GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,816
1 members and 2,815 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I think NALFO should be made up of peer organizations regardless of racial focus.
Elaborate for me please…
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The mission of the NPHC in 1930 was:

"Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.”

It doesn't say anything about being black. This is why I have said in the past that I predict the next NPHC member will be a multicultural sorority.

ETA: I think it is in the best interest of NALFO to be broad enough to include whatever organizations it wants, while traditionally having the capacity to be of use to LGLOs the most.

Last edited by Senusret I; 04-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
So we never got to the point of this thread...should an organization that no longer promotes themselves as latino or latina be allowed to stay in NALFO.

Also, what about the orgs that left? I doubt they will be allowed into NMGC so is a new council the best fit for organizations who were founded as Latino or Latina but now consider themselves multiculturals?
Just some thoughts people...

P.S. this is stupid but what would you call the council? slow work day...
I think the fraternities that left have been (and will be) fine, as a couple can (and did) seek membership in NIC. I'm interested in seeing what happens to the sororities, though.

Quote:

"Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.”

It doesn't say anything about being black. This is why I have said in the past that I predict the next NPHC member will be a multicultural sorority.

ETA: I think it is in the best interest of NALFO to be broad enough to include whatever organizations it wants, while traditionally having the capacity to be of use to LGLOs the most.
Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

what would you consider a peer organization?
pet peeve "cultural" forcus latinos are not a race. but I know what you meant

So why even form a coucil wouldn't most LGLO's and MGLO's have "mutual interest" with NPHC?

Does NPHC have requirments?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I think the fraternities that left have been (and will be) fine, as a couple can (and did) seek membership in NIC. I'm interested in seeing what happens to the sororities, though.

Yeah I agree the fraternities that left for the most part are members in NIC. there only choice would be what? NPC why not just join that like the frats joined NIC?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You're welcome.

Quote:
what would you consider a peer organization?
pet peeve "cultural" forcus latinos are not a race. but I know what you meant

So why even form a coucil wouldn't most LGLO's and MGLO's have "mutual interest" with NPHC?

Does NPHC have requirments?
It doesn't matter to me what organizations NALFO consider to be its peers, but what NALFO orgs consider to be its peers.

The NPHC requirements are:

a. Be devoted to general fraternity or sorority ideals and be in conformity with the NPHC Constitution and Bylaws and the NPHC Mission Statement.

b. Have been in existence for at least fifteen (15) years and shall have been incorporated in the United States of America.

c. Be national in scope and consist of a total of no less than one hundred (100) undergraduate and alumni chapters, which have a current financial membership of at least five (5) persons. Of the aforesaid 100 undergraduate and alumni chapters, a total of no less than fifty (50) must have been a part of the fraternity or sorority for at least ten (10) years.

d. Have constitutional provisions for a national convention, with interim authority vested in trustees, a board of directors or the officers who supervise the affairs of the fraternity or sorority.

e. Have undergraduate chapters recognized by and be in good standing with accredited four-year colleges or universities which offer at least a baccalaureate degree.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're welcome.

It doesn't matter to me what organizations NALFO consider to be its peers, but what NALFO orgs consider to be its peers.

The NPHC requirements are:

a. Be devoted to general fraternity or sorority ideals and be in conformity with the NPHC Constitution and Bylaws and the NPHC Mission Statement.

b. Have been in existence for at least fifteen (15) years and shall have been incorporated in the United States of America.

c. Be national in scope and consist of a total of no less than one hundred (100) undergraduate and alumni chapters, which have a current financial membership of at least five (5) persons. Of the aforesaid 100 undergraduate and alumni chapters, a total of no less than fifty (50) must have been a part of the fraternity or sorority for at least ten (10) years.

d. Have constitutional provisions for a national convention, with interim authority vested in trustees, a board of directors or the officers who supervise the affairs of the fraternity or sorority.

e. Have undergraduate chapters recognized by and be in good standing with accredited four-year colleges or universities which offer at least a baccalaureate degree.
Thanks....as far as I know SLB, SLG, Ltphi, and LTA fit those requirements the latter 2 of which are still NALFO but the other 2 are without coucils except for SLB who I think is a member of NIC. ...interesting stuff.. thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah I agree the fraternities that left for the most part are members in NIC. there only choice would be what? NPC why not just join that like the frats joined NIC?
IIRC, NPC hasn't had any additions since the 1950s or 1960s. I don't think it's as "easy" to join NPC as it is to join NIC.

ETA: Looks like the last groups were added in 1951.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 04-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IIRC, NPC hasn't had any additions since the 1950s or 1960s. I don't think it's as "easy" to join NPC as it is to join NIC.
Wow...
Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
From the NPC Green Book:

Requirements for Membership
A women’s fraternity must have been established in its national character for
a minimum of 13 years; all of its collegiate chapters must be established in
senior colleges and universities authorized to confer bachelor degrees and
recognized by the appropriate regional association of colleges and
universities; and it must have at least 14 chapters, of which the latest
established is at least two years old.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few sororities that meet those criteria and have never sought membership in NPC.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
So we never got to the point of this thread...should an organization that no longer promotes themselves as latino or latina be allowed to stay in NALFO.

Also, what about the orgs that left? I doubt they will be allowed into NMGC so is a new council the best fit for organizations who were founded as Latino or Latina but now consider themselves multiculturals?
Just some thoughts people...

P.S. this is stupid but what would you call the council? slow work day...
The NMGC appears to be pretty lax in terms of its definition of a multicultural Greek org. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Gamma Eta is a member of the NMGC. Given that fact, I would imagine that SLG and SLB could gain entrance if they removed all traces of "Latina/o" from their identities.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
From the NPC Green Book:

Requirements for Membership
A women’s fraternity must have been established in its national character for
a minimum of 13 years; all of its collegiate chapters must be established in
senior colleges and universities authorized to confer bachelor degrees and
recognized by the appropriate regional association of colleges and
universities; and it must have at least 14 chapters, of which the latest
established is at least two years old.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few sororities that meet those criteria and have never sought membership in NPC.
OK. Most of the sororities in NALFO would probably meet those requirements. I think the recruitment model would be a turn-off for many of them, though.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
OK. Most of the sororities in NALFO would probably meet those requirements. I think the recruitment model would be a turn-off for many of them, though.
NPC member sororities are not required to participate in formal recruitment. For example, SDT is known for not doing so on some campuses, and just existing happily as a smaller and/or unhoused group. Being traditionally Jewish, they are able to attract new members in different ways. If a former NALFO group ended up in the NPC, I wouldn't be surprised to see them operate similarly.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
NPC member sororities are not required to participate in formal recruitment. For example, SDT is known for not doing so on some campuses, and just existing happily as a smaller and/or unhoused group. Being traditionally Jewish, they are able to attract new members in different ways. If a former NALFO group ended up in the NPC, I wouldn't be surprised to see them operate similarly.
I would imagine that some of the traditions (saluting, probating, neo shows, etc.) would not go over well in the NPC.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Interesting. This is different than what I would've expected, based on the previous threads on GC.

Learn something new every day