GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,924
2 members and 1,922 guests
oncegreek, TLLK

Old 08-17-2003, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Eeek and yeah!

Hey! I'm so glad this website is in existance! Is there anybody out there who attends UW-Madison? I'm going to be rushing this fall and I was wondering if I could maybe feel out how receptive the sororities are to upperclass(wo)men as in juniors. I decided to take the plunge this year and do rush. I have a need to meet and make some new girl friends! So I'm as nervous as I am excited...any ideas/tips/etc.....Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2003, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

talk to Sugar and Spice I believe she is a Madison girl !!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad there's a Madison girl on this board!

Glitter is right -- I go to the UW. I rushed last year as a sophomore transfer student, so I know a little bit about the chances of upperclassmen getting bids.

The good news is that it's definitely not impossible to get a bid as a junior. There were a couple of girls in my pledge class who were juniors, and I know other sororities took them too. The bad news is that being a junior does hurt your chances, to some extent, and that it's getting harder to get in as a junior every year. The UW doesn't have a separate quota for juniors, so those who do rush are usually cut by at least a couple houses for it.

If you're looking to make it into one of the "top" groups, you probably won't as a junior. But if your goal isn't that ambitious, and you just want to make it into a sorority you like, you can probably find a home here.

I would recommend doing everything you can to counteract the "stigma" of being a junior. If you're not going to graduate on time (VERY common here at the UW ), make sure you mention that to the girls that are rushing you. If you can get recommendations for any groups, do it. And if you're cut heavily, you might find it easier to get in as an upperclass(wo)man via COB or spring rush. For some reason, it's easy to fall through the cracks during UW rush.

The Greek system has a new website at www.uwgreek.com if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, and please share your rush story with us on the board -- I know we'd all love to hear it. Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll answer them as best as I can. Since we have rules about contact with PNMs, I may not be able to tell you what you want to know, but I'll answer the things I can.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Your greek life site is really nicely done !!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Yay! A new rush thread! And the second with SDT! Good luck and keep us updates! (P.S. Nice greek site!)

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-17-2003, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Good luck MiAngel--I've added you to "Who's rushing in the fall??"
Old 08-17-2003, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you were honest sugar and spice...I figured as much that being a junior wouldnt be the best, but if the house thinks I dont have as much to give as a new freshman...I don't want to be there any way. I also noticed you are a Tri Delta...They had a really cute booth at some student org thing that I went too...I stopped by to look and they were more than friendly!

Maybe you could help me with this too...how dressy are the events? Are jeans OK for some of the 1st rounds? And I dont know anyone else who is rushing...is it OK to fo by yourself...or does that look weird? Anyway...Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

I'm so excited for August 30th!!
Old 08-17-2003, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

PS I also was a transfer...I transfered from UWM for my boyfriend last year...but we broke up...so yeah Im a big dork for going for him but I love Madison!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Good luck! I hope you find a home during recruitment.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

have fun and think of it as a learning experience. let your super personality show through and you should be successful.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing sugar and spice didn't mention, at least that I saw, is that recs aren't very necessary -- but they will make you stand out, esp. if you're interested in one of the "top" groups! Good luck and please share your rush thread with us!

-a UW-Pville/Marquette greek
Old 08-18-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay for transfer students!

You'll get a booklet at rush orientation that will offer suggestions on what to wear. Jeans are fairly common during Round 1, but nice pants, capris, or skirts are better. Clothes aren't as important as they are at some other schools. As long as you look nice and put-together, they probably won't count towards or against you. As for rushing by yourself -- it's fine. I think it's probably about half and half of girls who rush by themselves and those who rush with their friends. You'll probably make friends within your Rho Chi group, anyway.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your help! Im sorry for the little hiatus but I just moved in to my apartment and it has taken awhile to get settled...the last tenants trashed the place and management is slow to repair their damage..15 holes patched up and brand new carpet so far...now if only we could get someone to fix the screens on our windows. I want the fresh air but not the bugs.

By the way is anyone else in the Midest just melting under this humidy??? I don't have AC so Ive been at the mall trying to cool off and buying some cute clothes for recruitment in my spare time.

Well anyway for those of you still intrested in this post only 9 MORE DAYS!!! YEY!!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
YEAH! We're so happy that you're back! These nine days are going to drag for all of us! Can't wait to hear your story!

aj
Old 08-22-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Woah, woah, woah, how did I miss this? I feel the need to add in my two cents, seeing as how my counterparts (S & S & GeekyPenguin) have already given theirs.

Welcome to another Cheesehead! I'm from Madison and attend school in Appleton.

And yes, I'm melting in my new apartment in Appleton, with high humidity and without A/C.

Hope you stick around GC, and maybe we can turn our WI Sorority Girl Trio into a Quartet.

Having grown up in Madison and watched the action at UW, I looked askance at sororities until I got here. Things at Madtown are WAY different than they are here at LU, so I'll let S & S take care of the details. But do keep us posted. I consider UW my quasi-alma-mater, just 'cuz I'm from there, so I'm always glad to hear stories of what's up there.

Okay, enough randomness. I'm starting to sound like Earp (minus the typos). Welcome!