GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,043
Threads: 114,118
Welcome to our newest member, kellyorgan

Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm interested in Sigma Gamma RHO

OK I decided to create a forum for all those who may be interested or have questions about the illustrious Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated.

Poodles!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineprint View Post
OK I decided to create a forum for all those who may be interested or have questions about the illustrious Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated.

Poodles!!!!
Are you an aspirant or a member?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Mership status

I am a member
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not seeing it now but someone posted what would my sorors at my school think of this. here is my response.

Well Maybe I should start by saying that I am not now at a school as I have attained my bachelors degree and am an Active and Financial Member of an Alumni Chapter. What I find is that both undergraduate and graduates alike are interested in various sororities or fraternities and some not all members act as if they are so high and mighty they make themselves unapproachable. This post was simply meant to allow any ladies aspiring to become apart of my illustrious organization, an opportunity to obtain (non privlidged) information through this forum.
Hope this answers you question.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not seeing it now but someone posted what would my sorors at my school think of this. here is my response.

Well Maybe I should start by saying that I am not now at a school as I have attained my bachelors degree and am an Active and Financial Member of an Alumni Chapter. What I find is that both undergraduate and graduates alike are interested in various sororities or fraternities and some not all members act as if they are so high and mighty they make themselves unapproachable. This post was simply meant to allow any ladies aspiring to become apart of my illustrious organization, an opportunity to obtain (non privlidged) information through this forum.
Ok.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Welcome to GC! I sent you a PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hello all! I am an aspirant of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated. I am, what you might consider, a "newbie" to GreekChat as well, so please bear with me, as I am sure some variance of this has been posted before.

I grew up in an area that didn't really have a lot of African-Americans, as well as was a first generation college student, so I didn't have much experience with BGLOs or Greek life in general until my sophomore year of college, when I began researching the Divine Nine. As I completed my research, I became interested in Sigma Gamma Rho, and acquainted myself with the members of the sorority on my campus. Although I wanted to pursue membership in undergrad, I was also in a tough situation where I was working two jobs, interning, and taking a full load of classes while applying for post-graduate opportunities, so I didn't think it would be the best time to dedicate myself to a MIP, if invited. However, now that I have graduated and am on more solid footing with my finances, I have realized that my dream of serving my community through this organization has not died. I would love to pursue membership in an alumnae chapter.

I will have the opportunity of attending an alumnae interest meeting soon, and I respectfully ask for any advice or tips on this - I have only attended undergraduate chapter interest meetings, and I am wondering, if there is a different protocol or anything I should expect? I want to be as prepared as possible. In addition, if possible, can anyone highlight differences between pursuing alumnae and undergraduate membership? I understand if these cannot be provided, and thank you all for your time!

Last edited by missmoni; 12-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmoni View Post
Hello all! I am an aspirant of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated. I am, what you might consider, a "newbie" to GreekChat as well, so please bear with me, as I am sure some variance of this has been posted before.

I grew up in an area that didn't really have a lot of African-Americans, as well as was a first generation college student, so I didn't have much experience with BGLOs or Greek life in general until my sophomore year of college, when I began researching the Divine Nine. As I completed my research, I became interested in Sigma Gamma Rho, and acquainted myself with the members of the sorority on my campus. Although I wanted to pursue membership in undergrad, I was also in a tough situation where I was working two jobs, interning, and taking a full load of classes while applying for post-graduate opportunities, so I didn't think it would be the best time to dedicate myself to a MIP, if invited. However, now that I have graduated and am on more solid footing with my finances, I have realized that my dream of serving my community through this organization has not died. I would love to pursue membership in an alumnae chapter.

I will have the opportunity of attending an alumnae interest meeting soon, and I respectfully ask for any advice or tips on this - I have only attended undergraduate chapter interest meetings, and I am wondering, if there is a different protocol or anything I should expect? I want to be as prepared as possible. In addition, if possible, can anyone highlight differences between pursuing alumnae and undergraduate membership? I understand if these cannot be provided, and thank you all for your time!

Check your PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Interested!

Hi all! I attend a small PWI that does not permit any Greek letter orgs on campus. I would like to know if it is possible to pursue membership (as an undergrad) through a chapter on a different campus in this city? Or through any other means? I understand if this cannot be answered here, but I would really appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction as to where I can find this information.

Thanks in Advance,
Firefly
Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenaD123 View Post
I want to be apart of NPHC sooo sooo soo bad. My perception has been tainted quite a bit attending NC State University. At my school DST seems to run more like a Gang than a Sorority. They tend to gang up on individuals and come off very stuck up and above others. However, they still do many things for the community. I've been pushed most of my life towards them because my sister is a Delta, however I am not considered a legacy at the particular school, and my birthday is the exact same day as their founders day. However, on this sight they seem to be really mean and vindictive while SGR are more my style with the niceness. Plus if I was SGRho I would right a book on the history and have it published through my school since they have NO books on them alone.

Then there is SGR, which has matched up with many of my morals. Only thing about them is they have been gone for a while for hazing. I am kinda hesitant about their reputation now.

My biggest thing would be joining a sorority that puts helping children's images of themselves as a priority. It kills me knowing that children are killing themselves, starving themselves, and bleaching their skin because of the perception that big girls or dark girls are not beautiful.

With all that said, give me an honest opinion. I only have a few months to decide.
OK NPHC can smack me for this, but I just have to say, as an NPC member, that I do not appreciate anyone coming here to throw shade on ANY GLO.

wait…it's April Fool's Day. Right? Right.

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I want to be apart of NPHC sooo sooo soo bad. My perception has been tainted quite a bit attending NC State University. At my school DST seems to run more like a Gang than a Sorority. They tend to gang up on individuals and come off very stuck up and above others. However, they still do many things for the community. I've been pushed most of my life towards them because my sister is a Delta, however I am not considered a legacy at the particular school, and my birthday is the exact same day as their founders day. However, on this sight they seem to be really mean and vindictive while SGR are more my style with the niceness. Plus if I was SGRho I would right a book on the history and have it published through my school since they have NO books on them alone.

Then there is SGR, which has matched up with many of my morals. Only thing about them is they have been gone for a while for hazing. I am kinda hesitant about their reputation now.

My biggest thing would be joining a sorority that puts helping children's images of themselves as a priority. It kills me knowing that children are killing themselves, starving themselves, and bleaching their skin because of the perception that big girls or dark girls are not beautiful.

With all that said, give me an honest opinion. I only have a few months to decide.
You will not get the answers that you seek here.

ETA: AZTHETA!! I think you are right & I fell for it!

Last edited by thetalady; 04-01-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: AZTheta is smarter than I am ;)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

SITY?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
These aren't shade but real life facts. Hate it if you want to. LIKE i SAID SGR IS NICER OBVIOUSLY.
Somehow I think your problem has already been resolved.

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

You can join both DST and SGRho. That isn't shade but real life facts. Hate it if you want to OR speak with the SGRhos at NCSU and tell them that you intend to join both. Ask them if their intake schedule will coincide with the intake schedule for Delta. Then you can be with the nice women AND the gangsta women. It's good to be a multifaceted person. Good luck to you and I look forward to you being called both a SoRHOr and a Soror.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to read the book that she rights.