GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,602
3 members and 1,599 guests
Sarak24034

Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Californian at LSU

Howdy, to give some background I'm going to be majoring in economics at LSU next fall. I was raised in Southern California, however I was raised like a Texan by my father who was a Kappa Alpha at Texas A&M. I'm an intelligent, conservative, religious man with manners, I play tennis, and am very into football. I'm not like the majority of liberal, snapback and vans wearing Californians. I have always admired Southern culture and have been wanting to get out of California and go to an SEC school since I was in 8th grade. I was wondering if some of the top/middle tier fraternities exclusively take southern men. If so, would some one who isn't technically southern, but was raised like one be looked down upon?

Also, since my father was a Kappa Alpha at Texas A&M, would that hold much weight at the LSU KA chapter?

Any information on this is much appreciated! Thank y'all so much!

Sorry if there are already posts on this, but the search function on this site isn't the best.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

There are conservatives in California and Liberals in Texas. Just throwing that out there.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

On some fraternity chapter sites, the chapter will have a section for alumni, and on that page it will invite the alumni to recommend a young man who the alumni thinks might be a good fit. If the LSU KA chapter has such a page, your Dad could recommend you to the chapter.(But before you have Dad do that, wait for some of the GC gentlemen to say whether this is a good thing to do or not).

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-01-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm unfamilar with the South, so I'll leave that alone. That being said, two things I would suggest. One, while tiers will effect your social life at the University, the bonds you build have the potential to last forever, so keep that in mind when pursuing a chapter to join. Second while it is admirable to want to follow your father's footsteps, keep in mind that the LSU KA might not be a good fit for you.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I do not know much about LSU fraternities but I do have a daughter who is in a sorority there. I do know that some sororites (hers included) look for girls from the south mostly. They feel that girls from to far away are likely to leave LSU and they would rather have girls that will be there for 4 years.
But she has also said the fraternites are much more relaxed about many things that the sororites get all uptight about!!!!
KA is considered one of the highly sought after chapters so it might be good for you to get someone to contact them in your behalf. Also look into all chapters, the KA's have a very distinct reputation and type of guy that they pledge that might not be your style. It might not matter to you but I will say that girls have a very different opionion than guys about which chapter is good. Some of the top tier groups are considered jerks by a lot of the girls. And some of the lower tiers are considered much nicer guys that gilrs like to hang out with.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wondering why you are not headed to A&M? It sounds like a perfect fit for you.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
On some fraternity chapter sites, the chapter will have a section for alumni, and on that page it will invite the alumni to recommend a young man who the alumni thinks might be a good fit. If the LSU KA chapter has such a page, your Dad could recommend you to the chapter.(But before you have Dad do that, wait for some of the GC gentlemen to say whether this is a good thing to do or not).
I'll bite. Yes, if KA has a spot for alumni to tell them that a legacy is headed their way, have your father do this. It doesn't guarantee a bid, but it will get your name to a chapter. I don't know how the KAs at LSU take it, but my chapter took a good long look at legacies.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I would do it soon. I am sure that most chapters already know the majority of guys that they will extend a bid to.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Just wondering why you are not headed to A&M? It sounds like a perfect fit for you.
Where is my "like" button?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfHere View Post
I'm an intelligent, conservative, religious man with manners, I play tennis, and am very into football. I'm not like the majority of liberal, snapback and vans wearing Californians.
I guess you missed the manners lesson on not generalizing about who you're not like -- say, for exampe, the majority of liberal, snapback and vans wearing Californians.

Seriously, I'm just going to put this out there to you -- I'm about as Southern as it gets from a family about as Southern as it gets, and few things turn me off as much as statements like the one quoted above. It just comes across as trying too hard. Be yourself, feel free to mention Southern connections like your dad, but don't get into telling people how you're not like stereotypical Californians or how you are like stereotypical Southerners.

And do be aware that not all Southerners are conservative, and that many are conservative about some things but not so much about others. Granted, in the groups and schools you're probably eying, there may be a heavier conservative lean, but Southern = conservative is a stereotype that doesn't work any better for you than Californian = liberal.

Good luck!

Last edited by MysticCat; 04-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

If Californian= liberal worked, then Prop 8 would not have passed.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Princessamy - Notice I said "majority".

FSUZeta - Thanks so much for the tip!

tootiepie2 - I'm not only rushing the KA chapter there, however I was asking about the legacy policy between KA chapters to see if it could possibly give me leg up in getting a bid.

Just interested - My family and I simply can't afford the $38,000 + fraternity dues that we'd have to pay at A&M. I looked through SEC schools and found that we could only afford, Mississippi State, LSU, and Ole Miss. After visiting the campuses and finding out my information, I decided on LSU.

Mystic Cat - I'm sorry if I sounded rude to you, however I was simply putting that out there in order to get information as to whether or not I would have too much bias against me when I rush at LSU. Honestly, the majority of people that come from where I'm from are stuck up people, that don't have respect for anyone or anything except for themselves. With that said, I'm sorry if I got a little carried away with trying to separate myself from them. I would never say something like that to some one in person, I was just saying that in order to get some information on biases against Californians. Lastly, I know that not all Californians are liberal, and not all Southerners are conservative, however I am conservative. I was just providing information about myself in case anyone from LSU would be able to recommend certain houses or anything like that.

Thank y'all so much for giving suggestions and answering my questions!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Mystic Cat - I'm sorry if I sounded rude to you, however I was simply putting that out there in order to get information as to whether or not I would have too much bias against me when I rush at LSU. Honestly, the majority of people that come from where I'm from are stuck up people, that don't have respect for anyone or anything except for themselves. With that said, I'm sorry if I got a little carried away with trying to separate myself from them. I would never say something like that to some one in person, I was just saying that in order to get some information on biases against Californians. Lastly, I know that not all Californians are liberal, and not all Southerners are conservative, however I am conservative. I was just providing information about myself in case anyone from LSU would be able to recommend certain houses or anything like that.
The way through this is -> I would introduce you as a native Texan raised by Texans in California. Much as I was a native of the Mississippi Delta, raised by a passel of Mississippi Delta women in varied locations such as D.C., California, Alabama, and New Orleans. Strange origin story cured.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was going to take issue with your original comment earlier, but I think I get a better sense of what rubs me the wrong way now.

I think you have a case of "grass is greener" syndrome. You seem to have such a negative opinion of where you grew up, the culture and the people, while idolizing old school stereotypes of the South. From the brief passages you've written, you paint a truly terrible picture of Californians that not only damages your credibility, but is just not accurate. When I hear someone have that much negativity to their environment, I usually suspect someone of playing poorly with others and having adjustment issues.

My general advice is to be respectful of people, seek middle ground and work at finding the good in others. Be aware that a change of scenery doesn't always change your interaction with the scenery.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

LAblondeGPhi - To be perfectly honest, that might be the case. I am coming off as kind of a douche to a lot of people on this thread, I can tell. However, whenever I visit the South I have ALWAYS encountered nicer people there than the people where I am from. It is possible that just fit in more with them, or it could be that a good amount of people from my area are just stuck up people. I'm not saying that everyone from California is stuck up. All I was saying is that the majority of people that are from my area are not respectful to their surroundings. Either way, I will be more sensitive about bringing this up in the future.