GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,287
1 members and 1,286 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM

12 Organizations at Nevada-Reno Reject University Recognition Agreement

https://thisisreno.com/2019/01/frate...th-university/

12 organizations at the University of Nevada-Reno - including all current NPC groups on campus- have rejected to sign the university recognition agreement.

One of the issues is centered around "the University’s mandate to report individual conduct concerns currently mediated through peer-to-peer chapter processes."

The National Panhellenic Council issued a statement including the following:
"With negotiations still outstanding on a few areas of concern, the six NPC member organizations requested an extension to the Agreement deadline in hopes of continuing discussions with the University. Unfortunately, those requests were denied. So, the sororities declined to sign the proposed Relationship Agreement for 2019. The University then declared them to be unrecognized student organizations, effective immediately."

The university has issued a statement that includes the following:
"As of today, a total of 12 fraternity and sorority life organizations have chosen not to sign the agreement and are unrecognized by the University, meaning they are no longer eligible for the same opportunities or resources that the campus provides to recognized organizations. Additionally, these fraternities and sororities are not obligated to follow University of Nevada, Reno policies and regulations."

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Just finished reading this story. It includes no interviews, just the official statements.
I'd love to know more.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:03 PM

So what does this mean in English?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
So what does this mean in English?
All the groups who have refused to sign the recognition agreement are no longer recognized by the campus. They have all already been removed from UNR's Greek Life website.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

So the next #1 party school in the United States will be the University of Nevado-Reno.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-24-2019, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

This university has been trying to insert itself in private chapter business for some time.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
All the groups who have refused to sign the recognition agreement are no longer recognized by the campus. They have all already been removed from UNR's Greek Life website.
Yes, that part I got. My question was more what they are doing that goes above and beyond the standard university nebbiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
This university has been trying to insert itself in private chapter business for some time.
Like trying to tell them what members to terminate or things like that?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the link to the NPC press release: https://www.npcwomen.org/2019/01/23/...f-nevada-reno/

Quote:
National Panhellenic Conference Statement Regarding Action Taken by Member Organizations at University of Nevada, Reno

January 23, 2019

Press Release

INDIANAPOLIS — For the last six months, the six National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) member organizations with chapters represented at the University of Nevada, Reno have been in communication with the University’s Fraternity and Sorority Life Office regarding its proposed Relationship Agreement for Recognition in 2019. These agreements are commonly subject to negotiation, and our members had been working to arrive at an agreement for 2019 that could meet the needs of both the University and the sorority community.

With negotiations still outstanding on a few areas of concern, the six NPC member organizations requested an extension to the Agreement deadline in hopes of continuing discussions with the University. Unfortunately, those requests were denied. So, the sororities declined to sign the proposed Relationship Agreement for 2019. The University then declared them to be unrecognized student organizations, effective immediately.

NPC member organizations always strive to be partners to the academic institutions that are the anchors of their chapters and their members’ postsecondary experiences. In particular, NPC has previously had strong relationships with UN-Reno. The Panhellenic community has a long history (established in 1913) and continues to grow (adding two new or re-established chapters in the past five years), with many of its alumnae remaining actively involved. In response to the University’s decision to forgo negotiations toward a mutually acceptable agreement, NPC and the inter/national organizations with collegiate chapters on the campus will begin work with the six collegiate chapters to form an independent College Panhellenic Association, appoint an advisor and determine the resources needed to ensure the sorority community continues to thrive in Reno.

However, NPC and its member organizations remain hopeful that the University will re-open discussions. Our desire is to address two key concerns:
  • A requirement by the University that sorority chapters provide comprehensive reports on their internal conduct investigations. As independent, private organizations, NPC organizations reserve the right to set the standards governing the conduct and discipline of their members and chapters. This requirement includes a mandate for organizations to present to the University the names of members who might have been a victim of sexual assault. NPC is unaware of any other university in the country that requires this.
  • A restriction that prevents recognized student organizations from associating with any unrecognized student group, including those who have chosen not to seek University recognition. This is an unnecessarily punitive measure with Constitutional implications. The University has acknowledged this is a requirement for students and organizations to waive First Amendment rights.

While the organizations are prepared to form an independent association, they also stand ready and willing to partner with the UN-Reno administration and urge them to reconsider their position on these issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, that part I got. My question was more what they are doing that goes above and beyond the standard university nebbiness.

Like trying to tell them what members to terminate or things like that?
Seems that that they want to know the details of any "standards" type of business within the chapter, i.e. What concerns are being reported to Standards? Who is facing any sort of disciplinary action? For what?
Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I got this today as a member of an alumni chapter here in Nevada. Even though I have no connection to UNR, they wanted to make sure we were all informed and ready to support the women in the collegiate chapter in any way. It seems like NPC sincerely hopes it can still negotiate with the university, but right now the situation seems bleak.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Couldn't a fraternity all join a sanctioned student organization, take it over by voting their brothers into all the officer positions, and then participate in the homecoming float? Just curious. It seems like a lot of work, but it would be funny to see.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 02-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

--or just create a Greek Life interest group "open to all students" and participate by proxy. Most schools have pretty inclusive/liberal concepts about what student organizations are.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a reason for all this? Are there issues in the campus, or are they just being "proactive?" (This isn't the way to go about it, UNR...)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
So the next #1 party school in the United States will be the University of Nevado-Reno.
Bingo!

Seriously, though, things are getting absurd. I’m sick of this and glad they’re not agreeing to it.

Quote:
This requirement includes a mandate for organizations to present to the University the names of members who might have been a victim of sexual assault. NPC is unaware of any other university in the country that requires this.

Last edited by APhi2KD; 02-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m kind of appalled that the names of victims of sexual assault would be required to be given to the University. How on earth is that legal? It’s certainly not ethical.