GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,661
1 members and 1,660 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there transportation between houses that are far away from each other? (IU Buses) My daughter was late to a party and now looking at a map she has another long walk to get to another party tonight and then back to the next party. Just curious...
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJG View Post
Is there transportation between houses that are far away from each other? (IU Buses) My daughter was late to a party and now looking at a map she has another long walk to get to another party tonight and then back to the next party. Just curious...
I don't know and don't know if anyone who does will see this but her Recruitment Counselor should be able to handle this question.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Assuming this year is like last year, then YES. They have a bus that circles constantly between all the houses.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

They do have busses, but when my DD tried to get one today to go WAY across campus, they were all full. Such a disappointment! She had to walk the whole way and was late. She did text her rho gam though and she was able to let the chapter know DD would be late.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Great to hear another IU mom (SJG). DD said, many cuts and some girls have dropped already. Even a few have gone home. She is happy with her list. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My DD said the same. She got back a full list of 16 and was thankful! She lost a couple that she felt were good, but nothing that was in her top 5, so she's good.

Almost done with the day! And it was a LONG ONE!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

girls drop every year. it is so sad. they would probably get bids if they would just give houses a chance. but they go in wanting only certain houses, and then they drop out if they don't get them back. the sororities get a bad rap for low overall placement rates, but some of it has to be on the PNMs that drop so early in the process.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
girls drop every year. it is so sad. they would probably get bids if they would just give houses a chance. but they go in wanting only certain houses, and then they drop out if they don't get them back. the sororities get a bad rap for low overall placement rates, but some of it has to be on the PNMs that drop so early in the process.
I echo this sentiment 100%. As someone who had friends in so many other chapters, I know I could have easily been happy in the majority of the chapters in addition to my own. PNMs get their heart set on a chapter for really silly reasons (I like their colors, my orientation guide was an XYZ, my best friend is an ABC at another school, etc.) and don't give the rest of the groups a chance. I honestly believe that most of the PNMs at IU would make friends and find a home in about every one of the chapters at IU. Each chapter there has something good to offer.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Another POV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Forever, I think your point is valid, and there are definitely women out there who think that way, but as an IU parent of a member of an lower tiered chapter, I think some of the blame needs to go to the Greek Life community. My daughter has made some really good friends in her sorority - her 3 besties especially, and her sorority has some really socially active, smart, creative, beautiful girls, but the Greek community does promote the idea that they are one of the "red headed step children" of the system. I hope women stick with it and join wherever they end up, because there are many good experiences to be had, but I do get why they drop. Some PNMs are able to ignore this and not let it bother them, but others maybe are not so confident and for a multitude of reasons they can't handle the disrespect or aren't prepared to be the target of it. We have to remember that we are adults with years of experience and they are 18 year olds trying to figure out who they are. And IU doesn't help themselves by still setting an artificial quota of 55 (better than when my daughter went through and some chapters took <40 but I wish they'd use RFM throughout and set a true quota, which would probably be 70-80) As an greek alum of a different university who has helped with many recruitments over the years and with a greek daughter at a different large university, I can say I have major reservations about IU's Greek Life. Still lots of good things, but much more based on social tiers and status than most universities I have worked with and that disappoints me. I encourage SL&L/Panhel/IFC to continue to work on creating a more cooperative, supportive community.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

You have raised a confident, but ndependent, powerful woman TLynn. You must be so proud of her. Hopefully IU will continue to move forward and soon will use RFM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

IU does use RFM, it just does not use quota total to determine chapter quota.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Talked to DD she is exhausted! Have to wait and see for Friday, by then she will have caught up on her sleep.( hopefully)
Good Luck to ALL the PNM!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
IU does use RFM, it just does not use quota total to determine chapter quota.
Can you explain, RFM if all houses are taking a minimum of 55 girls.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

RFM is more than just the number of New Members. It drives the percentages that you can invite to every round, based on your history, in order to make quota- whatever number than may be.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynn View Post
Forever, I think your point is valid, and there are definitely women out there who think that way, but as an IU parent of a member of an lower tiered chapter, I think some of the blame needs to go to the Greek Life community. My daughter has made some really good friends in her sorority - her 3 besties especially, and her sorority has some really socially active, smart, creative, beautiful girls, but the Greek community does promote the idea that they are one of the "red headed step children" of the system. I hope women stick with it and join wherever they end up, because there are many good experiences to be had, but I do get why they drop. Some PNMs are able to ignore this and not let it bother them, but others maybe are not so confident and for a multitude of reasons they can't handle the disrespect or aren't prepared to be the target of it. We have to remember that we are adults with years of experience and they are 18 year olds trying to figure out who they are. And IU doesn't help themselves by still setting an artificial quota of 55 (better than when my daughter went through and some chapters took <40 but I wish they'd use RFM throughout and set a true quota, which would probably be 70-80) As an greek alum of a different university who has helped with many recruitments over the years and with a greek daughter at a different large university, I can say I have major reservations about IU's Greek Life. Still lots of good things, but much more based on social tiers and status than most universities I have worked with and that disappoints me. I encourage SL&L/Panhel/IFC to continue to work on creating a more cooperative, supportive community.
I was having this discussion with a few of my actives last night. And MY personal biggest issue with the IU sorority system is the fact that fraternities are the ones that seem to determine the "tiers". Certain fraternities will refuse to "pair" with some of the sororities. And if the sorority ticks off the fraternity in some way, they will threaten to stop "pairing" with them. It is ridiculous.
The women were shocked when I told them how at my school, greek week pairs were a random draw- so you had to pair with whomever you were assigned or you didn't participate. I believe that is how my alma mater does homecoming pairs now as well.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God