GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,228
3 members and 1,225 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 10-19-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Technically true, but they don't care if KBG has rules against it, since they'd already be breaking them. And unless KBG has an agreement with the NPC, their KBG membership does not invalidate their joining of the NPC.

It's not the same as one member leaving, because KBG doesn't want to lose their chapter. Where as a whole chapter affiliates like a local does individuals would have to rush/ form an interest group/ etc. KBG should act to disband them before this happens (if there are no other options) to prevent the chapter from being absorbed as a KBG chapter.
That's exactly what I'm saying. If every one of those girls wanted to disaffiliate and re-rush or create an NPC interest group - fine. But they shouldn't be given the power to arbitrarily close the KBG chapter without KBG HQ's consent, which is what they're trying to do.

IMO, it sounds like they're trying to stay a "chapter" so the school doesn't prevent them from doing things while they wait to get picked up by an NPC. Shady, shady, shady.

Quote:
The difference w/ ASA and the then NPC members it that there was an agreement between the AES and the NPC. Each agreed to release the chapters it had at the others' schools, but if that ASA chapter had gone behind HQs back and approached XYZ w/o agreements in place, they could have been absorbed w/o ASA's permission.
The situation I was referencing had nothing to do with the AES/NPC agreements. This was many years before the AES even existed. AFAIK, there were no chapter releases or mergers of any kind when the AES groups initially joined NPC. Some chapters probably died out because of cross membership, but that's completely different.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I was thinking more of the agreements before the merger where they each agreed to leave the others' schools alone.

I get what you're saying about the chapters. And KBG needs to act before they're absorbed to prevent them from being absorbed as a chapter.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of the agreements before the merger where they each agreed to leave the others' schools alone.
Oh, OK. That didn't always work though.

These are the times when I wish our 50 & 60 year members would fire up their computers and chime in.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh, OK. That didn't always work though.

These are the times when I wish our 50 & 60 year members would fire up their computers and chime in.
Nooo then us young'uns get the smack down
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
Quote:
To be quite blunt, it's not NPC's fault that this particular chapter is being a bunch of disloyal asshats. It could be that they are also playing the NPCs they are looking at and not telling them the whole story (i.e. saying they are already disaffiliated). If I was KBG (which I'm not, but that never stopped me from giving advice before) I would send a letter to all 26 NPCs letting them know exactly what is up and the caliber of women who would be joining their organization.
Oh, trust me, that is on the agenda!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IMO, it sounds like they're trying to stay a "chapter" so the school doesn't prevent them from doing things while they wait to get picked up by an NPC. Shady, shady, shady.
You've got it right on the money. I'm feeling more and more that these girls don't deserve to be KBG anyway. It's rediculous. Doesn't a person pledge a sorority because they WANT to wear those letters and be a part of that group?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, back to the original point I was trying to make, apparently KBG had agreements with NPC in the past in that they would assist us in our growth and moving toward becoming a NPC sorority (probably somewhere between 5 to 8 years ago), thus we were on friendly terms with NPC. Now whether or not the current admin is aware of this I don't know. This is info I gained from speaking with past Nat'l officers of ours. This is why we are upset with NPC. We are taking steps to make them aware of just what is going on though and hoping once they hear the side of the story they AREN'T getting from the chapter, things might change a bit. Cross your fingers!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, good luck then
Old 10-28-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

BootyKBG,

I think there's another question here that we're overlooking: what is motivating this chapter to ditch their commitments to KBG and seek affiliation with an NPC sorority instead? What are they seeking from another sorority that they are not getting from the KBG sisterhood?

As a member of a relatively small GLO myself, I know the loss of each chapter leaves a HUGE hole. With that in mind and before you take any kind of action that you can't undo, I suggest you really examine this question with your leaders and with the members of the chapter that's at the center of this controversy. Work together to find a way to resolve whatever is causing the problem and bring this chapter back to their KBG roots.

When you have exhausted every chance of reconciliation, then you need to take action. Reach out individually to each member of that chapter to determine where she stands on the issue. Don't assume they are all standing together on this just because their leaders are speaking with one voice. You may find that half of them are reluctant to leave KGB but have been persuaded to go along with this scheme by their leaders. A personal contact with National may revive their commitment to KGB and turn things around dramatically. You may wind up saving the chapter this way, even if you wind up losing the (former) chapter leaders in the process.

If you have to formally cut the ties with that chapter altogether, alert their campus that they are no longer affiliated with KBG, and get on with serving the needs of the other KBG sisters.

Best of luck! I do not envy you this situation....
Old 11-09-2006, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the thoughts, OPhiAGinger. We have been trying to figure out what is causing the whole situation, and their story is that they are not getting support from Nationals (even though our National Chair herself went down to help work things out with pan-hell and recruitment) and as a non-NPC sorority they can't make their numbers on campus. (Like it DOESN'T have to do with them being shady little....grr....) Anyway, they tell different stories to everyone....they told us that the various campus orgs were pushing them to become NPC (not the case when we talked to them) and told NPC we had basically abandoned them. They told the other chapters their alumnae support their decision, but the alumnae are e-mailing me in tears or finding out through other sources. We're currently doing exactly what you had suggested and contacting EVERY member of the chapter about the decision they are making. We've even had a meeting with NPC National Expansion chair (which really didn't help, but now they know our perspective at least, and we know what they've been told.) I don't blame NPC, but I do have a problem with the way their campus NPC handled the situation acting like the chapter was a local. Unfortunately I know it is the girls--particularly the chapters e-board--to blame. Hopefully we will get some kind of response from members not wanting to dissaffiliate. Cross your fingers!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, lord, I understand why you're not revealing which chapter it is, but I really *hope* it's not your Loyola Chapter. My mom was a member in the early 60s, and I know it would greatly upset her if it turned out to be hers. Good luck sorting this mess out.