GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 572
2 members and 570 guests
Low D Flat, naraht

Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush shirts and copyrights?

Hi! I've been thinking about potential rush shirt ideas and I really like a whole Godfather type thing because I'm in a co-ed frat and we're really trying to get more guys. So I think something masculine like the Godfather would be good. But I'm not sure about copyrights and infringing on that. Ideally I'd have a picture of Marlon Brando and the logo (how it says The Godfather with the, like, puppet strings. But The Godfather would be replaced with Phi Sigma Pi). Anyway, do you think that would be totally infringing on copyrights or something?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPgirl2012 View Post
Hi! I've been thinking about potential rush shirt ideas and I really like a whole Godfather type thing because I'm in a co-ed frat and we're really trying to get more guys. So I think something masculine like the Godfather would be good. But I'm not sure about copyrights and infringing on that. Ideally I'd have a picture of Marlon Brando and the logo (how it says The Godfather with the, like, puppet strings. But The Godfather would be replaced with Phi Sigma Pi). Anyway, do you think that would be totally infringing on copyrights or something?
This is generally iffy ground depending on what image you're using and where you get it from. But...you're not selling the shirts to the public though and this generally gets people off the hook. Your organization's policies may vary on this.

Is your concern legal or ethical?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Legal more than ethical, lol. I'd really hate to get my Chapter in trouble with the law over rush shirts.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a lawyer, but based on the fact that everyone does it you're probably pretty unlikely to get in trouble for it even if it is something that you could get in trouble for.

Other than that I can only help on the ethics side
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 AM

There was a really good article in Delta Gamma's "The Anchora" where one chapter used some Johnny Cupcakes designs and got in trouble for it. The Anchora's message was basically "don't do it". I'll see if I can find a link that that article.

eta: go here and jump to page 12:

http://digital.watkinsprinting.com/publication/?i=18217

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 11-14-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw that Johnny Cupcakes article and I definitely do NOT want that happening to my chapter.

I guess I'll just put it to a vote with my chapter and see what everyone says.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I vote to not do it.

Come up with something original.

Not that I am for spoon-feeding ideas, but I am feeling generous today, But what about something along the lines of (fair use) "Jack and Jill", or "Life's easier with a brother or sister on your side", "We get to CHOOSE our brothers and sisters", "We ARE our brother's and sisters' keepers. And we like it that way." etc.

Nothing that disparages any other entity, but something that glorifies your existence. Good luck. Nothing that is sexual, but encouraging equality of worth among members.

Part of your problem in competing with social rush shirts is that you are not theoretically a social organization. Yes, you may have some social aspects, but focusing on the social "benefits" of being co-ed isn't going to win over someone who is teetering between joining you any other co-ed honorary or any single-sex social organization.

Honestly, the rush shirts in this case may serve simply awareness that you exist, than to be a tool on which to spend great resources of time and energy developing for recruitment purposes. Again, consider what you want the shirts to accomplish, and move from there.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
There was a really good article in Delta Gamma's "The Anchora" where one chapter used some Johnny Cupcakes designs and got in trouble for it. The Anchora's message was basically "don't do it". I'll see if I can find a link that that article.

eta: go here and jump to page 12:

http://digital.watkinsprinting.com/publication/?i=18217
Oh my gracious! Now I completely understand being upset/mad about someone using your copyrighted images without your permission, but directing an angry mob to a sorority house at 11:30 at night? To me that is highly immature/unprofessional, and more like throwing a giant temper tantrum than getting a problem addressed. If he was so concerned about the violation of his copyright, he should have scheduled a meeting with chapter leadership to resolve the issue in an adult manner instead of pulling out the torches and pitchforks on those poor women. I can't imagine how frightening it was for them.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
Oh my gracious! Now I completely understand being upset/mad about someone using your copyrighted images without your permission, but directing an angry mob to a sorority house at 11:30 at night? To me that is highly immature/unprofessional, and more like throwing a giant temper tantrum than getting a problem addressed. If he was so concerned about the violation of his copyright, he should have scheduled a meeting with chapter leadership to resolve the issue in an adult manner instead of pulling out the torches and pitchforks on those poor women. I can't imagine how frightening it was for them.
http://shop.johnnycupcakes.com/story/

Uhhh...after reading his website, it's no surprise that he handled it the way he did. He's proud of his bold and brazen ways that led his way to success. Hell, I'd be pissed too.