GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
0 members and 1,372 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Association

I belong to small local sorority and even though our numbers aren't that large compared to other greeks we have plenty of alumni but over the past few years we've be losing touch with them and it's getting harder and harder for us to convince them to come out to events. Recently we were talking to a few other locals in the region and they mentioned having an alumni association. We thought that would be a great idea to keep the alumni active and help take some event planning off our shoulders. Were not exactly sure how to go about starting this and were looking for advice.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterdawn View Post
I belong to small local sorority and even though our numbers aren't that large compared to other greeks we have plenty of alumni but over the past few years we've be losing touch with them and it's getting harder and harder for us to convince them to come out to events. Recently we were talking to a few other locals in the region and they mentioned having an alumni association. We thought that would be a great idea to keep the alumni active and help take some event planning off our shoulders. Were not exactly sure how to go about starting this and were looking for advice.
Your best bet is to get the alumnae involved in forming the alumnae association. Since you are actives you cannot be part of the alumnae association, therefore you aren't the best one to push it forward.

Do you have a newsletter? Think first about what you can do for them, rather than what they can do for you.

Re: the bolded, alumnae associations do not exist to plan events for actives. Alumnae associations exist to keep the bond of sisterhood strong, stay active in the group, and provide support as needed to active chapters. That normally means helping with recruitment, advising officers, etc. That does not mean planning events. Normally actives plan one or two events per year to honor the alumnae and thank them for their support.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Normally actives plan one or two events per year to honor the alumnae and thank them for their support.
Well there is an organization on my campus where the alumni throw a big BBQ family type thing every year, that the actives take no part in planning. Obviously the actives plan on-campus events and anniversaries but since our alumni do NOTHING as it is and only complain about how they have families now that maybe they should plan a big family get together.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM

Then if they want to have that sort of function, that's up to THEM to plan it. It has nothing to do with the active chapter.

If they're all in Babyland and all they care about is diapers and strained peaches, let them be there for a while, because the last thing I'm sure you guys (collegians that is) want to hear about is teething issues. Plan a yearly reception at Homecoming, keep them involved with a listserv or Facebook group so they know what's happening in the ACTIVE CHAPTER, but don't break your backs if they aren't going to do shit for you. It's so much easier to keep in touch nowadays that the only way to not find someone is if they don't want to be found.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah i mean a bunch of them are in baby land but theres a good amount not. It's hard cause they constantly complain about everything but yet they don't have time to come out and support us. sucky situation
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you know any energetic, active alumnae? Suggest the idea to them. Like Lily said, the actual alum assoc/chapter will be an alum driven project. How would collegians go about getting alumnae to go? Even if this did get started, have the goal be to continue the bonds of friendship for a lifetime... not to throw parties for the collegiates. I don't think busy women will be jumping to take time away from their young families to put on a BBQ for you guys if there isn't a huge group of them to spread the work around.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have you searched on the Internet (as well as this forum) for information?

As other posters have stated, you are seriously misinformed about the function of alumnae associations. I am an advisor for a college chapter and my position is to advise, not to tell the actives what to do. It is their chapter and their responsibility to plan and execute events successfully. I wouldn't dream of planning their events. It's not my chapter, it's theirs!

Quote:
Well there is an organization on my campus where the alumni throw a big BBQ family type thing every year, that the actives take no part in planning. Obviously the actives plan on-campus events and anniversaries but since our alumni do NOTHING as it is and only complain about how they have families now that maybe they should plan a big family get together.
Oh, I get it now.

Something about your remarks is directing me to get some popcorn and a soda and find a comfy seat.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
yeah i mean a bunch of them are in baby land but theres a good amount not. It's hard cause they constantly complain about everything but yet they don't have time to come out and support us. sucky situation

It sounds to me like YOU’RE the one complaining. What exactly are they so worked up about? If they complain about things that the active chapter is doing, they shouldn’t – and an alumni association isn’t going to fix that.

You say that you’ve lost touch with the alumni… why don’t you start there? Rather than forcing them to get together and plan events for the active chapter (something that alumni of any organization are not required to do.. nor should it be expected of them), why not plan something for them? Something as simple as an annual alumni dinner can go a long way. Even if many of them can’t attend, I’m sure it would make them happy to at least get an invite. Why not send out a monthly newsletter keeping them apprised of your recent accomplishments, your newest pledge class’s ceremonies, your next big event, etc. Alumni will be more willing to get involved if they know what’s going on in the chapter.

And here’s an idea… if they have young families and they live in the area, why not offer babysitting services? College students are always looking to make a few extra bucks, and young parents could always use an extra sitter.

There are a lot of things you could do for the alumni that won’t take up a ton of your time. And if you’re willing to do something for them, maybe they’ll do something for you (but don’t expect it!).

@~/~~~~
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Something about your remarks is directing me to get some popcorn and a soda and find a comfy seat.
That was my instinct from the start too, but couldn't help myself with 3 hours & no response.

Take a seat. We can pick who gets the chair without popcorn.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, but this has to be pointed out. If your graduated members are women it's AlumnAE, not AlumnI, which is the masculine plural of alumnus.

And it's not your alums' job to entertain you or anyone else. The best you can do, if you want to instill a sense of longevity and history in your sorority, is to start building it from within right now. Maybe you'll have some good young tradition in 5 years or so.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Sorry, but this has to be pointed out. If your graduated members are women it's AlumnAE, not AlumnI.
No offense but even in our constitution its spelled out "Alumni" so i'm not gonna change how i spell it.
And we do send out weekly updates about everything were doing and every year we throw a event that's celebrates the alumni and how far the organization has come, we even go on retreats but most don't show up.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No offense but even in our constitution its spelled out "Alumni" so i'm not gonna change how i spell it.
No offense, but if all of your graduated members are women, then your constitution is gramatically incorrect.

Quote:
And we do send out weekly updates about everything were doing and every year we throw a event that's celebrates the alumni and how far the organization has come, we even go on retreats but most don't show up.
Then move on. Why try to build an alumni/alumnae (whatever you want to call it) association if no one will want to do anything with it?

@~/~~~~
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

All i wanted was suggestions about how this can be brought up to alumni but im just getting criticized so it's not even worth it
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then it seems to me that your first task is to find out why? It doesn't seem to me that you can successfully plan ways for your alumnae to be more involved and stay more connected if you don't really understand why that's not happening now. A more formal alumnae association might be a move in the wrong direction -- more of what they're not wanting now.

You can't fix it unless you really understand how and why it's broken. If I were going to start anywhere, I'd start with a survey to find out why they don't come to things they're invited to and what form of connection they would like to have.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
If I were going to start anywhere, I'd start with a survey to find out why they don't come to things they're invited to and what form of connection they would like to have.
lol what if they don't answer my survey. Sorry i appreciate the help though. i'll definitely bring that up to the actives tho.