GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike

Old 03-24-2003, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yearbook

Hi everyone, I'm new around here but have a question....

I am interested in working on a Yearbook for my chapter. I feel that the description from international is a little vague, so have any of you made a yearbook for your chapter? If so what have you done?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2003, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

hi!

Welcome to GreekChat, Amanda!
My chapter was just formed last semester, so we haven't done a yearbook yet. We are definitely going to do one for next year though. I didn't really understand what Beta yearbooks are all about until I saw the most recent issue of the Torch. That helped a lot. We are going to use the last couple of meetings this semester to plan events for next year and gather member info. Then, a small committee of sisters will be compiling the material (sister info pages and calendar pages) to be distributed at the start of the fall term. I can't wait to have a whole year planned in advance (as best we can anyway), since the biggest problem we have encountered so far was last minute planning and difficulties scheduling events.

Good luck, and I'm glad you found your way to GC.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 03-25-2003, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Amanda!

I'd also like to welcome you to the BSP forum. The more sisters we get on here, the better!

Although I'm fairly new to BSP (I'm still pledging), my chapter has been esablished for a while, and we do have a yearbook. I thought I'd give you a list of what we have; maybe you can use some ideas for yours!

Contents of Yearbook:
-a plastic zippy pencil holder (the kind that fit into 3-ring binders)
-Opening and Closing Rituals and Mizpah (done up with a nice border
-meeting dates and who's hosting
-social dates, who's hosting, and what the event is
-calendar pages with important dates (meetings, socials, b-days, anniversarys, holidays)
-roster with member's address, phone numbers (home, cell, and work), and e-mail addys
-sister pages (if you want more details on these, just ask)
-directions to everyone's house (if you have meetings at houses, and not at a school building, library, etc.)
-current officers
-duties of the officers
-committees (names of, brief description of, and who's on which one)
-chapter by-laws and traditions
-awards; who won woman of the year, perfect attendance, program of the year, sisterhood award
-stars of the past; who won the above-mentioned awards and when
-copy of the chapter charter
-"how to wear your pin" (from the Dec. 96 TORCH)
-loose leaf paper
-extra paper protectors (all above-mentioned papers are in paper protectors)

Hope this helps!

Beta love,
Nicole
Old 03-26-2003, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I have another question....

When does your yearbook start (month)?

This isn't like a normal school yearbook right? I was looking through the torch and it says the winners were for the 2002-2003 year, so they don't have everything in there because it hasn't started yet? I hope this makes sense. I was thinking of just recording our school year and then making the memories, but this seems different.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
RE: yearbooks

Hi Amanda and Nicole

Welcome to GC Amanada. (not sure if this will help you or not) It is traditional for the historian/scrapbook to pass scrapbooks at the close of the sorority year; we get ours in May 2003. Then anything done from June on (informal meetings/photos w/new exec, etc.) would be used for the new sorority year (this is the process within our City Council) in California. My chapter is a career chapter so we meet every month (our schedule is a little different than the traditional format chapters) Please let me know if it is done differently in your region of the country; are any of the collegiate chapters using the career format for their meetings?

Michelle

p.s. ooopppsss I stand corrected - I think of the scrapbook as a "yearbook" a summary of what we have done (like a HS yearbook); I'm still learning as you can see updated 3/27 9:34 pm pst

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 03-28-2003 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It was my impression that yearbooks were distributed on Beginning Day in August. The yearbook lists all of the activities for the upcoming year, plus sister info like Nicole described.

Amanda, it sounds like you are more interested in distributing an annual scrapbook. That sounds like a great idea. You could have pictures and little notes from sisters describing their favorite memories of the year. I would love to have something like that!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 03-27-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

We get our yearbooks/updated pages in August, after the new officers are installed and awards handed out in June. (Basically, our "year" runs from August to June.)
Old 03-29-2003, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger
Yearbooks typically contain information about what your chapter has done and will do in the upcoming year. Most of the time, books are prepaired after April because that's when most chapters announce their woman of the year (at least down here they do). Most chapters take it easy during the summer months which might work out for some of your members that might go home for the summer. Yearbooks here are passed out in August, which gives us a good amount of time to work on them during the summer. The above mentioned list is so good that I can't think of ANYTHING else to tell you guys what it should have. Have fun with it and remember that each yearbook is specific to their chapter. They don't all have to be the same.

Beta Hugs,
Bernadette