GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Non Greek Letter (NGL) > Groove Phi Groove

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,522
3 members and 1,519 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

UNCC 49er Chapter helps Charter University of Kentucky Wildcat Chapter

As seen on GUSA

On August 31,2008 in Greensboro during the Atlantic Regional Conference The Orientation concluded for the Ship named Kentucky Derby which included new Fellowman Jason " The Colonel" Cumberlander from the University of Kentucky-Wildcat Chapter(Proposed). Jason will be in his 3rd year as an Engineering Major and was in Charlotte for the summer doing intern work when he contacted UNCC Fellwomen about the possiblity of joinining the Fellowship. His Best friend Fl. Percy Flemming (04'Aggie Chapter-NC A&T Alumini) Indianapolis Graduate Chapter got the ball rolling in linking up the UG Chapter and himself. Let's raise our mugs high for the new Fellowman!!!

Heres a recent article on him from School....

NSBE President Jason Cumberlander at Osram Sylvania

Jason Cumberlander worked for Osram Sylvania Engineering in Versailles , KY. He is majoring in Civil Engineering and is the '07-'08 president of the UK student chapter of NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers). Jason graduated from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis , IN

"For my second work tour at Sylvania , I had a chance to see my work and studies come together with the completion of Unit 44. This unit is a line previously used at the Drummondville plant in Canada . That line ran T12 light bulbs, but due to the creation of the more energy efficient T8 version, it was time for a change in Canada and a new line setup in Versailles . I was on a team charged with determining the best location to squeeze the line and massive machines into an already full factory in Versailles .

At the end of my first tour I started drawing up different ideas on how the line could be placed. Once the machines arrived on my second tour, my main task was to help the team of construction workers strategically place the equipment so that the ventilation system and air conditioning systems could be properly used. This is important due to the fact that we use mercury in our lamps and the heat that it takes to properly make the lamps can rise to temperatures above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Placing the machines in the proper place was kind of like playing with large Legos. I had progressed from doing half electrical work and some planning to serious Project and construction management.

This time, I had more responsibility for my work. The most important thing I learned was too plan, and when you think you have it perfect, review and plan again. Once construction started, it really started to hit me that every little tiny problem we worked out in meetings was really important. I never felt unprepared or nervous during all this; I wish I would have felt like this during calculus II.

As long as you have your assignments done on time and are able to explain what you did, you will have no problem working at Sylvania . It's a pretty laid back community at the plant. If you love classic cars, there are several collectors. Some of the mechanics run their on machine shop businesses, build drag cars, and run large farms. It was not difficult to become close with some of the workers. My only complaint is it is a little hot inside the plant, but that is expected due to the face that we make glass.

My advice to any body deciding about college is that they should really consider engineering. Even though it is a tough curriculum you can take breaks, get experience, and earn great money with no homework. Everyone I know who has co-oped and finished their degree ended up making $50,000 and up on their first job after graduation. Now compare that to the $30,000 you will make with a degree in other majors. The best thing was - I bought a car and paid a lot on my college loans."

Got Guts-Pledge Groove
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on the new chapter!