GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,337
0 members and 1,337 guests
No Members online

Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

For those that have a selection - did you feel like you needed (or should) choose either your sorority's jewel(s) or jewels in your sorority colours? I always felt if I'd had a choice I'd want to keep it with sorority colour/jewel for some reason.
That's a good question. We don't have a choice in KD but I can't imagine putting sapphires, for example, on a KD badge. It would just seem strange to me.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since we're only allowed diamonds and pearls on Alpha Phi badges, I'm always intrigued with the sorority badges that have a selection of stones available.

For those that have a selection - did you feel like you needed (or should) choose either your sorority's jewel(s) or jewels in your sorority colours? I always felt if I'd had a choice I'd want to keep it with sorority colour/jewel for some reason.
I did. That is keep it with in my ADPI colors it is alternating saphires and pearls. I did go with saphires, a darker blue...although the aqua marine may be closer to our actual colors. I may be a little biased as my highschool and college color is also blue. So this may have had something to do with that too, my class ring also has saphires and cz on it. I've noticed within my chapter most girls stick with one form of the blue and pearls, or the plainest pin available. The only other gem I would of put on it would of been a pink gem and thats only because pink is completely the color of my life, so maybe if that was an option.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Since we're only allowed diamonds and pearls on Alpha Phi badges, I'm always intrigued with the sorority badges that have a selection of stones available.

Most of my pledge class chose the pearls with their birthstone as the points or all pearls. I ordered the pearls with sapphire points, as that's my birthstone. Others were topaz, aquamarine, ruby, garnet, emeralds and all opals. My own problem was that I wore white gold at the time, but haven't since I graduated. It's always with a little surprise that I actually choose to wear my white gold pin, instead of one of the yellow golds ones!

I know of one chapter which only allows aquamarine, blue topaz or sapphire points.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That's a little tricky for Gamma Phi Beta. We don't have an official jewel and with our colors being brown and mode the most logical stone choice would be brown topez, which isn't offered. Many of our early badges had a variety of stones, so I feel that having the option of choosing different stones is still within the keeping of our history.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I was stunned to discover that pearls aren't our official jewels - they are mentioned in quite a few of our songs, for example. I wonder if we should remedy that, and make them official? Hmmm . . . convention this year . . .
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
This was a lucky break. For years I had been searching ebay for a pin from the local sorority (Kappa Xi) that became my chapter of Kappa Delta at Maryland. Finally, it showed up along with the owner's KD badge. She was a chapter founder in 1929:
That is amazing! How cool.

You're other badges are beautiful, BTW! I love all the diamond badges...how expensive were those?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Phi Mu has no official jewel. While pearls tend to be prominent, I don't think anyone would want only pearls, pink sapphires, or diamond as options. Many girls HATE pink and have a strong reaction to it. I suspect that may be a smaller reason as to why we do have so many options. It is a lil random to see green or blue on a Phi Mu badge, but I love that we have the option to do it and would be very vocal in the event that the option were to be taken away. However, I feel that is unlikely as they just started offering a turquoise stone badge since our convention is in AZ! Randomness! I'd love a white gold option, that'd be nice.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

SO excited about all of the new pics!!! Thanks to all for posting!!!! Absolutely gorgeous, all of them. And I am completely in love with all of the historical information in this thread, it's so nice read.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Phi Mu has no official jewel. While pearls tend to be prominent, I don't think anyone would want only pearls, pink sapphires, or diamond as options. Many girls HATE pink and have a strong reaction to it. I suspect that may be a smaller reason as to why we do have so many options. It is a lil random to see green or blue on a Phi Mu badge, but I love that we have the option to do it and would be very vocal in the event that the option were to be taken away. However, I feel that is unlikely as they just started offering a turquoise stone badge since our convention is in AZ! Randomness! I'd love a white gold option, that'd be nice.
I had to go in search of the turquoise badge.

Extremely beautiful and unique!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4girls View Post
I had to go in search of the turquoise badge.

Can you imagine this in white gold?! Beautiful!!

AOII

Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That is amazing! How cool.

You're other badges are beautiful, BTW! I love all the diamond badges...how expensive were those?
Thanks!
The diamond and emerald one was the most expensive...about $300. The rest were about $100 to $150 each.

It's frustrating that ebay doesn't show the bidder's name anymore. I used to be able to tell if another KD was bidding or if it was a collector. I'm kind of winding down now as far as saving KD badges goes. I have 115 of them. That's enough!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks!
The diamond and emerald one was the most expensive...about $300. The rest were about $100 to $150 each.

It's frustrating that ebay doesn't show the bidder's name anymore. I used to be able to tell if another KD was bidding or if it was a collector. I'm kind of winding down now as far as saving KD badges goes. I have 115 of them. That's enough!
Wow! That is a HUGE collection! I've bought around 12 so far but only have about 9 right now. I'd have to spend a fortune to get that many!

AOII

Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks!

picking my mouth off of the ground!!! and now screaming for pictures!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie Anne, thanks for posting some of your KD pins! I will try to take some pics of mine. I don't have anything as old as 1909, but do have some nice ones, and a variety of sizes.

Re the colors of jewels. Personally, I am glad we have pearl, diamond and emerald as choices, since those are our colors, and I can't imagine a KD badge with rubies or sapphires, for example. I do have to admit, I wish we had opals as an option. I would pay big bucks for a KD badge of opals with emerald points...... drool....

For all of you posting in this great thread, thank you and keep them coming. The Adelphian and Philomathean badges are amazing. Are there any really old Theta and Alpha Chi badges out there?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4girls View Post

Simply stunning! Most people want to automatically put turquoise on silver, but I think it looks richer on yellow gold. *wishing we had turquoise as a choice!*

Quote:
Thanks!

I don't know whether to swoon, or to dare you to wear them all at once! Of course, you'd fall face down immediately, but after picturing the idea, wouldn't fabric with every badge option look terribly interesting? Or is it just because I've spent the day looking for a wonderful semi-formal dress?