GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,271
4 members and 1,267 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Fire Code Violations Cause House Condemnations

Risk management can include making sure that a house is up to code, right? At West Virginia University fire code violations have led to the condemnation of several fraternity houses -- most recently, Pi Kappa Phi, Phi Gamma Delta, and Phi Sigma Kappa. Two other houses were condemned not long ago: Delta Tau Delta and Beta Theta Pi.

http://sundaygazettemail.com/section...007052313?pt=0

Brief excerpts from article:

“. . . I think that these violations by now are so common place and the amount of money to correct them so great that alumni are not interested in reinvesting. Some are being shut down,” Fetty [fire chief] said. “These are not simple things to correct.”

Pi Kappa Phi and Phi Sigma Kappa have asked to be included in the Greek Housing Initiative, a WVU program in which the university buys or leases a house and provides all future oversight and maintenance, Justice [a dean of student affairs]said.

Last edited by exlurker; 05-24-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
As a member of Beta at WVU, I'll be the first to say that some of the houses were not in the greatest shape by any means.

However, the school is under a land crunch right now with the Fraternities occupying some of the most valuable land in town.

Right now the school is trying to promote a 'Greek Village' which will displace fraternities that have a 100+ year heritage in their current location.

This is just another example of a land grab by schools at the cost of displacing Greeks.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:32 PM

Do the Greek houses currently pay property tax to Morgantown? If they go into the Greek Village, will that be considered on campus (i.e. no property tax needs to be paid)?

If that's the case, I would make the townspeople aware that they may lose beaucoup $$$ if that plan goes through...
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know, there is no property tax. However I could be completely mistaken.

I don't think that it would matter in any event b/c WVU OWNS Morgantown. Whatever they want, they get.

Even in the event that we do pay taxes, the new location would still be within city limits so no tax revenue would be lost.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I don't pretend to know the specifics of WVU, but at many schools, the land under the fraternity houses is owned by each respective fraternity/house corp board, and thus pays taxes to the city like other homeowners. If the university were to buy the land, however, the university would not pay taxes (or would pay significantly less than the current hcb pays). And, the value of the new land ( = tax assessment) that the fraternities would move to would likely not be as high as the value of the land closer to the university where they used to be.

They were trying to sell people on the idea of a Greek Village a few years ago when I was at Minnesota. Tear down 120 year-old mansions for a greek village/dorm style housing??!! No, thank you!

A problem we're having at Wisconsin now is that ( in an effort to crack down on house parties) the fire department has attached an arbitrary number of 99 members as being each house's capacity. The thing is, many houses have more than 120 members. Obviously, they don't all live-in, but just at weekly meetings they could be breaking the fire codes by having all their members present and in one area!

TEII
Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I often wonder if this is not just a way for the Town to see how far they can force the GLOs off of campus?

What about nursing homes or appartments with out sprinkler systems?

Do they hone in on Greeks? Of course they do.

The town and schools are under the impresitions that We are laden with money!

Morons!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Another One -- Update May 25, 2007

The Phi Delta Theta house at WVU has been shut down for code violations, too, this report says:

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cf...&storyid=24275

Excerpts:

. . . Morgantown Fire Chief Dave Fetty said every frat that has been shut down, so far, had also been shut down in the past.

Fetty said it seems the code corrections are made, but then destroyed within a year. . . .

Edited to add: It may be that "the town" and the university are pushing strong enforcement to pressure Greeks into selling valuable property. Even I am not so naive as to believe that can't happen. At the same time, though, "the town" and the university both have an interest in making sure Greek housing meets applicable fire codes. A death in a fire in a Greek house, or even just a fire-related injury or fire damage to property, can set off an investigation. When something like that happens, "the town" and WVU would most likely want the record to show timely inspections and follow-up. Because They Care Deeply, sure, but also to avoid negative publicity or a lawsuit.

Last edited by exlurker; 05-25-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of the houses are not in tip top shape by any means. However, in the past what was counted as a minor violation is not condemning houses.

Additionally, the Greek Office has been extremely worthless the past decade or so. IFC has no bearing on frats, nor does the school take any interest until recently. The Mayor of Morgantown is also a WVU employee, he is the Head of Greek Affairs at WVU.

Tell me there is no conflict of interest here...
Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
Some of the houses are not in tip top shape by any means. However, in the past what was counted as a minor violation is not condemning houses.

Additionally, the Greek Office has been extremely worthless the past decade or so. IFC has no bearing on frats, nor does the school take any interest until recently. The Mayor of Morgantown is also a WVU employee, he is the Head of Greek Affairs at WVU.

Tell me there is no conflict of interest here...
To true. The problem is the short sightedness of the schools and the cities to grap land!

Who are the most viable and active people on campus in many ways? The Greeks.

I guess the important names from all of the GLOs are forgotten when it comes to land and what schools want for expansion.

How many big names of members are in so many funtions of our lives?

I would also say yes, GLO housing will have to pay property taxes. It is making money for the city and county! If any are in doubt, you had better check with your House Corporations and I am sure they will tell you!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-26-2007, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk about a rock and hard place situation...my LCA chapter has turned thumbs down on potential Alumni Advisors because of who they're engaged or married to (generally someone within Greek Life or the University administration).

On the other hand, there may be some benefit to this sort of arrangement. RE: 3rd party booze vendors, let's pretend that the University policy says "x" while the city says "y". Having the Greek Life director in a position of authority could be a great advantage.

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."