GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,729
0 members and 1,729 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana University 2014 Recruitment

Over 1700 women have registered for recruitment at Indiana this winter according to t-witter posts. Recruitment registration closes this evening. This is the first year in which all of recruitment will occur after winter break. Good luck to all the women going through!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

My hunch is that a majority of these women are not familiar with IU's bed rush and how, with the fewer openings (than preference based quotas), keeping an open mind is essential. How many registered last year and how many stayed in after the December parties?

Last edited by pinksequins; 11-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of the 1700 have an idea how bed quota works. I have been told it is discussed at the Greek Opportunities for Women info session which almost 1200 women attended. Also, it's pretty well known on campus. It's not like it's the white elephant in the room that no one mentions.

IU's recruitment usually starts out around 1700. The last few years less than 100 women chose to not come back after break. This year, women will not be able to attend open house round without meting the grade requirement which is one positive of the move from having open houses during first semester.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. Good to know. Good luck to all PNMs on exams and in recruitment.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think IU, more than any other school, the girls need to think strategically as they make their lists between rounds. Think before you list! You will have a pretty good idea about what common perceptions are about the ranking of each sorority against each other, but what about the ones you liked (didn't think were so bad) that the other girls AREN'T talking about, or maybe are even talking badly about? You have a better shot at those chapters, plain and simple. The top 3 most competitive chapters at IU will take combined in the range of 130 girls. Maybe even fewer. The 3 least competitive chapters will probably take 225 or even more. If you felt just fine with one of those bottom 3 it really behooves you to keep them in the top portion of your list.

Now, understand that you likely WILL be cut from some chapters after round one and your rankings won't mean as much, but if you should happen to have an awesome round one and your bottom list actually comes into play, you don't want to have cut a chapter that you wish you'd kept come bid day. And I would use this strategy throughout the process. There ARE chapters who participate in quota additions so it is in your interest to keep one or two of them in the mix through the whole process.

I'm not suggesting you keep a chapter that you hate, but really, how valid is your opinion after a few minutes of a single party? I'm just saying, you will undoubtedly have a feel for most and least competitive chapters and do yourself a favor by keeping a mix on your list. And NOW is the time to think about how you feel about a houseless chapter. Would it be so bad? Maybe, maybe not. But don't get to bid day and then have an epiphany one way or the other. It will be too late. And IU is not a school known for second chances at rush.

And one final note, there is another colony coming on in the spring, right?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Delta Phi Epsilon is coming on in the spring as a colony. This is a little lower than some recent years (generally ~1800 girls go through), but that doesn't mean much at IU.

In terms of the rest of your advice...the top 3 most competitive chapters generally take ~100-110 members (those of you who are familiar with IU know which 3 I'm talking about) solely based on the size of their physical houses.

If you are going through recruitment at Indiana, you need to be happy with getting a bid to ANY house. Your collegiate experience will likely be similar no matter what chapter you're a part of, but when it comes down to it...you'll have to decide: would you rather have a set of letters and a sisterhood or nothing at all? As awful as it is, many girls will choose the latter.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
If you are going through recruitment at Indiana, you need to be happy with getting a bid to ANY house.
While you are completely right, what I was getting at was what happens as the week progresses. I'm going to use 10 houses for my example because it's easier. Round 1, you rank the houses in order from 1 to 10 (and in this scenario, 1 is the most sought after chapter and 10 is the least). You have a great round 1 and you get invited back to 1-7 and 8, 9 and 10 are now off your list. After round 2 you rank them 1-7 and you have a not so great round and you get invited back to 4, 5, 6 and 7. You're still ok with these chapters, and you still have a full party schedule. After round three you rank them 4, 5, 6 and 7 and you get invited back to only 7. Now, how did you feel about chapters 8 9 and 10? Maybe they weren't so bad. Maybe about right now you're really wishing you had a full party schedule. And maybe deep down you knew you weren't a good fit for 1, 2 and 3, no matter how much you might like that to be true. I'm saying, if you were a bit more realistic you'd have ranked 1 (a girl can dream), 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. Then, minus any other changes and 8 and 9 continued to like you, you WOULD have a full schedule and a much better chance at a match on bid day.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

With RFM, these "top" houses do have to make huge cuts after the first round. Grades do play a part in those cuts but it does go deeper than that pretty early. I, agree, strategic ranking is more important at Indiana than at any other school because of bed quota.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Registration closed last night with 1898 women registered, which is a new record for Indiana.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Registration closed last night with 1898 women registered, which is a new record for Indiana.

This is still crazy to me. I can't conceptualize a chapter with over say 110 women total. I'd be too worried about learning everyone's name, and recognizing sisters when they aren't in letters. Heck, I have a hard time learning names of all collegiate members of the chapters I advise at (let's be real. I don't know ALL their names, but I'm probably up to about 55/ 70)

Good Luck to everyone involved

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-28-2013, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We actually have exactly 1900 women signed up... a few were sneaky and had the page open as the registration page was being shut down.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that some of them are automatically going to be cut for grades without even undergoing 21 party because the first round of recruitment does not begin until January. I am not sure whether or not paying $70 upfront with the knowledge that you may not even ever get your recruitment t-shirt or the 21 party experience is going to motivate girls to get better grades... I guess we will see.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

1900? Good luck to everyone on both sides of the process!!!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-30-2013, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, 1900 PNMs. Crazy. Is there still talk about adding another chapter after D Phi E? Also what is the latest update on new housing?
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd say the problem will be less with the 1900 girls and more with the grueling schedule for the actives. Can't say I'd have wanted to be on the recruiting end anymore.

The talk is still to have all 26 GLOs by 2020 (I think...IndianaSigKap, correct me if the date is wrong). Tri-Sig was set to colonize instead of DPhiE, but backed out. In terms of housing, I don't think anything is in the cards, but the land is available if the funds are there. FIJI will be moving into a new house near Theta since the university bought theirs. IMHO, you're not going to see any of these chapters getting housing until they are well established. No national organization is going to be willing to toss out over a million dollars to construct a house if there's a chance the org isn't going to make it.

(The remaining chapters not on IU's campus are Tri Sigma, Sigma Kappa, Phi Sigma Sigma, and Alpha Sigma Alpha, in case anyone forgot)
Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought Alpha Sigma Alpha colonized last year?
Closed Thread