GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,435
1 members and 2,434 guests
No Members online

Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice appreciated (if any) 😭

Okay so, my freshman year of college I attended an A&M branch with absolutely no National Greek life. I managed to get my basics out of the way and I transferred a year later as a sophomore (but junior in hours) I didn't really know about how big and awesome Greek life was because I wasn't exposed to it and missed out on formal rush. I wanted to spring rush, but I wanted to be able to get to know all the houses because only like 4 houses were spring rushing, so I missed out on that chance. I wanted to do formal rush this year, but AXiD was colonizing this semester and thought it would've been perfect for me because I am now a junior (senior in hours) and they were looking to colonize girls of all ages! This meant I could not do formal rush and I took that risk and rushed AXiD the week after formal rush. Unfortunately, PNMs were not allowed to be in any organization and I was disqualified after pref night because I was in a law organization

If everything goes well and my degree plan doesn't change, I have the opportunity to graduate early this May. However, I do feel like I missed out on a great opportunity of sisterhood and college experience! I have Greek friends that keep telling me I should rush and that I would be a perfect member, but I'm still unsure if I will get a bid or not this spring because of my classification. I have a good gpa, am well rounded, and have a genuine interest in becoming part of something so great! I heard you can't just open rush a sorority either, so you just have to wait for spring I know this is an awkward situation so anyone have any advice on this? if there is any I know I'm a lost hope lol

Last edited by AG13; 10-13-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2015, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry things didn't work out, and am completely confused by the rule that PNMs can't be in any other organization. That is new to me.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I'm not understand about not being part of any organization. I have never heard this unless it's school specific.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 09-19-2015, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Was this rule that "PNMs were not allowed to be in any organization" something that was explicitly stated or something that you are assuming? Were you specifically told that you were disqualified due to your involvement in a different on campus organization? If not, why do you think this is the case?

Like my fellow GCers, I have never heard of this before and would, in fact, assume that the opposite is true--that a GLO would look to choose members who are involved in other on campus organizations.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

You could have gone thru formal recruitment. And I've never heard of not being allowed to be in another organization. In fact, they usually require that you join at least one or two other orgs. Something is amiss here.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Something sounds off. As long as you aren't a part of an NPC org, Alpha Xi Delta will let you join.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG13 View Post
Okay so, my freshman year of college I attended an A&M branch with absolutely no National Greek life. I managed to get my basics out of the way and I transferred a year later as a sophomore (but junior in hours) I didn't really know about how big and awesome Greek life was because I wasn't exposed to it and missed out on formal rush. I wanted to spring rush, but I wanted to be able to get to know all the houses because only like 4 houses were spring rushing, so I missed out on that chance. I wanted to do formal rush this year, but AXiD was colonizing this semester and thought it would've been perfect for me because I am now a junior (senior in hours) and they were looking to colonize girls of all ages! This meant I could not do formal rush and I took that risk and rushed AXiD the week after formal rush. Unfortunately, PNMs were not allowed to be in any organization and I was disqualified after pref night because I was in a law organization

If everything goes well and my degree plan doesn't change, I have the opportunity to graduate early this May. However, I do feel like I missed out on a great opportunity of sisterhood and college experience! I have Greek friends that keep telling me I should rush and that I would be a perfect member, but I'm still unsure if I will get a bid or not this spring because of my classification. I have a good gpa, am well rounded, and have a genuine interest in becoming part of something so great! I heard you can't just open rush a sorority either, so you just have to wait for spring I know this is an awkward situation so anyone have any advice on this? 🙈 if there is any I know I'm a lost hope lol
That sounds very strange as sororities encourage women to be part of other orgs.

This is going to sound weird but when I hear these kinds of things, I always wonder if it's just the blanket answer given to avoid disclosing the actual reasons people didn't get bids (as that is private info.)

Or what PNMs are theorizing because they don't want to entertain the fact that they just weren't selected. They WANT there to be some sort of external factor rather than "well they just weren't interested."

Either way, I am sorry you didn't get a bid.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

That does not sound right. I think you misunderstood. I have never heard of PNMs interested in a colony not being allowed to participate in formal recruitment. Ever.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG13 View Post
I wanted to spring rush, but I wanted to be able to get to know all the houses because only like 4 houses were spring rushing, so I missed out on that chance.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you in joining a sorority or colonizing the new sorority.

To clarify the above quote from your previous post: you didn't miss out on the chance - you chose not to participate.

Quote:
I wanted to do formal rush this year, but AXiD was colonizing this semester and thought it would've been perfect for me because I am now a junior (senior in hours) and they were looking to colonize girls of all ages! This meant I could not do formal rush and I took that risk and rushed AXiD the week after formal rush.
The best strategy in this case would have been to participate in formal recruitment and then look into the colony should formal recruitment have not worked out.

Who told you that you could not participate in the formal recruitment if you were interested in the colony?

Quote:
Unfortunately, PNMs were not allowed to be in any organization and I was disqualified after pref night because I was in a law organization
Who advised you that participating in any outside clubs would cause you to not be considered for AXiD?

True and Constant
Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This is strange because my chapter of Alpha Xi actually requires us to be involved in at least 1 other campus organization
Old 09-19-2015, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your replies and yes this is a new rule they implemented not too long ago. A lot of people were automatically disqualified due to being in other organizations. Around 40 girls from a separate service fraternity were cut due to this issue mainly because they take time away from the colonizing sorority. This was all new to me too but that is exactly what they told us after our interviews
Old 09-19-2015, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

How did you get to pref then if they disqualified you after interviews?????

And they wouldn't take Miss America if she wouldn't give up her crown?

No, I don't think so.....

Last edited by Titchou; 09-19-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you in joining a sorority or colonizing the new sorority.

To clarify the above quote from your previous post: you didn't miss out on the chance - you chose not to participate.

The best strategy in this case would have been to participate in formal recruitment and then look into the colony should formal recruitment have not worked out.

Who told you that you could not participate in the formal recruitment if you were interested in the colony?

Who advised you that participating in any outside clubs would cause you to not be considered for AXiD?

The rules at our school require us to not not participate in formal recruitment due to the massive amount of girls that go through formal recruitment. And the person that advise me was one of the AXiD members that now work for AXiD and that we spoke to individually at our personal information session
Old 09-20-2015, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

This just doesn't sound right because it's not how we do colonies.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm 99% certain I know the school you attend and women were allowed to participate in formal recruitment and then participate in colony recruitment.

I think where you are getting confused is that women participating in formal recruitment who decided to participate in extension recruitment were not able to sign MRABAs - so they had to withdraw before bid day.

So you technically could have participated in formal but would have had to withdraw before it was completed should you decide to pursue it. You couldn't accept a bid and then try to participate in the colony.

Colony recruitment is competitive. Organizations want to select women who have the time and energy to devote to building the chapter on campus.

My mom was an Alpha Xi Delta colony member and I've heard many stories about the hard work they put in!

Last edited by jenidallas; 09-20-2015 at 01:01 PM.