GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,399
4 members and 1,395 guests
acg233, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing a fraternity on probation

what do you guys feel about rushing a fraternity thats on a probationary semester? Do you think it will hinder the experience? Basically the chapter cant have any events at all (formals, mixers etc) and no activities at the house. Maybe this will give the pledge class a deeper bond? What you guys think?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

For both questions (will it hinder the experience and/or form a deeper pledge class bond), I think it depends on what activities are still allowed.

I've know chapters that were in a similar situation where social events - as a chapter - were not allowed. About the only thing they could do - as a chapter - was hang out at the house. However, they were allowed to participate in - on a limited scale - some philanthropy events. Mainly events that were open to anyone on campus as it were. Also, individual members could still attend their girlfriend's (friend's) formal and attend date night functions at her sorority. And they were able to go to ball games together just not as a chapter. But since it was only for one semester, it really did not seem to affect them much at all. Heck, the next semester, they were back in the social thick of things.

As such, I would suggest asking the brothers directly what they intend to do *social wise* to pass the probationary period. If it seems satisfactory to you, then you may want to consider pledging them. If not, you may look at other fraternities or even wait a semester until they are off probation.

Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 PM

There's no guarantee that some other group won't be on probation after you join. Just join which ever you like regardless of probationary status.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosman View Post
what do you guys feel about rushing a fraternity thats on a probationary semester? Do you think it will hinder the experience? Basically the chapter cant have any events at all (formals, mixers etc) and no activities at the house. Maybe this will give the pledge class a deeper bond? What you guys think?

I guess it depends on what you are talking about and what you are looking for in a GLO.

If it is just parties, then that may be the wrong way to go. If you are talking about a learning experience then there is a difference. Many times when they come back if they have learned, then they are that much better.

Agree, the best of luck. Fraternalism is not for just 4 -5 years, but for life.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM
GreekChat Member

cool thanks for the tips guys...i'll just go with my gut on this
Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Great advice!

If they are continually in trouble, I would avoid them big time. But if they have a good track record, then go for it. Many times chapters get int some kind of problem in todays world no matter what they try to do for the good.

That should be your key whether to affiliate with them or not.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-29-2007, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yo, Earp I agree with what you posted. There are also two things that chaosman should consider:

1. Do I connect with the guys in the fraternity, and feel that I will be able to bond with them? If you do, it is not the actives you have a problem with, it is the status of the fraternity.

2. Am I going to join so I can participate in Greek events, pursue brotherhood within the chapter, or just to party? If you don't care about brotherhood then I suggest you join a fraternity that is involved in what you are searching for.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to pursue.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez View Post
Yo, Earp I agree with what you posted. There are also two things that chaosman should consider:

1. Do I connect with the guys in the fraternity, and feel that I will be able to bond with them? If you do, it is not the actives you have a problem with, it is the status of the fraternity.

2. Am I going to join so I can participate in Greek events, pursue brotherhood within the chapter, or just to party? If you don't care about brotherhood then I suggest you join a fraternity that is involved in what you are searching for.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to pursue.

Good point! If no bonding then there is nothing! Right! It doesn't matter which Greek Letter Organization it is, but the bonding.

Oh, I guess I should also throw in the after graduation life. Do you want to still be a part of that Organization?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

just do what feels right but be wary of what you're getting yourself into.

and about mixers/exchanges/rush events/pledging, even if a chapter is on probation. theres always a way around everything. whether they decide to do it underground or whatnot.