GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,218
1 members and 1,217 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

COVID-19 vaccine

Now that the vaccine is being administered, your thoughts on the vaccine? Do you plan on receiving the vaccine? Do you have any concerns?

Yesterday I received my first of two Moderna vaccines. Today I have pain in my arm (7/10 on pain scale). I have fatigue, and I've been napping all day. Finally, I have stiffness in my legs. No fever, headache or loss of appetite.

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 01-13-2021 at 10:14 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m in Indiana. I scheduled my first one today for Jan. 28. I was on a “countdown” for about 40 minutes on my phone till it was my turn to register for a time. I’m so grateful...one benefit of growing old.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

I was put on 2 lists--1 for teachers and 1 for golden oldies and I'm supposed to go get the first one I'm called for.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I live in Alabama and we have received very few doses of the vaccine and have administered even less. It's a real problem vis a vis the number who qualify under 1a. I'll be 75 on the 25th, have 2 qualifying medical conditions and I can't even get an appointment. Florida will vaccinate out of staters so am starting today to try to find a place in the Panhandle.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I live in Alabama and we have received very few doses of the vaccine and have administered even less. It's a real problem vis a vis the number who qualify under 1a. I'll be 75 on the 25th, have 2 qualifying medical conditions and I can't even get an appointment. Florida will vaccinate out of staters so am starting today to try to find a place in the Panhandle.
The county health departments in Florida all have different procedures so you may want to call the county you're interested in. Jefferson County(Monticello) was very easy for my husband and myself.
Publix pharmacies in the western Panhandle have a phone registration system.
Louisiana has pharmacies giving the covid 19 vaccine.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Alum View Post
The county health departments in Florida all have different procedures so you may want to call the county you're interested in. Jefferson County(Monticello) was very easy for my husband and myself.
Publix pharmacies in the western Panhandle have a phone registration system.
Louisiana has pharmacies giving the covid 19 vaccine.
Florida health.gov has a list of covid19 vaccination sites with information for sites,registration,etc.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 AM

My BFF works in an assisted living home and just got part 1. She said her arm hurt for 24 hours afterward but might have been as much the non-skill of the shot giver as the shot itself. She’s also in a less populated county. It probably won’t trickle down to me till April or May, if then.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Floridahealth.gov
Old 01-14-2021, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

My husband and I are public school employees in Georgia (HS teacher, school librarian) and we are both looking forward to getting the vaccine. However, now that the state has opened up the vaccine to people 65+, we may be pushed down the list. My district sent out a survey to gauge interest amongst employees, but who knows when we will here more. A colleague's wife is set to get her 2nd dose soon and has heard from other nurses/folks in her practice that the reaction to the 2nd dose is stronger, like what the OP noted.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in Ohio. My parents (age 80+ in non-congregate settings) are eligible next week. Mom is on the fence because she claims to react to everything. She is getting it whether she likes it or not. Dad is ready.

I will take it as soon as I am able. It will be a few months before I'm eligible due to my age, being retired and not high risk. Although there are so many anti-vaxxers that I might be able to get it sooner by default.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
My husband and I are public school employees in Georgia (HS teacher, school librarian) and we are both looking forward to getting the vaccine. However, now that the state has opened up the vaccine to people 65+, we may be pushed down the list. My district sent out a survey to gauge interest amongst employees, but who knows when we will here more. A colleague's wife is set to get her 2nd dose soon and has heard from other nurses/folks in her practice that the reaction to the 2nd dose is stronger, like what the OP noted.
My niece is a HS teacher in Tennessee and just got her notification to get her vax.
In Ohio, HS teachers will begin eligibility next week with age 80+. Thankfully, we are prioritizing the teachers right now but many are refusing to get the vax.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
My parents are 88 and 86, one a cancer survivor and one with an underlying heart condition, and because they are not in a congregate setting, they are part of 1B.
1B starts 1/18 in our state, with age 80+. One week later, 75-79 will be eligible.
I really with there had been a national plan instead of a disjointed state-by-state plan. But then we would get into a political discussion.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Many have reported that their arms were very sore. I just hope that's from the person giving the shot doing it assembly line style.
I can still remember as a little girl lining up (LONG line) to get the polio shot. Kids crying, screaming, etc. and the nurses were public health nurses, many of whom had been WWII Army nurses. I started to cry and the battle ax who gave me mine just looked at me with one of those "don't start with me kid" looks. My arm hurt for days. That was 65 years ago and it's burned into my brain! ��
Old 01-14-2021, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 Update: Moderna vaccine

My arm is still sore, about a 3/10 on the pain scale. At least I can put my coat on today without much pain. I feel less fatigued today than yesterday but I still have slight stiffness in my legs. Hoping by Saturday to be back to 100% normal.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Many have reported that their arms were very sore. I just hope that's from the person giving the shot doing it assembly line style.
I can still remember as a little girl lining up (LONG line) to get the polio shot. Kids crying, screaming, etc. and the nurses were public health nurses, many of whom had been WWII Army nurses. I started to cry and the battle ax who gave me mine just looked at me with one of those "don't start with me kid" looks. My arm hurt for days. That was 65 years ago and it's burned into my brain! ��
My dad told me that he and my mom had to stand in line at our neighborhood high school, in the rain, to receive the polio vaccine on a sugar cube. The line was a couple blocks long.