GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,447
2 members and 1,445 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-19-2016, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Do certain recommenders carry more weight than others?

Hi, everyone!

I'm in the midst procuring recs right now for the upcoming school year (a little late, I know). This got me wondering if certain recommenders carry more weight than others. For example, would it be easier for the girls reading them to relate more to something written by a fellow sister of their own age at a different school rather than someone who has not been in college for decades? And I guess another question I have is about recent graduates from the same sorority and school. I have talked to a few who are more than eager to write me recs, but now I am wondering if that could potentially backfire if there was ever any drama with sisters who still attend the school. So I guess, besides, the two scenarios I presented, I was also wondering, from those of you with much more experience, what kind of recommender do you think would be the "ideal" recommender?

Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2016, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Some organizations prefer not to receive recs from active members.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

A rec from someone who has known/your family personally for a number of years goes to the top of the list. Depending on the writer's relationship/history with the chapter (Mrs. Vatal's girls ALWAYS pledge her group), that can have an impact as well.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should be appreciative and positive toward any recent alumnae of chapters at your school -- don't rebuff anyone who actually knows the current actives. They can vouch for you, or just as easily tell their sisters that you said "no, thanks" to a rec offer. If anyone is eagerly offering, take them up on it graciously.

A rec writer who is a high level alumnae officer or a trusted advisor attracts attention, when they're submitted on behalf of PNMs who are well known to the officer.

I wouldn't try to "shop around" for the "best" rec writers -- accept all offers. If you have more than one for a group, that's fine and even common at many competitive campuses.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-19-2016 at 07:45 PM.