GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,416
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ElvaLauren
» Online Users: 655
2 members and 653 guests
Ilene76V74, LynCheesem

Old 01-17-2003, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question House Meals

I'm interested in finding out what's good (great?) and bad (awful?) about the daily meals in Houses throughout the country. If you've got, or had, a particularly good house cook, or have horror stories to tell about your meals, let me know...

Last edited by William2003; 01-17-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2003, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
We have a wonderful cook. She usually quits about once a year during rush because the kitchen doesn't get cleaned to her satisfaction, but this year she hasn't We get all sorts of good stuff (stuffed peppers, fabulous soups, etc) but we also get chef boyardee ravioli, and other not so nice things like these tacos that come in bags with the brand name Jose Ole. not so appetizing. however, she makes up for it with the most fabulous deserts ever created, and we wouldn't trade her for anything, especially since she considers up "her girls".
Old 01-17-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
One of the bad stories I've heard is that one of the phi sig cooks would pretty much make them pick up the tab for her own food also. They caught her taking bags of food out to her car. Around mid-semester their entire food budget was used up...
Old 01-17-2003, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aedea42
our house doesn't have a cook... in fact I don't think any of the houses on our campus have cooks... almost all of the houses get catered meals from a local gorcery store called Hyvee... it's not that bad, but it's not exceptional....
Old 01-17-2003, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

our food is the worst thing EVER. and our cook is mean
Old 01-18-2003, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I lived with another chapter last semester and propably the best thing about meals was that there was a meat and a vegetarian option. Not only was it beneficial to the girls that didn't eat meat, but it was nice because it always offered a second option. However, sometimes both choices were gross and it was a take out kind of night! They also bought a big salad bar, so that was always an option, too.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
We don’t have a house cook but I can cook a mean box of macaroni and cheese. It’s good for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie, that's really cool that the house had a vegetarian option every day. I've often wondered what vegetarians who live in eat at some houses. Are there usually options? Are there any vegetarians who live in the house here -- and if so, what do you eat?
Old 01-18-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, JerzeeBoy26... tell me more about your mean cook...
Old 01-18-2003, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

No Greek meal plans here. In the 1950s, our administration encouraged Greeks to move out of their off-campus houses into the Fraternity Quadrangle, which was built especially for them (during the war, the U. bought the houses from the national organizations because they were in such bad shape), and with living in the Quadrangle came private dining halls in the cafeteria (also built for the Quadrangle). The private dining halls were phased out in the early 1980s, when it stopped being cool to be in a fraternity.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Leslie, that's really cool that the house had a vegetarian option every day. I've often wondered what vegetarians who live in eat at some houses. Are there usually options?
Although I only lived there for a semester, I'm pretty sure that this is the first year that they implimented the vegetarian option. No clue what other houses do though.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

We have the best cook ever, and she's the nicest, sweetest person I've ever met.

Just b/c of her budget she has to use a lot of processed stuff and food service things (like pasta sauce). But she also does a lot just made from scratch. Her prime rib is some of the best I've ever had. Once a semester she makes home made runzas (it's a Nebraska thing...runzas are little pouches filled with ground beef, cabbage, onions, spices and sometimes cheese). I used to never like runzas but after trying Faith's I've become hooked. They are absolutely phenomenal.

I love the fact that I can get hungery at 330 in the afternoon and there are cookies or brownies or rice krispie treats out...it's like being in grade school again.

Our house used to have a bad cook before I got there. When the current seniors were freshmen they had this woman who only put out lunch meat and bread for lunch and then pretty much fried everything else...I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1840
our cook is fantastic, and he's not only our cook, but is a house dad and brother also
Old 01-21-2003, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

My freshman year our cook was great, but he has slowly gone downhill. Our bragging right is that he used to own/head chef at his restaurant (a fancy one) in town, so he actually does know how to cook. We recently had a big deal about our house providing a vegetarian option, and for the most part, it has gone pretty well (I am one of the vegetarians). We almost always have a substitute, and sometimes that's better than the other food that's put out!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

We had this trashy woman who used to smoke pot in the kitchen when we were all at class! And she used so much butter and oil! Someone saw her making grilled cheese and she was literally putting 3 Tablespoons of butter on each slice of bread, and the person said, "Jane! That's an awful lot of butter!" to which she replied, "Grilled cheese ain't grilled cheese without lots of butter!"

And she would get mad at us because we asked for lower fat, helathy items but then wanted dessert. We tried to explain that if we ate pretty healthy, it was ok to have dessert once in a while. But if we ate fat laden crap all day and THEN dessert it would be a problem. She just said we were all too skinny and concerned with our weight! She was as big as a house needless to say! But we had a nice salad bar every lunch and dinner, and we had a Vegan who could always find something to eat.

A classic Jane dinner consisted of fried rice - chicken or veggie. And some eggrolls. Um, fried rice is NOT a main course in my book! She did make a great meatloaf and mashed potatoes, though!!!