GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,390
3 members and 1,387 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 10-10-2015, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Those articles are incorrect. Mrs. Obama was extended honorary membership but she ultimately did not accept and was not initiated.

If she had already been a member of any org it would not have been an issue at all. Doing this at beginning of first term would not have been smart. Wherever her heart lies, once POTUS is out of office she'll be free to pursue.

[\slides back into lane]
Old 10-10-2015, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Stanford is already used to working with the Secret Service (Chelsea Clinton), they may have a leg up just for that reason alone. Some universities may not want the restrictions of having a former first daughter.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post

Not sure about Greek life at any of those places, but I doubt she will join anything. Her parents did not join social GLOs while in college and it doesn't appear that her family's close friends are Greek either.
It wouldn't surprise me if she joined APO.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think she'll choose Columbia, personally. But I am sure she will be happy wherever she goes.

Not sure about Greek life at any of those places, but I doubt she will join anything. Her parents did not join social GLOs while in college and it doesn't appear that her family's close friends are Greek either.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardusttwin17 View Post
Those articles are incorrect. Mrs. Obama was extended honorary membership but she ultimately did not accept and was not initiated.

If she had already been a member of any org it would not have been an issue at all. Doing this at beginning of first term would not have been smart. Wherever her heart lies, once POTUS is out of office she'll be free to pursue.

[\slides back into lane]
I'm glad you said it because I couldn't find articles to reference though everyone in the D9 already knew/talked about it ad nauseam.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did the Bush girls go to college, and were they in sororities?
Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
Where did the Bush girls go to college, and were they in sororities?
The Bush daughters are both Kappa Alpha Theta members, like their mother. Jenna went to Univ of Texas in Austin. Barbara graduated from Yale.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

[\slides back into lane]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I agree.

I'm glad you said it because I couldn't find articles to reference though everyone in the D9 already knew/talked about it ad nauseam.
Only partially true. She did accept, but was never initiated.

In 2008, at the Centennial Boule Public Program, the International President Barbara McKenzie read a letter from Barack Obama which had a PS saying that Michelle was flattered and accepted their offer of honorary membership. (Source: I actually watched the live stream of the Public Program; the letter was also printed in the 2010 edition of the AKA history book.)

The crowd went wild and the media ran with the story as if she had already been initiated. Then the PR people for the campaign stepped in with this non-exclusive foolishness.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
As wonderful as all the east coast ivies are, I think that Stanford far and away has the best combination of uber-elite academics and campus athletics. Actually, I think the California schools in general do that pretty well (Cal, UCLA, and even USC).
[Complete hijack].

UCLA and USC have been on the same exact tier academically for many years now. While UCLA has traditionally been the stronger, they draw the same exact students, have the same exact stats, and are often ranked together on all the important lists (both are at #23 this year on the US News rankings).

California is spoiled for choice when it comes to excellent universities and all four are very hard to get into, but it's clearly:
1. Stanford
2. Cal
3. UCLA/USC
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
[Complete hijack].

UCLA and USC have been on the same exact tier academically for many years now. While UCLA has traditionally been the stronger, they draw the same exact students, have the same exact stats, and are often ranked together on all the important lists (both are at #23 this year on the US News rankings).

California is spoiled for choice when it comes to excellent universities and all four are very hard to get into, but it's clearly:
1. Stanford
2. Cal
3. UCLA/USC
I don't know if you are just omitting it because you were quoting the poster above you, but UC - Berkeley is generally considered the best public school in the nation.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't know if you are just omitting it because you were quoting the poster above you, but UC - Berkeley is generally considered the best public school in the nation.
"Cal" = UC Berkeley

Also up there in public school "rankings" but for different programs: UT-Austin, University of Michigan, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVA, Georgia Tech.

Last edited by Ag_Sis; 10-10-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Cal = UC Berkeley. What people in California call it. I can see how that would be confusing if you're out of state / don't follow college football.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
Cal = UC Berkeley. What people in California call it. I can see how that would be confusing if you're out of state / don't follow college football.
Duh, my brain made Cal into Cal Tech instead of Berkeley.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Only partially true. She did accept, but was never initiated.

In 2008, at the Centennial Boule Public Program, the International President Barbara McKenzie read a letter from Barack Obama which had a PS saying that Michelle was flattered and accepted their offer of honorary membership. (Source: I actually watched the live stream of the Public Program; the letter was also printed in the 2010 edition of the AKA history book.)

The crowd went wild and the media ran with the story as if she had already been initiated. Then the PR people for the campaign stepped in with this non-exclusive foolishness.
And this double talk is why incorrect information continues to be repeated as fact. A PS in an anniversary journal letter from her husband the President is not acceptance. You're a member you know what needs to be done to complete offer. Being offered the opportunity and actually going through with said opportunity are two different things.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A PS in an anniversary journal letter from her husband the President is not acceptance..
That's not what it was. But I feel you.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Malia Obama Sends Acceptance Letter To Harvard

Bonus lulz in the comments: all the people who think that this is an attempted “fake” rather than satire. And extra-special bonus lulz- the one person who apparently thinks it’s real.