GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,533
2 members and 2,531 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 07-09-2005, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

the S.L.C. club...which began at My. Union in 1894, added more than 100 members.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2005, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

When Lombard College was closing and was merging with Knox, which group at Know became A Xis?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
Okay - this isn't an answer to the question, but a question I have from another thread.

In the other thread they list the groups that are called sorority and those called fraternity. In the list Alpha Xi Delta is shown as being a fraternity, changing to sorority then going back to fraternity. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by TxGirl
Okay - this isn't an answer to the question, but a question I have from another thread.

In the other thread they list the groups that are called sorority and those called fraternity. In the list Alpha Xi Delta is shown as being a fraternity, changing to sorority then going back to fraternity. Anyone know if this is true?
yes. its true ... per the 100 year history ...

"Since 1893, Alpha Xi Delta officially had been known as a sorority, which means "sisterhood". In 1913, however, and after much discussion, the title change from sorority to fraternity was made. "
Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
As many times as I've looked at that book - I've never seen that! Learn something new everyday. Does it say why they made the change - since this is one of the most asked collegiate questions (Why are we a fraternity?) I'm sure it in the Bonds, but I haven't looked at one of those in a while - I know, bad advisor, bad advisor.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TxGirl
As many times as I've looked at that book - I've never seen that! Learn something new everyday. Does it say why they made the change - since this is one of the most asked collegiate questions (Why are we a fraternity?) I'm sure it in the Bonds, but I haven't looked at one of those in a while - I know, bad advisor, bad advisor.
If you have the 100-year history book, check out page 30. It's a few paragraphs long, so I don't want to post it all here, but I'll summarize:

There was much discussion, but basically, since the use of the word "sorority" was in the minority of women's Greek organizations, they chose to go w/ the word "fraternity."
Old 07-10-2005, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXi1257
When Lombard College was closing and was merging with Knox, which group at Know became A Xis?
Zeta Pi was the local sorority at Knox that was absorbed by the Alpha chapter.

In what year did Alpha Xi Delta have to close our first chapter (not Alpha chapter, but the first chapter to ever close)?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
According to the "Every AXiD chapter ever" thread, the first closings were the Chi (reopened 1992-98, U. of Kansas) and Alpha Alpha (U. of Pittsburg) chapters, both in 1935. Since no months were given, we'll just say they both went first.

If you know the answer, go for it, but this is mainly to satisfy my own curiosity:
Why were the pearl and diamond chosen as official jewels of the Fraternity, when sapphire could have been chosen because a) blue is a Fraternity color and b) it's kind of historic, since at least one of the Founders had a sapphire set in her Quill?

Last edited by bekibug; 07-12-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bekibug
If you know the answer, go for it, but this is mainly to satisfy my own curiosity:
Why were the pearl and diamond chosen as official jewels of the Fraternity, when sapphire could have been chosen because a) blue is a Fraternity color and b) it's kind of historic, since at least one of the Founders had a sapphire set in her Quill?
I don't know, but I've always wondered this as well. I was always disappointed that we can't have sapphires or (what was the other stone, blue topaz or aquamarine or turquoise?) in our badges. I LOVE sapphires (I have them in my wedding band).
Old 07-13-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
I know! I think a Quill would be so pretty set with alternating sapphire/pearl or alternating sapphire/diamond. The all-pearl (like mine) and all-diamond (we have one in our chapter passed from president to president) are pretty, but I think sapphires would make them stunning.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I agree the sapphire would be really cute.

I have a question. Does anyone know what Alpha chapter is 000? I've always wondered this.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Any one know any more question we can ask?

Last edited by flirt5721; 07-03-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I would really love to bring this thread back to life. I know there has to be more about AXiD we can ask.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

What is the history behind some of the scholarships offered by Nationals? Like the Askey Grants and the Quackenbush Award.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quackenbush Award: Named for Elizabeth Roberts Quackenbush (Betty), who held various leadership roles in the Fraternity as well as in her community.
Betty had a strong commitment to our philosophy of providing an environment in which our collegiate women can realize
their goals and potential for the future. Therefore, the Elizabeth Roberts Quackenbush Leadership Award is presented to
graduating senior women who have made significant contributions to Alpha Xi Delta not only through chapter loyalty,
but also through exhibiting campus leadership, community service, and academic achievement.
Askey Grants:...not really sure.