GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,364
2 members and 2,362 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG......

The edit button has become my new best friend
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The AOII badge is beautiful! That has to be the most gorgeous chasing I've ever seen.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree! Absolutely stunning - it does look like leaves or petals under the ruby!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I received a beautiful "new" badge in the mail today from that auction site, but I can't get it to show up well in pictures.

I know someone mentioned using the close-up (flower) setting, but I'm not doing it correctly.

Can someone share suggestions? It's either too shiny or blurry whenever I try.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixell View Post
I received a beautiful "new" badge in the mail today from that auction site, but I can't get it to show up well in pictures.

I know someone mentioned using the close-up (flower) setting, but I'm not doing it correctly.

Can someone share suggestions? It's either too shiny or blurry whenever I try.
The best luck I've had was, honestly, at work... fluorescent lights and all. I put my badge on a piece of white paper to get a good background, set my camera to the ISO setting (don't ask me what it does or what it stands for or anything--I just know it works best), and get it ready to take the picture. Used my non-camera-holding hand to block the glare from the lights, and *snap!* Nice picture. On my camera (a nice little Sony CyberShot), I can change the exposure on the ISO setting to get either darker or lighter photos... it's good to play with it to see what happens.

Here's what I got... didn't really block the glare on this one, but it was the picture I liked best.

Macon Magnolias
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Another tip is to play with distance. If I try to get so close I can only see one badge, it's blurry- but if I pull back a bit so I can see 4 badges it becomes much clearer. Also play with the flash- try repressing it a few times and see what happens. If you have a tripod, usually no flash w/ tripod works really well to avoid the glare but keep it crisp.

And I do have pictures to share... but am going through some (good!) changes right now so I've been otherwise occupied. But I will come back, I promise!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Another tip is to play with distance. If I try to get so close I can only see one badge, it's blurry- but if I pull back a bit so I can see 4 badges it becomes much clearer. Also play with the flash- try repressing it a few times and see what happens. If you have a tripod, usually no flash w/ tripod works really well to avoid the glare but keep it crisp.

And I do have pictures to share... but am going through some (good!) changes right now so I've been otherwise occupied. But I will come back, I promise!
This is good advice. You can use post processing on your computer to zoom in to show detail.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the advice!

I finally got a decent picture. The badge on the left is my badge from 2004. The badge on the right is from 1929. They are very similar, but in person the differences really stand out.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The older badge is much more detailed and delicate.Both are beauties!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The patina on the older badge is lovely. I also like the color of the gold better. Is your badge real gold or goldfill?

AOII

Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
The patina on the older badge is lovely. I also like the color of the gold better. Is your badge real gold or goldfill?
I don't remember what it was called, I think they had a branded name for it rather than goldfill. Good eye -- my badge is the very basic model. I don't remember us actually filling out an order form, I'm pretty sure my pledge class (and whole chapter actually) gets the same badge.

If it had been up to me, I think I would have gotten the flush version of the flame like my "rescued" badge.

One thing that stands out to me between the badges is how very little they have changed. The older one has a more prominent lamp which I like, but it's very similar.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixell View Post
I don't remember what it was called, I think they had a branded name for it rather than goldfill. Good eye -- my badge is the very basic model. I don't remember us actually filling out an order form, I'm pretty sure my pledge class (and whole chapter actually) gets the same badge.

If it had been up to me, I think I would have gotten the flush version of the flame like my "rescued" badge.

One thing that stands out to me between the badges is how very little they have changed. The older one has a more prominent lamp which I like, but it's very similar.
I only recently learned the difference when I bought a goldfill (balclad or whatever they want to call it ) AOII badge on eBay. Now I can spot them pretty easily. They look nice, but next to a real gold badge there are telltale signs.

AOII

Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I only recently learned the difference when I bought a goldfill (balclad or whatever they want to call it ) AOII badge on eBay. Now I can spot them pretty easily. They look nice, but next to a real gold badge there are telltale signs.
I'm pretty sure they called it balclad. All I remembered was that our group got the cheap ones.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

I love comparing the Delta Zeta pins! I like the flush flame, too.

On another note, is anyone else frustrated with that auction site making the pictures unusable? I just won a pin that came today, and yes, ma'am! It is as unusual as I thought! The pin itself isn't very unique, but take a look at the guard. Notice that the pearls are channel set on it! Never, ever have I seen channel settings on ANY of the pearled ADPi pins! This may not sound like much, but again, I have never seen this. Maybe somebody's going to prove me wrong, but until then, I'm stunned!

Also, it's from my own chapter, and I actually met the woman whose pin it was, even though she was initiated in 1922! How special is that?

And it's in my own grimy little paws!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Love the Phi Mu blinged out badge! GORGEOUS!

I've always loved Delta Zeta's badge too! I'm in badge heaven right now!

I was able to save a badge turned into a charm. An AOII friend of mine told me about an older AOII alumna who was looking to "sell" her badge. I contacted the AOII alumna. So I was able to buy this beauty without that "website" and for a very good price. It is missing a pearl and it is attached to a charm. I have already contacted HJGreek and they will repair and clean it. (They have worked on my great grandmother's badge before and did a great job so I've had a good experience with them in the past.) The badge is from 1958 at Omicron chapter at UTKnoxville. It has rubies in the Pi points, pearls on Alpha and Omicron, and it is chased in the background. So, I'll post a new pic once it is cleaned and repaired. Here are 2 BEFORE pictures. I'm so excited about this save!