GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,562
2 members and 1,560 guests
*winter*, znathanhulzeo24

Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

KU Scandal

Just curious about what ya'll think about the Kappa Alpha Theta Scandal at KU? What kind of punishment do you think the sorority/the girl should recieve? If you don't know search #ShelbyGoLightly on twitter and that should explain most of the situation.. or search Kappa Alpha Theta KU on facebook, i'm sure people have posted on their.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Kappa Alpha Theta or KU at all, just heard this news from a friend and are curious as to what ya'll think. Not sure if it will make national news or not.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A Statement From Kappa Alpha Theta:

As the first Greek-letter fraternity known among women, Kappa Alpha Theta has a nearly 150-year history of leading the way for women’s groups and women in higher education. As an organization created and led by women, for women, we are adamantly opposed to violence against women.

Recent activity by online association Anonymous seeks to make a connection between the Kappa Chapter at the University of Kansas, Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity, and a 2012 sexual assault case in Maryville, Missouri. This activity was apparently prompted by an inappropriate social media post made by a Kappa Chapter member before she joined Kappa Alpha Theta.

Pleased be assured that Kappa Alpha Theta is not ignoring this situation; the Kappa Chapter has been and will continue working closely with Fraternity officers and chapter advisors.
from their page.

Why would the sorority be punished? Because they pledged a woman who posted something online that was despicable? I honestly see little connection between the wonderful organization that Theta is and one member posting something before she had even joined. It seems unnecessary and a stretch. I also do not think it is national news worthy. People post stupid things all the time. many people post victim blaming on twitter and facebook and yet they are seen as individuals. Perhaps Theta will see this as a teaching moment where they can educate their members and possibly the community to the struggles that sexual assault victims face.

As for the woman in question: I (would really like to) imagine that she simply was raised where victim blaming is the norm and has seen little of victim support. I am glad that she has not been in such an awful situation so that she does not know better. I wish more women (and men) were so lucky.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

While I don't condone what this girl posted on her twitter feed, the bullying going on directed at her is ridiculous. She is not responsible for the actions of her boyfriend even if she is dumb enough to "stand by her man" after perpetrating such a horror. This doesn't educate her, and instead is mostly insulting and over the top. The blame should rest solely on the shoulders of the rapist. Unfortunately, family and friends of the perpetrators often are blinded by their love of these monsters and say and do terrible things out of loyalty to them. Attacking to family and friends doesn't help, though.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

jek1234,

While you profess to have no motivation other than curiosity in posting what you posted, I doubt your intentions. I feel you have an ax to grind.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
jek1234,

While you profess to have no motivation other than curiosity in posting what you posted, I doubt your intentions. I feel you have an ax to grind.
Yes, jerk1234 joining and immediately posting this is . . . not curiosity.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
jerk1234
That's what it reads like.

Whatever jek1234's intentions, two GCers gave serious replies before jek1234 was challenged. Oh well.