GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,935
0 members and 1,935 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonl View Post
Thanks everyone!

I would like a winter wedding- ideally January or early February. We are Catholic, so we might not be able to marry during Advent (December) or Lent (starts in Feb usually). Winter is slowly becoming my favorite season.

I'm thinking I'd like dark, non-vomit-inducing, pink bridemaid dresses.
Generally only Sundays of Advent are prohibited, not a marriage during the Advent season - so you could probably still get married during Advent as long as you didn't want a Sunday. Getting married during Lent tends to come with a lot of restrictions if it's allowed, so I would definitely avoid that.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonl View Post
Thanks everyone!

I would like a winter wedding- ideally January or early February. We are Catholic, so we might not be able to marry during Advent (December) or Lent (starts in Feb usually). Winter is slowly becoming my favorite season.

I'm thinking I'd like dark, non-vomit-inducing, pink bridemaid dresses.
I saw a wedding here in NYC the Saturday after Thanksgiving when I went up to see the church I'm getting married at. Bridesmaids in a dark shade of pink & instead of flowers, they carried fur muffs on their hands. It was cute! I think if you look around you'll find the right shade of pink.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
Generally only Sundays of Advent are prohibited, not a marriage during the Advent season - so you could probably still get married during Advent as long as you didn't want a Sunday. Getting married during Lent tends to come with a lot of restrictions if it's allowed, so I would definitely avoid that.
I was under the impression that Christian churches wouldn't perform marriages on Sundays?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi Phi View Post
I was under the impression that Christian churches wouldn't perform marriages on Sundays?
Catholic churches can - it's not too common but it's allowed.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
Catholic churches can - it's not too common but it's allowed.
Ahhh, I didn't know that.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

What colors can acceptably be worn to a shotgun wedding?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
What colors can acceptably be worn to a shotgun wedding?
Billy Idol says white is ok.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

bump!-another wedding thread
Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Back in the day, my parents wanted to get married during Lent, but couldn't - so they got married the Sunday before. This was in a Baptist church. My Baptist church doesn't do weddings on Sundays, but only because there's just too much going on, and the wedding could easily be ruined.

I never heard of the Advent prohibition, though.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to a Saturday wedding in Advent (Catholic) just last year. Not a prohibition. Lent is another story though. I had to wait to get both of my kids baptised until after Easter.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

In the Catholic Church marriage during Lent and Advent are discouraged due to the seriousness of the season and the difference of the mood between Lent/Advent and the celebration of a marriage.

It doesn't mean it never happens, and it would depend on the local priests or possibly approval by the bishop.
Found this:
"When a marriage is celebrated during Advent or Lent or other days of penance, the parish priest should advise the couple to take into consideration the special nature of these liturgical seasons."
Quote:
The new (2002) official English translation of the new (2000) edition of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal has this directive, which I think covers "Anon's" query:

"305. Moderation should be observed in the decoration of the altar [throughout the whole year].
During Advent the floral decoration of the altar should be marked by a moderation suited to the character of this season, without expressing prematurely the full joy of the Nativity of the Lord.
During Lent it is forbidden for the altar to be decorated with flowers. Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts are exceptions.
Floral decorations should always be done with moderation and placed around the altar rather than on its mensa [table-top]."

From this, it follows that a wedding in Lent, with some festive spirit and flowers, is best celebrated on Laetare Sunday or on one of the special days known as "solemnities" and "feasts" (but not ordinary "memorials"). In 2003, there were no "feasts," but there were two solemnities:
March 19: Solemnity of St. Joseph, Husband of Mary.
March 25: Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord.
ETA: http://www.nccbuscc.org/liturgy/q&a/...calendar.shtml

Prohibiting baptism during lent is probably not correct but not terribly uncommon. It would depend on how long you were made to wait (for the RCC that is.) Kind of like removing the holy water from the font(s). Not supposed to happen, does all the time.

Last edited by Drolefille; 08-21-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I went to a Saturday wedding in Advent (Catholic) just last year. Not a prohibition. Lent is another story though. I had to wait to get both of my kids baptised until after Easter.
Strange. I thought Church practice was to get babies baptized as soon as possible after birth, because unbaptized babies who die cannot go to heaven. When I was born, my parents' parish's pastor was after them to get me baptized ASAP. I was baptized about three weeks after I was born (and during Advent).
Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Strange. I thought Church practice was to get babies baptized as soon as possible after birth, because unbaptized babies who die cannot go to heaven. When I was born, my parents' parish's pastor was after them to get me baptized ASAP. I was baptized about three weeks after I was born (and during Advent).
You're supposed to have a baby baptized within 2-3 weeks of birth. However the RCC pretty much rolls with "well God's merciful they'll go to heaven" these days. Even if waiting til the end of Lent were a legit option (and I'm pretty sure it isn't technically ok) if the baby was in danger of dying s/he would be able to receive the sacrament anyway.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You're supposed to have a baby baptized within 2-3 weeks of birth. However the RCC pretty much rolls with "well God's merciful they'll go to heaven" these days. Even if waiting til the end of Lent were a legit option (and I'm pretty sure it isn't technically ok) if the baby was in danger of dying s/he would be able to receive the sacrament anyway.
Yep, and even nowadays, I was taught that a person not of the cloth can do a baptism in certain circumstances (emergencies when priest or deacon not available). And really, so many churches observe so many different things these days. Our church does things differently than my in-laws church. And my brother and sister in law were married by a priest in a park (outdoor ceremonies are supposed to be a big Catholic no-no).

Both of my kids are late December babies, and Lent started in February. Had to plan around my moms work schedule, plus Godparents schedule (we live 2-4 hours away from all of our family), and our church wouldn't do more than 4 on a Sunday. Which put us into Lent, and therefore after Lent. Both kids were about 4 months. No biggie.

Last edited by IrishLake; 08-21-2010 at 07:19 PM.