GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,138
2 members and 2,136 guests
3DGator

Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Tips for getting into an exclusive Fraternity??

I am a freshman and will rush the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in the winter. The fraternities at our school only have rush in the winter.

I have met quite a few guys already through my job which a TKE introduced me to a handful and numerous others recognize me from school.

About 80 rush this fraternity and only about 20 or 25 new members are offered a bid.

I have already met about 20 or 25 brothers out of 54 actives. I have had good conversations with just about all of them and I really connected with about 4 or 5 of them.

I know to be yourself, but what are some other tips to get into this fraternity? I heard trying to meet as many brothers possible and remembering their names is big, what else?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh1 View Post
I am a freshman and will rush the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in the winter. The fraternities at our school only have rush in the winter.

I have met quite a few guys already through my job which a TKE introduced me to a handful and numerous others recognize me from school.

About 80 rush this fraternity and only about 20 or 25 new members are offered a bid.

I have already met about 20 or 25 brothers out of 54 actives. I have had good conversations with just about all of them and I really connected with about 4 or 5 of them.

I know to be yourself, but what are some other tips to get into this fraternity? I heard trying to meet as many brothers possible and remembering their names is big, what else?
QFP.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Not acting like a stuck up, suck up douche bag. See your post above for an example of what to avoid.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Not acting like a stuck up, suck up douche bag. See your post above for an example of what to avoid.
*like*

@~/~~~~
Old 11-22-2013, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I am a fraternity man, and think this fraternity woman has expressed it more eloquently then I could.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m not getting where the original poster is acting like a “stuck up, suck up douche bag”. He has explained what he has done so far and asked “what else”. He hasn’t bragged or said he expects a bid. Sure, he used the word "exclusive", but most GLOs are exclusive, otherwise there wouldn't be membership selection. And while there can be a fine line between confident and arrogance, he seems to be doing what is expected of an NIC rushee.

So "what else?" At this point, I would continue to be yourself and meet and connect with as many brothers as you can. But you may also consider looking at other chapters as well as you may find out you are not a good fit with that chapter.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

No offense, based on your posts on the other website...it's not hard to figure out where you go to school. And thus, it wouldn't be very hard to figure out exactly who you are

Outside of that, you want them to remember YOU for good reasons.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 PM
ProudDGMom

I am new here and do not belong to any "other" websites, but from the responses left to the OP I have to say it does not reflect well on those who responded. He does not come off to ME, someone who is also new to greek chat communities, as anything but excited and inquisitive. I took "exclusive" as one of the more difficult houses to get into. Regardless I hope that my post does not garner equally mean responses and I am not even coming to the OP's defense as much as any new poster on the site here. I would like to think we are all welcome. Maybe the OP has said some things in the "other" website that have created some ill feelings, but as a new person here, and to greek chat in general, I would have no knowledge of this, and after all, what we say to others reflects more about ourselves than them.
Only my second post, aside from my introduction and already I am turned off. Sad.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDGMom View Post
I am new here and do not belong to any "other" websites, but from the responses left to the OP I have to say it does not reflect well on those who responded. He does not come off to ME, someone who is also new to greek chat communities, as anything but excited and inquisitive. I took "exclusive" as one of the more difficult houses to get into. Regardless I hope that my post does not garner equally mean responses and I am not even coming to the OP's defense as much as any new poster on the site here. I would like to think we are all welcome. Maybe the OP has said some things in the "other" website that have created some ill feelings, but as a new person here, and to greek chat in general, I would have no knowledge of this, and after all, what we say to others reflects more about ourselves than them.
Only my second post, aside from my introduction and already I am turned off. Sad.
Good grief can you clutch your pearls any tighter?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
ProudDGMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Good grief can you clutch your pearls any tighter?
Not uptight, just trying to keep things classy. Thank you for asking though.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDGMom View Post
Not uptight, just trying to keep things classy. Thank you for asking though.
Dear DGMom, please read through the site more thoroughly before you jump in and comment.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
I'm Bill and I'm interested in rushing the fraternity Sigma Chi.
???

Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
???
Yup, exactly. When I searched for other posts by the OP earlier today, I saw his introduction and thought maybe he had posted that months ago and changed his mind. Nope. He posted it at 1:30am today, and then he started this thread not even 12 hours later……

@~/~~~~
Old 11-22-2013, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe he decided that Sigma Chi wasn't exclusive enough

Hat's off to the experienced GCers who know how to do a little research!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypi View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the ass while you're leaving. Maybe you can find a more appropriate mommy and me site instead of bothering us with your non-Greek opinions.

Yes, ProudDGMom's post was an over-reaction. Yes, it never goes over well when a newbie plays the "y'all are mean" card. And yes, I will always maintain that the word "classy" just should never be used. Ever.

But way to prove her point. Good job there.