GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,525
2 members and 1,523 guests
MethrenLusia, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-07-2005, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Ever Been Inactive??

Have you ever been inactive from your organization?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I am currently inactive because I didn't attend classes last semester.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
i might have to go inactive next spring because I may be going to Northern Ireland.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do you have to go inactive to go abroad?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
Why do you have to go inactive to go abroad?

So you don't have to pay all your dues. At least that's how it is in my chapter, on inactive status you only pay partial dues.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
So you don't have to pay all your dues. At least that's how it is in my chapter, on inactive status you only pay partial dues.
yep. Except in my chapter going inactive means you dont pay dues at all. It's mostly used when a girl goes abroad. My big was inactive this quarter because she was in Austrailia. It also is so that she is not counted towards quorum (sp?) or counted against our grades (because grades abroad are not added until she returns, which is typically a few weeks into the next quarter/break).
Old 01-07-2005, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
We have similar statuses:

We have girls who pay a small fraction of dues, can still wear letters, attend informal meetings and fun bonding nights, but can't participate in rituals, mixers, and typical events. Generally it's because of circumstances beyond their control: leaving the county to study abroad, getting grades up, taking care of family stuff. Girls can return unquestioned up to one year.

Innactive status basically happens when a sister transfers, drops out of school, or well... just quits. If there is no intention of returning to active status and don't request alumna status, this is what happens.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 PM

We do not have an "inactive" status, but when I withdrew from school after a car accident I also went off the chapter roll until I returned as a full-time student the following year.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, we have an inactive status. Inactive members are sisters who either go abroad, leave the school or need to take a semester off from the sorority because of work or other reasons. (Usually seniors who are doing internships in the city and need to commute go inactive.) Inactive members have to pay half of dues, they only have to come to formal meetings, can't vote, can't take a little sister, and can't be actively involved in the NM period. If an inactive member wants to go to any social events, then she has to pay full price for them.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msn4med1975 Send a message via Yahoo to msn4med1975
Umm not yet but then again I just crossed last year. Check with me when the twins (that I'm not pregnant with yet) want to go to Fisk and Howard and I'm making too much to send them on financial aid.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I was not, but my diamond sister did for a semester. Because of personal reasons it was going to be next to impossible for her to afford dues or be active in the chapter that semester. What she did have to do though was write a formal letter to the exec board and advisors, and they had to decide on it and have it approved by district advisors. It was a very hard decission for her, but it did work out better that way in the end. After, she was able to come back and be very active with the chapter.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:03 AM

Re: Ever Been Inactive??

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Have you ever been inactive from your organization?
In NPC land, the textbook answer to your question is a member is never "inactive": you are either a New Member (pledge in the olden days), a Collegian (active, I guess, though the term "active' is not "officially" not to be embraced) or an Alumna. That's it.

New Member, Collegian or Alumna.

Of course people do use the term "active" but in the higher echelons of Greekdom, it's frowned upon.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:51 AM
Unregistered-

Re: Re: Ever Been Inactive??

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
In NPC land, the textbook answer to your question is a member is never "inactive": you are either a New Member (pledge in the olden days), a Collegian (active, I guess, though the term "active' is not "officially" not to be embraced) or an Alumna. That's it.

Of course people do use the term "active" but in the higher echelons of Greekdom, it's frowned upon.
I've never heard of any sister referred to as an "active" so I'd assume that "inactive" would never be used as a noun or status of membership.

BUT -- in the ECs I've sat on, a sister wishing to take this special status was still claimed on the roster as a collegian, but she paid "inactive dues". I've never heard of any other way to describe this special status other than "inactive".

Does the NPC frown upon the term "collegian currently on inactive status"?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Ever Been Inactive??

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000

Phi Sig's Technical terms...

Chapter Status: For a sister who needs to take time off for maybe an internship, to concentrate on school final semester, etc, but will still be at school.

Limited Status: For a sister who will be abroad, leaving campus family emergency, basically not anywhere near close enough to the chapter to participate at all.

Both have decreased dues.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

i went inactive the semester after i was kicked out of school for bad grades. was one of the worst times of my life =(