GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,627
2 members and 1,625 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 04-22-2002, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Wedding Traditions?

NOT that I'm getting married anytime soon (I have one year left as an active to have a candlelight, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen... ) but I was wondering if there are any traditions done at Kappa weddings? One of our alums sent us some wedding pictures, and one of the flowers she had worked into her wedding was the iris, it was her husband's boutinnere, and I thought that was a really cute touch. So anything else?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa wedding stuff

I just got married in November of 2001, and I searched high and low for some KKG wedding traditions!

I didn't come up with much, so I made some of my own!!!

Some of you GCers know that I "collect" or "rescue" KKG badges off of ebay alot, and I happen to have an 1895 badge from the Beta Alpha chapter (now silent) at the U. of Pennsylvania.

I wore that 1895 badge on my bouquet (it was one of those with the ribbon-wrapped stems) as my something old, and the badge I was initiated in (which is a sapphire and diamond badge) as my something blue.

I did not carry irises in my bouquet, as it would have messed up the color scheme (heavens, no!), so I had special pin-on corsages made for all of my KKG guests (about 8 in all) for my Kappa sisters who were also wedding guests to wear.

My husband (who is Theta Chi) did the same--he didn't wear a red carnation as his corsage (I don't like carnations, and red would have not gone with our scheme), so his TChi brothers who were at the wedding all got special red carnation boutenniers instead. Also, my husband wore his Theta Chi badge inside his jacket.

Also, this isn't a KKG tradition, but at the reception the Theta Chis who were there sang me "Sweet Little Girl of Theta Chi," which they had pre-requested the band to play...it was so sweet.

I've only been to one KKG wedding, and that was right out of college, so almost my whole pledge class went, and the bride had marked off 3 pews for us all to sit in, and the aisle markers on those pews were blue irises, while the rest of the aisle markers were white roses. (blue and white were her colors for the wedding). The pews were "reserved" or roped-off with blue ribbon, so it was saved just for Kappas!

I really liked this idea at the time, but later I realized it kind of alienates the other people at the wedding who aren't Kappas...eek!

So I didn't want to alienate anyone. In my bridal party, I had 1 Kappa (besides me), 1 AXiD, 1 member of a local sorority, and 3 independents. My husband had 2 Theta Chis (besides himself), 1 Sigma Nu, and 3 independents.

Anyone else ever seen any neat Kappa (or other sorority or fraternity) wedding traditions? I would love to hear them...even though it's already all over for me!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not getting married anytime soon, either, but I'm just interested in Greek wedding traditions. The irises in the bouquet is cute...but I don't think wine carnations would work. Would be cute for the Pi Phis in attendance to wear, though.

Before I even rushed I always thought it was so cute and special to have your sisters in the bridal party. That's one of the things I look forward to in life and can't wait to do it for my sisters and have them do for me.

Last edited by ROWDYsister; 06-19-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, it's a WINE carnation, ROWDYsister!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You're right, sorry. I was just thinking about red carnations after reading the last post.