GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,402
2 members and 2,400 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

All White People Are RACIST!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/molly-..._b_458434.html
DISCLAIMER- I normally can't stomach the Huff Post but I do end up on the site about once a month out of morbid curiosity.

Hmmmm, didn't know John Mayer spoke for all white people. The author looks white herself.

"Mayer is exhibit 'A' when illustrating that racism resides within all white people. No exception. Sorry. Whether you are a hip, young liberal white guy who has played music with famous black musicians or a guy working at a factory in a rural Kentucky.

One cannot be raised in these United States with the history of racial oppression and hatred and not be racist."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Everyone's a Little Bit Racist.

Sorry.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Beat me to it, MC!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL.

yea, assuming one person speaks for the entire race is pretty stupid.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
LOL.

Well I mean it seems like people certainly think that about Black people. Apparently Al Sharpton speaks for all of US. Soooo now White people are just getting a taste of how it feels to have people think one person speaks for the whole race. It really is nothing new. But I think most people know that John Mayer is speaking for John Mayer.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

For awhile I honestly thought HuffPost was a left-leaning version of The Onion. Apparently not.
Florida Atlantic University
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Well I mean it seems like people certainly think that about Black people. Apparently Al Sharpton speaks for all of US. Soooo now White people are just getting a taste of how it feels to have people think one person speaks for the whole race. It really is nothing new. But I think most people know that John Mayer is speaking for John Mayer.
and both are just as ignorant and misinformed. being stupid twice doesn't make you smart. and if you read the comments on that blog, i'm not that many people think john mayer is speaking just for john mayer. but then again, all those blog posters may just be speaking for themselves.

:shock:

Last edited by starang21; 02-15-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

All of you are too smart to get stuck on who speaks for whom. We already know that no race has a spokesperson.

The real point is in what Mayer was HORRIBLY attempting to convey, which is what many social scientists (99% are white) have been saying based on an analysis of the structure of race and power (which is what racism is--it isn't the same thing as prejudice and it doesn't require being prejudiced or bigoted--I don't give a darn whether you disagree with this so spare me). These social scientists have theorized that whites in societies where whites are the power majority are racist through social learning and group positioning. In societies where other groups are the power majority (which doesn't automatically happen just because a group is the population majority), these groups can ALSO be racist unintentionally, inadvertently, covertly, overtly, without biased intent, etc.

Tim Wise is a mainstream white person who has made such claims for years. He and other less mainstream people have used examples of racism (and sexism) such as how they often assume that they are the lead speaker or the leader of a group of intellects just because they are the white male. They sometimes have to catch themselves in action to challenge themselves to do better. That's classic status group hierarchy right there. It is still an example of racism despite the fact that there isn't the overtly discriminatory or bigoted outcome that the media (and uninformed people, in general) has told us to expect from "racism."

Last edited by DrPhil; 02-15-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
LOL.

Al and Jesse do it all the time...
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 02-15-2010, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demost View Post
John Mayer is a typical Democrat.

Republicans judge you on the content of your character.
WTF are you serious?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 PM

John Mayer probably has no racist feelings whatsoever. His comments were an extremely misguided attempt to get away from his wuss image and be "edgy."
Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demost View Post
Republicans judge you on the content of your character.

LMAO!!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
John Mayer probably has no racist feelings whatsoever. His comments were an extremely misguided attempt to get away from his wuss image and be "edgy."
I'd go further and say that John Mayer probably has no feelings whatsoever. His music seems stale, and planned. All of his emotional stuff, crying on stage, shooting off at the mouth. It's just so...fake. Everything about the guy strikes me as insincere.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
All of you are too smart to get stuck on who speaks for whom. We already know that no race has a spokesperson.

The real point is in what Mayer was HORRIBLY attempting to convey, which is what many social scientists (99% are white) have been saying based on an analysis of the structure of race and power (which is what racism is--it isn't the same thing as prejudice and it doesn't require being prejudiced or bigoted--I don't give a darn whether you disagree with this so spare me). These social scientists have theorized that whites in societies where whites are the power majority are racist through social learning and group positioning. In societies where other groups are the power majority (which doesn't automatically happen just because a group is the population majority), these groups can ALSO be racist unintentionally, inadvertently, covertly, overtly, without biased intent, etc.

Tim Wise is a mainstream white person who has made such claims for years. He and other less mainstream people have used examples of racism (and sexism) such as how they often assume that they are the lead speaker or the leader of a group of intellects just because they are the white male. They sometimes have to catch themselves in action to challenge themselves to do better. That's classic status group hierarchy right there. It is still an example of racism despite the fact that there isn't the overtly discriminatory or bigoted outcome that the media (and uninformed people, in general) has told us to expect from "racism."

I pretty much skipped everything else (including clicking the link) to read what you would say about it, so I could just agree and move on:

I agree.

Bye.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Always turn your brain on before typing to me.