GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 318,359
Threads: 114,885
Welcome to our newest member, Brireeslp
» Online Users: 429
3 members and 426 guests
llineslitting, pinkalupaquint

Old 02-03-2021, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I see what you did there, DBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I wonder how many of these “disbanders” (or DBs if you will) have reached out to their friends who are members of these groups they are advocating for and offered them membership? Or who actually HAVE friends who are members of these groups? After all the negative publicity APhi got, I would think that “we offered my black friend a bid and nationals denied it” would be an easy way to get their way with their HQ.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
...Like a bunch of spoiled children.
Veruca Salt isn't just a 90s alt rock band or a character from a book and a movie.

And don't forget to look toward whom they had, for the past four years, as a 'stellar example' of leadership of a country.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:15 PM

“Siblings”

I assume this is because of groups pledging non-binary members.

I hate to break it to them, but I’ve gotten through 35 years being called a brother of Alpha Phi Omega and I haven’t suffered any long term issues from it.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I hate to break it to them, but I’ve gotten through 35 years being called a brother of Alpha Phi Omega and I haven’t suffered any long term issues from it.
Thank you!
Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious about where the AGL movement seems to have a significant amount of traction. So far, it seems to be Northwestern, University of Richmond, University of Washington at St. Louis, American University...which others? These are all pricy private institutions, and perhaps there are a higher than average number of "stereotypical, well-off" students in GLOs...and also more intellectually-focused students focused on being change agents?

We aren't seeing AGL activity/discussion where I teach (large state school). I'm just wondering if the chapter closings associated with this movement are going to be "self-contained." What are the other campuses where closures due to AGL seem imminent or appear to be a serious concern?

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 02-04-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I'm curious where the AGL movement seems to have a significant amount of traction. So far, it seems to be Northwestern, University of Richmond, University of Washington at St. Louis, American University...which others? These are all pricy private institutions, and perhaps there are a higher than average number of "stereotypical, well-off" students in GLOs...and also more intellectually-focused students focused on being change agents?

We aren't seeing AGL activity/discussion where I teach (large state school). I'm just wondering if the chapter closings associated with this movement are going to be "self-contained." What are the other campuses where closures due to AGL seem imminent or appear to be a serious concern?
You hit it on the head. The weird thing is I haven't seen much of it on Ivy League campuses, or even more liberal schools like NYU and UC Berkeley, but the orgs there seem to be taking action at a local level and doing change that way. That's what it should be, not just stepping down en masse.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 02-04-2021, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

AGL

Add Vanderbilt to the list.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone reached out to their former sisters or brothers to try to gain understanding from them directly?
Old 02-04-2021, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
You hit it on the head. The weird thing is I haven't seen much of it on Ivy League campuses, or even more liberal schools like NYU and UC Berkeley, but the orgs there seem to be taking action at a local level and doing change that way. That's what it should be, not just stepping down en masse.
Doing it en masse brings more attention to those who seek it and is a much sexier story for the media. It makes it appear that important things are happening.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Has anyone reached out to their former sisters or brothers to try to gain understanding from them directly?
I know we did with our Northwestern chapter. There was a sincere effort made to dialogue and work together for change. The concerns weren't chapter-specific.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Even within Alpha Phi Omega it gets *complicated*.

For starters, APO Philippines uses Brothers for all male members and sisters for all female members, and a campus will actually have a fraternity chapter and a sorority chapter (or conceivably only one, in which case only members of only that gender can join at that school) (The history there is that all of the Little Sister groups were unified as Alpha Phi Sigma nationally, then as Alpha Phi Omega Auxiliary Sorority and *then* true equality.

In APO-USA, the general reason for the global use of the term brother is that the women that were joining chapters underground for equality wanted to be called brother since the "sisters" that other chapters had were little sisters and thus treated unequally. However I have run into a few chapters (Georgetown University in Washington DC springs to mind) where a good number of the women have at various times wanted to use the term sister, however the term sister has no official meaning in APO-USA.

For non-binary members, given the general usage of brothers in APO-USA, I don't expect a problem there with the terms brothers. (I have *no* idea what APO-Philippines would do)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
It happened in our chapter in Yale, they disbanded by wanting to go co-ed.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/...nals-go-co-ed/
Old 02-05-2021, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Veruca Salt isn't just a 90s alt rock band or a character from a book and a movie.

And don't forget to look toward whom they had, for the past four years, as a 'stellar example' of leadership of a country.

Not to mention the parents who raised them for 18.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If after everything the sororities at Harvard and Yale have gone through to simply exist, it would be ironic AF if they were to bail now.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AGL is for people with time on their hands. Ivy (and similar school) students accomplish higher purposes.