GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,475
0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 04:35 PM
gloriajean

Talking Could some BGLO ladies please explain how the NPHC sorority rush process happens?

Can some ladies please explain how BGLO sorority rush happens?

Suppose, hypothetically that I was a young lady in freshman year with good grades, etc. and I wanted to rush the NPHC sororities, and I don't know anything about Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sigma Gamma Rho, Zeta Phi Beta or Delta Sigma Theta? (Assume that all 4 groups are on campus) What is the process please? Do you check out all of them, so as to make an informed decision, or is it best just to approach only one (even if you don't know anyone in that one sorority, or in any of the other BGLO sororities).

I would like to expand my knowledge of both the NPC and the NPHC systems, and any helpful, informative posts would be appreciated. Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2000, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Referring to your hypothetical scenario, if that young woman had no information about any of the NPHC sororities, she should thouroughly research each sorority BEFORE expressing interest in any particular one. Once she has done her research, she should make an INFORMED decision about which sorority she feels she would be the greastest asset to. Once interest is expressed, it is frowned upon to then express interest to a different org. Down the line, if the young lady has all of her criteria in order, she will attend a rush and submit all of her application materials. At that point, the chapter members vote on her for membership. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by SkeeBunny (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old 06-12-2000, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I'm going to bite....please understand that I cannot and will not give specifics.

Each Sorority holds their RUSH separately. It's not common for Sororities to have the RUSH on the same day, unless the chapters have agreed to do so and certainly not in the same general location/room. Attendance at RUSH is not guaranteed by all chapters. Some chapters do their RUSH by invitation only, some put up flyers. Generally, RUSH is looked upon as the final decision, meaning the young lady has done her research and gotten to know a few members of the organization (highly important and recommended) and has decided which organization she wishes to pursue when she comes to RUSH.

At the RUSH, pertinent Sorority information is given, including GPA, credit hour (usually a minimum of sophomore status), and financial requirements, and applications are given to those who wish to continue their quest. From there the application is processed by the chapter and interviews are given to those who meet the minimum requirements. From there the applicant pool is narrowed by the chapter's vote to determine who will be extended an invitation. Those who accept the invitation then begin their journey to full membership in that respective Sorority.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-12-2000, 05:10 PM
gloriajean

Arrow

From the posts above, my understanding is that when a rushee shows her face in person to meet the BGLO sorority at their Rush functions, she should pretty much show up to meet ONE GROUP ONLY and proclaim "Hi, I want to join "QQQ" sorority?

Or would she visit all 4 to check them out and then tell her sorority of choice that they are the ones that she wants.

Am I understanding this correctly? Please let me know if I am on the write track.
Thank you for your posts so far - it has been very educational.
Old 06-12-2000, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You are correct. By the time an interested young lady shows up at rush, it would be in her best interest for the members of the sorority to be very aware that she is seeking membership. This can be done by verbally expressing her interest and attending all sorority sponsored evernts. It is TABOO to attend more than one sorority's rush. So, in a nutshell, by the time she attends rush, she should know in her heart that XYZ is the ONLY sorority for her.
Old 06-12-2000, 05:33 PM
gloriajean

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeBunny:
You are correct. By the time an interested young lady shows up at rush, it would be in her best interest for the members of the sorority to be very aware that she is seeking membership. This can be done by verbally expressing her interest and attending all sorority sponsored evernts. It is TABOO to attend more than one sorority's rush. So, in a nutshell, by the time she attends rush, she should know in her heart that XYZ is the ONLY sorority for her.
Okay, thank for the clarification.

One more question:
If some Rush functions are by invitation only, how does one get invited (i.e. how is the sorority made aware of the freshman's existence and interest?) If my Mom, Grandma or NextDoor Neighbour is an XYZ alumna, can they write letters to the chapter on campus saying that I am going to be a freshman and that in their opinion I would be a suitable member and please extend me an invitation?

How is the chapter (or chapters) informed about the incoming freshman ladies?

Old 06-12-2000, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmmmmm, now your questions are getting a little more sticky. So, sorry if I sound a little vague. I'll just say that a perspective should seek membership into the sorority on her own merits, not on someone else's accomplishments. Therefore, it is up to her to make sure that the chapter members are aware of her interest. I think it is safe to say that we all believe that she should seek the sorority, the sorority will not seek her.

[This message has been edited by SkeeBunny (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old 06-12-2000, 05:52 PM
gloriajean

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hmmmmmm, now your questions are getting a little more sticky. So, sorry if I sound a little vague. I'll just say that a perspective should seek membership into the sorority on her own merits, not on someone else's accomplishments. Therefore, it is up to her to make sure that the chapter members are aware of her interest.
So basically, if you really really really want to join a certain group, don't keep it a secret from them, yes?

Old 06-12-2000, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes and No....discretion is very necessary.

Quote:
Originally posted by gloriajean:
So basically, if you really really really want to join a certain group, don't keep it a secret from them, yes?

Old 06-12-2000, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
I just want to add that NPHC sorority rush is not supposed to be a final declation of intent to apply a specific sorority, but common collegiate practice has made this so. Theoretically, if one is searching for more information on any of the NPHC sororities, she should be able to attend more than one organizations' rush, as these events are one of the few instances where it's legal and appropriate for members and prospectives to get together and exchange information about the organization.

However, many chapters treat a prospective's attendance at one group's rush as a final declaration of intent to join that sorority. This is unfortunate and in many cases wrong, but is currently the reality on many campuses.

The most stress-free way (meaning, the way to arouse the least amount of ire from members) to go about learning what NPHC sorority might be a good fit for you is to meet current chapter members, support their community service and public events, and learn what you can about the history/legacy of each organization. Of course, maintaining an excellent GPA and providing consistent, meanignful community service are imperative as well.

Once you've decided which sorority is for you, your continued presence at chapter functions will usually serve as notice to members of XYZ sorority that you are interested. However, you may want to approach a member you know well that you are interested in joining her organization and would like to be informed of her sorority's upcoming activities.

God speed in your endeavors.
Old 06-12-2000, 07:54 PM
kissy324

I'm a non-greek but I wanted to add that at the college in my area, the bglo's encourage those who are interested in greek life to attend the "interest meetings" of more than one sorority or fraternity. One or two days out the school year, the bglo's have what is called "greek night" (I think that is the name) where the different sororities and fraternities are located in different rooms. The students can go from one room to the other getting information on each bglo. They've only been doing this for a few years, but I think it is an excellent idea.

[This message has been edited by kissy324 (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old 06-12-2000, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmmmmmm, now your questions are getting a little more sticky. So, sorry if I sound a little vague.
This probably sounds dumb, but is NPHC "rush" secretive? I know that the member selection process in my group is a secret (but from what I hear a lot of GLO's do it the same way), but not our parties or events. I've never heard it put this way - just wondering!

Old 06-12-2000, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I think 'secretive' is the wrong word although I guess it seems that way. I think a better word to describe the NPHC intake process would be 'discreet'. It's a subtle difference, yes. But I think that we in NPHC organizations expect our prospectives to exercise a certain amount of discretion when involved in intake.

Also, for those who come through collegiate intake, the new line's probate is a pretty big deal. A probate is a 'show' when you show everyone that you are now a member of the organization you chose. It's much more fun when it's a big surprise who the new members are. I know that I have gone to probates and thought Wow, never would have thought she would plegde XYZ!

ZetaAce
Old 06-12-2000, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

The basic thing to understand is that you are supposed to do your reasearch before you go to rush . Rush is not a place to really go to think about if you want to be in this org. There will probably be informational for hosted earlier in the year that you should go to to inquire about and to learn things about the sorority and it's members. Hope I helped

Quote:
Originally posted by gloriajean:
From the posts above, my understanding is that when a rushee shows her face in person to meet the BGLO sorority at their Rush functions, she should pretty much show up to meet ONE GROUP ONLY and proclaim "Hi, I want to join "QQQ" sorority?

Or would she visit all 4 to check them out and then tell her sorority of choice that they are the ones that she wants.

Am I understanding this correctly? Please let me know if I am on the write track.
Thank you for your posts so far - it has been very educational.
Old 06-13-2000, 01:16 AM
gloriajane

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by blu_theatrics:
There will probably be informational for hosted earlier in the year that you should go to to inquire about and to learn things about the sorority and it's members. Hope I helped
Thank you for clarifying that there are informational meetings. It is considered "bad" to go to informational meetings for all 4 NPHC sororities, if one doesn't know any sorority members personally?

I am asking this because, in terms of doing your "research", yes, I can look up and peruse each sorority's website and request some informational pamphlets, but ultimately how does one know if one group is a better fit than another unless they actually meet the ladies of that specific campus chapter?

Therefore, the informational meetings sound like a great idea for prospective members to meet the members on campus.

Closed Thread