GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,259
2 members and 1,257 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Social Events with alcohol- How do you prevent underage drinkers?

Hey guys!

So my chapter (and my school) is very small. We have 56 members and for the very first time this semester we are having alcohol at formal (crazy I know ) We have a big pre-gaming problem, which is against our risk management policy. So in an effort to prevent people from having too much to drink before the event, we are providing alcohol so that we can monitor it. This brings in a new problem though. Our rules will prevent under 21 members from buying drinks (we have to check id's twice and we give wristbands) but I know that older members will try to buy for younger members. So what is a good way for us to prevent that? send them to discipline? send them home? fine them? I'm curious how other chapters prevent this and also how they handle this when it happens (cause it obviously will)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM

Can you clarify the statement, "we are providing alcohol"?

Are you saying that the chapter itself is selling the drinks, or you are at a venue and have a bar set up?

Can you also let us know if you are part of a national group or a local? That will help with answers.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok let me clarify. e are not providing alcohol because its against our policy. We are allowing alcohol through a cash bar. This is for a Phi Mu chapter by the way.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Alcohol at a CASH bar is not going to stop pregaming, it'll probably exacerbate it (so people can save money).

Pretty much the only way to prevent it is to have buses to and from the event and no one who's been drinking is allowed on.

As far as the bar itself - you do mean this is at a hotel or restaurant bar right? Please don't say you're being your own bartenders, that is about a zillion times worse than the pregaming.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, a social event with alcohol require liscensed bartenders and security. We all take busses and before getting on everyone is checked to make sure they arent bringing alcohol in. If you are drunk, act drunk, or look drunk when you arrive or any time during the event you are sent home. ID's are checked at the door by an officer and at the bar by a bartender. the bartender is also given a list of each person there with their names and birthdates. I know that it will not eliminate pre-gaming. But I think it will reduce it because right now, girls have the attitude like "I won't be able to drink for 4 hours, I better do all my drinking for the night right now in 1 hour"

Anyway, my question was not regarding pre-gaming. I asked how other organizations prevent older members providing drinks to younger members (again I know I can't eliminate it, I'm not stupid). Like what are the consequences in your chapter if someone got caught giving an underage member a drink?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM

I would think that once you're in the bar, that's the bar's responsibility to prevent that...it is part of why you have events with a 3rd party vendor in the first place. Someone else can probably help with what I'm trying to say, but if you discipline people for doing that, you're removing the liability from the TPV and putting it on yourself.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Your best bet is to assume people are going to do everything to break the rules and to structure things so that they are exposed to the least amount of risk possible. You'll need buses to and from the event, hire a cash bar with its own liability insurance. You'll need to have adequate security using wristbands for people who are of age. Ideally, you'll hold this event at a hotel or bus over to a hotel after the event where everyone can safely sleep it off.

I hate the idea of having officers check IDs, use your security people so that there is no resulting drama from any shenanigans which may ensue.

As far as discipline, it's not any of our places to even suggest what your organization's internal standards should be. It's hard to imagine that your chapter has never had to deal with a drunk or disorderly member in its entire history. Use that experience, don't reinvent the wheel.

Also, there should be some members--officers/alumnae advisors who should be on the site who remain sober and able to make major decisions should anything bad happen.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Please talk to your chapter advisors. My group has suggested guidelines for these very issues, and I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that Phi Mu has something already written for you to reference. If your advisors are unclear, I'm sure there's someone at HQ who can direct you where to find the info.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

As far as discipline, it's not any of our places to even suggest what your organization's internal standards should be. It's hard to imagine that your chapter has never had to deal with a drunk or disorderly member in its entire history. Use that experience, don't reinvent the wheel.
We actually don't have any history because this is the first event EVER that my chapter will have alcohol at. So we don't have anything really set in place for that situation, so it's my job, along with our e-board, to create something. Thats why I am looking for ideas. I was just curious how other chapters handle it.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Kevin outlined very well how to proceed. Let your members know that anyone who breaks the rules will be sent home in a taxi at her personal expense and will attend a standards hearing, which might possibly result in the termination of her membership. I believe that Zeta has a form that all members have to sign before an event with alcohol-sort of a disclaimer form where the member acknowledges her rights and obligations and the consequences that may result if the rules and guidelines are not followed. I bet your headquarters does too. It is typically given to the members several chapter meetings prior to the event. Check with them.

For liability reasons, we advisors never attended functions where alcohol would be served.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

You can also instruct the venue to only serve one drink at a time to a person. That will cut down on some of the illegal providing.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You can also instruct the venue to only serve one drink at a time to a person. That will cut down on some of the illegal providing.
Or even dole out a certain number of drink tickets. Don't pass out enough tickets than any one person can get sloppy drunk unless they're pooling the tickets of several other guests.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Kevin, give 2 drink tickets per person. Remind everyone that this is a "formal social" function and we do not want sloppy drunks and problems.

When the tickets are used up, no more alcohol can be given out.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichaTheCat View Post
We actually don't have any history because this is the first event EVER that my chapter will have alcohol at. So we don't have anything really set in place for that situation, so it's my job, along with our e-board, to create something. Thats why I am looking for ideas. I was just curious how other chapters handle it.
Talk to your chapter adviser and your AOFD (Area Operations and Finance Director). They can walk you through Phi Mu policies and the process of holding members accountable if they break policies.