GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,035
Threads: 114,212
Welcome to our newest member, drfcvhgjgh
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Putting this out here for other PNMs to read:

Don't share so much. How many juniors do you think are going through that have a 3.2 (or whatever) and are double majoring and are going to be there another year and a half AND have a cat named Liiy??? I mean, come on. You put that info about the cat in the same sentence where you stated that you knew what info to put and not put on here so no one can identify you. THEN you go and name the two sororities you want.

Really?

Oh, and clemsongirl told you exactly what I told you.

Echoing FSUZeta:good luck with your two chosen sororities. SMH.

And I have no idea who you are, nor do I care; please read Titchou's post (below) for an explanation of why WE are concerned. I would never do anything to undermine or sabotage anyone's recruitment. Honestly, you seem to be capable of doing that all on your own without anyone's help.

Really hoping you're a troll.

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyy View Post
Aztheta you cannot identify me. My gpa isn't actually that and my name is definitely not lily, so whoever you're thinking about isn't me. I just want advice because Chi O and DG are my top choices and although I have rec letters, amazing dresses, and everything into place, the fact that they might cut me because of my classification scares me a little. Also thank you Clemsongirl for giving me some advice!
It's not that WE are thinking anything. It's that chapter members troll FB, GC,etc for people like you....and that's not something you want to happen. And then there are alums on here who might actually send this link to their chapter to alert them to you. Not to mention the alums on here who have enough gravitas to get the entire PNM list from any school and search it for PNMs who have put this sort of information in a public forum. Please realize we have your best interests at heart.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

The identifying info wouldn't be so bad if you hadn't referred to the orgs you're interested in as "mid" or "bottom" tier.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you apparently listened to me the first time, I'll share some harsh-but-true wisdom that hopefully will get your head out of whatever hole in the ground it's currently stuck in.

You're a junior by year with a low GPA for women going through recruitment. As awesome as your extracurriculars might be, every other PNM going through also has great extracurriculars, and most have better grades and more time on campus to give to the sorority. Even if you make it crystal clear that you have three more years left, that's still one less than everyone else in a system that prioritizes membership longevity. You are at an immediate disadvantage to the vast majority of the women going through recruitment with you. Even if you have friends in chapters pulling for you-multiple friends, not one girl you sat next to in class once who seemed nice-you will still likely be cut hard after the first few rounds. You should gratefully accept any bid you receive from any chapter, because they hold all the power and you hold essentially none.

That said, picking favorites hurts you both ways. Every other chapter that you did not name as a favorite will now be uninterested in you if they were before, because they're not one of your "favorites". Why should they care about you when you've already told them you see them as lesser to other groups? Conversely, the groups you have named won't be thrilled that you picked them out based on whatever your own criteria are, because you probably don't know enough of the women individually to know if you'd be a good fit for that chapter. Or if you do, hopefully they like you back enough to keep you around.

You can keep spouting off about your favorites until kingdom come and it won't hurt me one bit-I've already gotten my bid. You are only torpedoing your own chances at this point, which isn't something any of us want. Cool it with the favorites-yes, you probably know the campus reputations well enough to have an idea of where you'd fit, but the sororities don't care about what you think, because they get to decide whether they want you or not.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Where's the "Like" button?

1. Going through competitive recruitment is difficult as a junior.
2. Labeling sororities as mid and lower tier is bad form.
3. Any bid is a good bid when you are a junior.
4. My sorority is at Texas Tech and is not lower tier. None of them are.
5. See #s 1 and 2. Lather, rinse and repeat.

I hope your recruitment experience is successful, but as a junior you should be a bit more evolved than you are presenting.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll start out by saying that I went to Texas Tech, and would agree that you have put entirely too much information about yourself out for the internet to see. Not many juniors rush at Tech, even less of them are double majors, and even less of them have a 3.2 GPA. Giving this much information about yourself makes it evidently clear who you are. Also, referring to the houses you want as middle and bottom tier is immature as well as disrespectful to the chapters you mentioned.

I truly wish you the best in recruitment, but would highly suggest removing this post before anyone else from Tech comes across it.

To answer your question, Tech has a competitive recruitment and most chapters don't take more than 3 or 4 sophomores, much less juniors or seniors. I believe we have an upperclassman quota, but I'm not sure how that works because I don't remember ever seeing juniors or seniors pledging. There is a reason for this, and it is this: as a junior, you are about 2 or 3 years older than your pledge sisters. Because of this, you likely will not fit in with them, and it is important to the recruitment team that they gain a pledge class that is close and create genuine friendships. This is hard when you aren't living in the dorm with them, taking the same classes as them, eating lunch on campus everyday with them, etc.

I say this not to deter you from rushing, but as a reality check. If you find the right house, none of those things will matter and you will feel comfortable despite your age difference. Once again, good luck!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I'll guess you all would be glad to know I am not attending rush. The sorority women on here alone have swayed my decision because if me telling you all about myself is detrimental to me finding a home or not JUST because I included ranking is ridiculous. I read from a couple other greek sites and acknowledge it or not, tier is relevant and taken into consideration by most if not all pnms. And yes my name is Lily and I am of Asian descent. Just so you all can run to your chapters and gossip about how much you all hurt a girl and emptied her pocket 105 dollars. I am not deleting this post so I can read any further replies. Thanks for giving me an extra week to better find myself and relax at home before moving in the dorms. Peace✌
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator