice-president during his active years, having two different little brothers, and holding a part-time job. All of this was while he was a graduate student.

If you still have a strong passion for your fraternity when you leave undergrad, I think that it can be done. There is absolutely no way the Greek system could survive without the daily support of alumni. Also, I wouldn't get too caught up in the cultural 'differences' at other schools. At the end of the day, you're a brother, and you're entitled to all of the privileges of that bond.
@ the bold - you have no idea what the rules and regulations are for every organization, so you need to be careful telling people what they're entitled to. For all we know, alums may NOT be entitled to all the privileges as undergrads. The original question was answered properly last year -- check with your fraternity.