GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,451
4 members and 1,447 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I was having this discussion with a few of my actives last night. And MY personal biggest issue with the IU sorority system is the fact that fraternities are the ones that seem to determine the "tiers". Certain fraternities will refuse to "pair" with some of the sororities. And if the sorority ticks off the fraternity in some way, they will threaten to stop "pairing" with them. It is ridiculous.
The women were shocked when I told them how at my school, greek week pairs were a random draw- so you had to pair with whomever you were assigned or you didn't participate. I believe that is how my alma mater does homecoming pairs now as well.
Spot on comment with the fraternities having the power to make or break the sororities. I like the idea of a random draw. I think many of the sororities and fraternities would be surprised by each other. IU sororities need to take that power back. That's a big reason less secure women drop.

I do understand IU using RFM for invitations (my post was unclear) - but I would like to see quota total as (almost?) every other Greek life community uses. IU Panhel has done "just enough" to end the majority of the criticism they were facing even just 2 years ago, but I hope they keep moving forward with recruitment and community.

Last edited by tlynn; 01-09-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
You have raised a confident, but ndependent, powerful woman TLynn. You must be so proud of her. Hopefully IU will continue to move forward and soon will use RFM.
Thank you FSUZeta. I am very proud of the young woman she has become
Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynn View Post
Spot on comment with the fraternities having the power to make or break the sororities. I like the idea of a random draw. I think many of the sororities and fraternities would be surprised by each other. IU sororities need to take that power back. That's a big reason less secure women drop.

I do understand IU using RFM for invitations (my post was unclear) - but I would like to see quota total as (almost?) every other Greek life community uses. IU Panhel has done "just enough" to end the majority of the criticism they were facing even just 2 years ago, but I hope they keep moving forward with recruitment and community.
Sounds more like the good ole boys club to me I thought Indiana University had a lot more vision. Apparently in this area, I have been clueless
Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This 5 days off between Recruitment weekends may push me right over the edge! I clearly need more to do in my life, and DD goes from freaking out, to ignoring the whole thing. Ugh. Is it Friday yet?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomma View Post
This 5 days off between Recruitment weekends may push me right over the edge! I clearly need more to do in my life, and DD goes from freaking out, to ignoring the whole thing. Ugh. Is it Friday yet?
Wine. It is the answer to everything. A little calms you down, a lot makes you forget everything. :-)
Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I was having this discussion with a few of my actives last night. And MY personal biggest issue with the IU sorority system is the fact that fraternities are the ones that seem to determine the "tiers". Certain fraternities will refuse to "pair" with some of the sororities. And if the sorority ticks off the fraternity in some way, they will threaten to stop "pairing" with them. It is ridiculous.
The women were shocked when I told them how at my school, greek week pairs were a random draw- so you had to pair with whomever you were assigned or you didn't participate. I believe that is how my alma mater does homecoming pairs now as well.
At my university, Student Life had (and still has) a set rotation for pairings for homecoming and other similar activities. You pair with whom you are assigned, and it's different each year for every activity. Better yet, they include all the student housing units, so a dorm or the apartment village will also be grouped with a fraternity and sorority. It really helps foster community spirit and inclusion and helps get rid of some of the stupid "rankings."
Old 01-11-2017, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like I picked a bad couple of weeks to quit drinking wine
Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomma View Post
Looks like I picked a bad couple of weeks to quit drinking wine
Yeah - New Year's Resolutions need to wait when you have PNM going thru.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yeah - New Year's Resolutions need to wait when you have PNM going thru.
^Exactly.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to everyone involved as the second weekend starts in a little under 30 minutes!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes! DD was upset her two favorites did not ask her back. I told her to focus on the ones who did, keep an open mind. Be HAPPY Be POSITIVE!! They saw something in you and want to get to know you better. It only takes one.............

Some girls on her floor have decided to DROP because none of the ones they liked are listed. I'm heart broken- to know come preference many girls could be dropped from Recruitment and end up bid less. My DD included!

I just don't get the exclusivity. Sorry, just had to say what was on my mind. I do hope in the coming years IU can make,going through this process not so brutal. Everyone deserves a home.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUpnmmom View Post
Yes! DD was upset her two favorites did not ask her back. I told her to focus on the ones who did, keep an open mind. Be HAPPY Be POSITIVE!! They saw something in you and want to get to know you better. It only takes one.............
Good advice. :-) Hope she has a great time tonight and tomorrow!!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Good advice. :-) Hope she has a great time tonight and tomorrow!!

So do I! Thanks, for the positive notes.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Some girls on her floor have decided to DROP because none of the ones they liked are listed. I'm heart broken- to know come preference many girls could be dropped from Recruitment and end up bid less. My DD included!

I just don't get the exclusivity. Sorry, just had to say what was on my mind. I do hope in the coming years IU can make,going through this process not so brutal. Everyone deserves a home.
While I do not necessarily think "everyone" deserves to be in a sorority, it continues to boggle my mind that IU PHA sees the placement rates and refuses to make the switch to a standard recruitment using a typically set quota.

I have said this before, but on some level, I think those with the power to change this, choose not to because they enjoy the perceived prestige that comes with like 60%-70% of women receiving bids (typically placement rates are in the high 90s.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are a wise mom. I hope she takes your advice.

Quote:
Some girls on her floor have decided to DROP because none of the ones they liked are listed.
This is unfortunate. I think every girl who is lucky enough to get a bid should take it and run. Sororities offer so many lifetime benefits to their members and most sorority experiences on the same campus are so much more similar than freshmen realize.

Quote:
I'm heart broken- to know come preference many girls could be dropped from Recruitment and end up bid less. My DD included!
This is not worth focusing on right now. It's only going to stress you out to think about this.

Quote:
I went to the only school in the country where everyone gets a home at the end of recruitment if they follow the rules, and it's not all it's cracked up to be--it's a system where a houses are forced to take some girls they absolutely do not want.

I think all schools should use the standard system, but I don't see that changing at IU (based on what I have read and what some IU alumnae who are my sorority sisters told me) or at my alma mater.